SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    7 dead in Memphis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 dead in Memphis Login/Join 
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted
7 people were shot dead in the last 3 days in Memphis. No arrest yet. One was mowing his lawn. Seems to be random. I guess Mempho is trying to catch up to Chitown. But plainly it has to be way too many guns on the "street" whatever that means. Just not enough gun control I guess.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Wow. I didn't know about the city's composition but at 670,000 population, it's one of the largest cities in the south.

As guessed, Democrat controlled.

" The racial composition of Memphis is:

Black or African American: 62.6%
White: 31.7% (non-Hispanic: 29.5%)
Asian: 1.7% Native American: 0.2%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Other race: 2.7%
Two or more races: 1.2%
Hispanic or Latino of any race: 5.0%

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Memphis is the poorest city in the United States with a median household income of $32,285, or $37,767 for a family. 17% of families and almost 21% of the population lives below the poverty line, including 30% of people under the age of 18.
" Link Link

I sure don't know the answer, but that has to be a bad way to live. The largest age group is 20-25.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Sad... just sad.
My daughter and son-in-law just moved to Arlington, a bit north of Memphis. He works at Millington.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We livin' tha dream....

Difference in Memphis and Chicago? They had 58 people shot, 6 died. We had 10 shootings, 7 dead.

Takeaway? In Memphis, we will killify you.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thankfully - not fully Democrat controlled. But heavily influenced.

The money is in Shelby County. The city made a play recently to gain control of that but failed. So they off-loaded a major issue on the County by giving up their City School Charter. So the County took over the School system. That forced even more "White Flight" and lots of families and money left for Germantown and Collierville.

Yes - Memphis is a giant toilet with HUGE Racial Issues. And I isn't going to get better anytime soon.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a puzzler, ain't it?

Posts: 107510 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
An enigma. If my grandpa were still alive, I bet he could explain it.

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like most if not all big cities become one big toilet.

Most have good sections and awful sections, but overall the crime is aplenty.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never a dull moment. Carry a gun do I? Hell I usually carry at least 2 with spare mags for each.

In a low turnout election the dems just took the county mayor and county sheriffs seats. I voted at lunch downtown (should have been really busy). Parking lot full of dems handing out the "voting guides". 6 poll workers. 15 machines. I was the only SOB voting, no line, nobody else at a machine. Sad.

Signed the contract on a house one county over yesterday.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It was necessary to pass through Memphis coming out here. I made sure my bladder was empty and gas tank full so I wouldn't need to stop, as well as its counterpart on the other side of the Mississippi, West Memphis, AR. The interstates through the city are a mess as well. It is my understanding that a wide, straight-through route was planned but never built due to protests about "destroying communities." Roll Eyes Once you get out of the city limits everything is nice again.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We took in Beale Street and Mud Island. Mud Island with it's scale model of the Mississippi River is cool, but I didn't feel at ease at all anywhere else in Memphis and was glad to get out of there ASAP. Passing through I won't get off the interstate again.

Mud Island.
A thousand miles of the lower Mississippi River from Cairo, Illinois to New Orleans and finally to the Gulf of Mexico, where the river empties, is replicated in a section of the park called the Riverwalk. Built at the scale of 30 inches to a mile, the replica spans 2,000 feet of riverfront space where every sandbar, oxbow, and topographic contour is faithfully reproduced in cement.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/...pi-river-on-mud.html

....COUNTY..........................POPULATION
1...Shelby County...(Memphis).......936,961
2...Davidson County...(Nashville)...691,243
3...Knox County...(Knoxville).......461,860

EDIT to add:
And Graceland. We drove by but thankfully it was closed! Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember back in the 90's going to watch a basketball game with a friend at the Pyramid Arena., this was when Penny Hardaway was playing. Both of us remarked that Memphis wasn't the safest place around and there wasn't much to stick around to see/do and continue on our road trip. Granted we were quite a bit younger so, 'cultural things' weren't on our radar but, there was a continuous ghetto kind of vibe we got. I'm sure there's nice, and nicer areas but, where we went through sure made an impression. Quite the difference from Nashville.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Signed the contract on a house one county over yesterday.

Congratulations !! We moved one county north in 2000. 20x the land and twice the house and property taxes are less than half of what they were in Memphis.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
We livin' tha dream....

Difference in Memphis and Chicago? They had 58 people shot, 6 died. We had 10 shootings, 7 dead.

Takeaway? In Memphis, we will killify you.

Think of it this way ; Memphis is beating expectations by 600 %.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy

Congratulations !! We moved one county north in 2000. 20x the land and twice the house and property taxes are less than half of what they were in Memphis.

Thanks! Headed east to Fayette county.
40 acres, nicer house - less than 1/2 the taxes.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Almost wish I hadn’t seen this. My med-school daughter arrived in Memphis on Sunday to do a four week rotation at UT medical center. Now I’m going to have to tell her to be careful (again) and pray even more.

Prayers for her and her safety from SIGForum members are also greatly appreciated.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
"Mogadishu on the Mississippi" is what someone here calls Memphis.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only way to go in many parts of Memphis is with a crew served, belt fed weapon. And a back up.

Forgot the AC-130 overhead. And a helicopter extraction team on standby.

When the armed forces were sending their surgeons to train in the trauma center...you know it’s bad.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Memphis has a higher rate of homicide than Chicago based on population. I spent an evening on Beale last Fall and felt safe. There were lots of police around. We did not spend the night, but stayed at a motel several miles South.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the comedian said, Memphis, home of BBQ and murder.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post