SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scientists say adulthood begins at 30
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scientists say adulthood begins at 30 Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Tolkien was right. In hobbit land, adulthood began at age 33. Meanwhile, some states are pushing for 18 [corrected to 16] yo voting.

“If the antics of twentysomethings seem childish to you, stop worrying. For we only truly become grown up in our 30s.

While we may legally come of age at 18, the idea this is the dawn of adulthood is ‘increasingly absurd’, brain experts said yesterday.
……
Our twenties are a time when we are highly susceptible to mental health disorders, something which resolves around the age of 30…”

https://mol.im/a/6824499

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dems are pushing for 16 year old voting.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not surprised: The last I had read was the brain was not fully developed until about age 26.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I only started thinking coherently in my 60's, before then 90% of my thoughts were about sex, now it's about 50%.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
This makes me feel just a little bit better because I was an absolute immature idiot up until around 30 when I finally started thinking and acting like “a grownup”. I thought it was just me, being slow to mature, but I guess maybe I was just more “average” in that area instead.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Works for me. Voting age change to 30 then.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
In my late 20s I realized 2 things: how much I didn't know and that hangovers weren't worth the pain.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Scientists flip flop on any topic...give 'em a year or so.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Previously, I had heard 25. I must be an anomaly--I somehow skipped adolescence and went directly to adult. I started my adoloscence around age 40--actually got interested in rumbly exhaust cars and motorcycles. I never was interested in booze, girls (or boys), parties, frat life, etc. I didn't indulge in questionable activities. Never smoked, doped, or drank.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have a daughter almost 20.

she is more mature and even-tempered than a lot of 40 year-olds

i suppose she is an outlier

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I guess I was screwed up, at nineteen I figured out that the world did not owe me a living, I had better get my s*** together and have a job by the time I got out of high school (my second Senior year, don't ask) and I had probably better start to grow up.

While not perfect and will admit to some missteps (a personal relationship, jobs I turned down, couple dumb financial decsions) over the ensuing years by 26 I was in a lower level of management in my vocation. By the time I was 30 I was on my second management job, married with a kid and had completed a Firefighter II and EMT Basic certification in my city.

Some of us just mature earlier I suppose.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I find this theory believable.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pointed this study out to my 18 year daughter today when she brought up the idea of getting a tattoo.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'll go along with that. I was a complete, blithering dumb-ass until about 30 or so, give or take 6 months. Big Grin It wasn't until I was well past 35 that I figured out what I wanted to do for the rest of my working career...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two kids before I was 29. And.....career oriented employment! The horror!

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
In my late 20s I realized 2 things: how much I didn't know and that hangovers weren't worth the pain.

Same here. But, I've worked since high school. After college I was working full time, 12 hour days minimum (out door work) and by 31 I was back in school (law) at night, while working during the day and married.

But, if you reference some of my other posts, I am still a child....

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that my parents were right and I didn't know shit until I was around 25 years of age.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Previously, I had heard 25. I must be an anomaly--I somehow skipped adolescence and went directly to adult. I started my adoloscence around age 40--actually got interested in rumbly exhaust cars and motorcycles. I never was interested in booze, girls (or boys), parties, frat life, etc. I didn't indulge in questionable activities. Never smoked, doped, or drank.

flashguy

There’s still time.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Scientists flip flop on any topic...give 'em a year or so.

You're sure correct about that one - like in the recent thread about eggs being bad for you. Again.

But, at the time of Christ, Jewish society said that adulthood begins at 30. That's why Jesus didn't start his ministry until he turned 30.

Even when I was a prepubescent kid, I could see that real adulthood seemed to befall everyone at around 30. There were exceptions, of course, but overall, I could see even then that 30 seemed to be the age when everyone started thinking and acting like responsible adults. (Well, everyone in my circles)

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Count me among the data points that matches up with the hypothesis. Most of my teens and twenties were spent escaping sobriety as often and thoroughly as possible.

Now I'm wondering what percentage of humans have lived long enough to be grown ups.

As for me, most days I kinda wish that I bought it about ten years ago (around 40). Since then there has been a whole lot of shit and not much sandwich.

Sorry for the drift, kinda felt like I needed to type that.
Carry on.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post