SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    7 dead in Memphis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 dead in Memphis Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Elvis is dead!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Mogadishu on the Mississippi...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Talk about a guy who was naive -- back a bunch of years ago, FedEx was buying VAX computers from Digital Equipment. I was working for the educational division of Digital, and I made many trips to the FedEx mother ship near the Memphis airport, to teach week-long courses in UNIX™, the C Programming Language, and related stuff.

I stayed in motels near the airport, and not knowing anything about the city, I would wander about in the evening, just sort of look around, and grab a meal. Frequently, maybe most of the time, mine was the only white face. Strangely, I never felt that I was in danger. Oh, and this was years before I started packing heat.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frequently, maybe most of the time, mine was the only white face. Strangely, I never felt that I was in danger. Oh, and this was years before I started packing heat.

You probably weren't in danger back then... as long as you weren't engaged in drug activity. The senseless, meaningless, sometimes random violence is a more recent development.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Walked from near downtown to Sun Studios, not a problem. I stayed alert, though.

Empire of the Sun

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned Elvis on page 1. I remember several years ago, maybe 4 or 5, I had an overnight in Memphis. I think it was around the holidays, as nothing was open...it might have been New Year's Eve. Anyway, the hotel, which was in a sketchy area, kindly had their shuttle take us to a REALLY good local catfish place...me and the F/O. After we ate, we called the hotel for the van to come pick us up. The driver asked us if we had ever seen Graceland...neither one of us had. He took a left out of the parking lot and maybe 2 miles down the road was Graceland.....in the freaking GHETTO man!!! I was kinda shocked and I bet Elvis is spinning in his grave.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Someone mentioned Elvis on page 1. I remember several years ago, maybe 4 or 5, I had an overnight in Memphis. I think it was around the holidays, as nothing was open...it might have been New Year's Eve. Anyway, the hotel, which was in a sketchy area, kindly had their shuttle take us to a REALLY good local catfish place...me and the F/O. After we ate, we called the hotel for the van to come pick us up. The driver asked us if we had ever seen Graceland...neither one of us had. He took a left out of the parking lot and maybe 2 miles down the road was Graceland.....in the freaking GHETTO man!!! I was kinda shocked and I bet Elvis is spinning in his grave.

I went to Graceland in 88 and felt it was sort of out of the way until a kindly older lady explained where it was when it was built.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I read that Memphis has hired more new LEO's over the past 5 years than any other PD in the country. (new positions)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
Yea, Memphis has a higher murder rate than Chicago, measured by population. However, Chicago has far more actual murders. Ironically, both these cities are closer to the median murder rate (of the list), and have about half the murder rates of those cities at the top of the list: Gary, IN; St. Louis, MO; Waynesboro, PA; and Baltimore, MD.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Signed the contract on a house one county over yesterday.

Congratulations !! We moved one county north in 2000. 20x the land and twice the house and property taxes are less than half of what they were in Memphis.

You boys are gettin' it all wrong! All the fun is one county DOWN, not over or up. This here's chess, not checkers....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Never a dull moment. Carry a gun do I? Hell I usually carry at least 2 with spare mags for each.

In a low turnout election the dems just took the county mayor and county sheriffs seats. I voted at lunch downtown (should have been really busy). Parking lot full of dems handing out the "voting guides". 6 poll workers. 15 machines. I was the only SOB voting, no line, nobody else at a machine. Sad.

Signed the contract on a house one county over yesterday.

That's really bad for Memphis, but once again really good for Desoto county and its economy.

We will benefit with yet another influx of folks from across the cultural spectrum fleeing the bad economy, the majority of whom will bring a better-than-average income with them when they move out. Helps us, hurts Memphis, but hey-them's the breaks!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chicago has far more actual murders. Ironically, both these cities are closer to the median murder rate (of the list), and have about half the murder rates of those cities at the top of the list: Gary, IN; St. Louis, MO; Waynesboro, PA; and Baltimore, MD.

These comparisons are not equal because local governments are structured differently. Gary, IN is a suburb of Chicago, on the south side, and more representative of the south side of Chicago than the actual statistics for of Chicago which has a huge population, much of it not in the rough areas.

The population of the City of St. Louis has been in rapid decline ever since they passed the City earnings tax and anyone with significant earnings (read: a job) has moved to the County.
The City of St. Louis separated itself from the County in 1876, but now wants to be readmitted into the County. Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will benefit with yet another influx of folks from across the cultural spectrum fleeing the bad economy, the majority of whom will bring a better-than-average income with them when they move out. Helps us, hurts Memphis, but hey-them's the breaks!

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe write it down and frame it and put it on the kitchen wall. Then move it down and hang it on the basement wall in a few short years.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Might not happen like that this time, but it has the last several times that high profile changes in leadership have happened in Memphis.

Result is Desoto county has had solid growth and greater revenues in last two decades. Might not work this time, who knows.

But, I sure don't wanna have to build a basement just to hang these statements down there. With our water table? What a mess...

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Might not happen like that this time, but it has the last several times that high profile changes in leadership have happened in Memphis.

Result is Desoto county has had solid growth and greater revenues in last two decades. Might not work this time, who knows.

The man that was responsible for your population growth back then has announced he's running for Mayor again next year (Willie Herenton)

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I believe I read that Memphis has hired more new LEO's over the past 5 years than any other PD in the country. (new positions)

Actually, this is the first year in the last 5 or so that we have managed to run full classes. We are still 500 officers below where we were in 2013 and about 600 below our compliment based on population. There has been a mass exodus of officers from Memphis due to decisions of the City in regards to retirement benefits, including retroactively taking benefits from already retired and in some cases disabled employees.

Our Mayor did recently crow about hiring more officers in a year than his predecessor did in an entire term, but what he failed to note was that we are now just a break even point with attrition AND doing so involved significantly lowering hiring standards. Further, while hiring is up, no real headway has been made on retention.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post