SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer killed Friday in a horrific accident during a traffic stop along
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer killed Friday in a horrific accident during a traffic stop along Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal....airfield-i-80-crash/

There is overhead video of the accident scene and it is horrific.

A California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer and a motorist were killed Friday in a horrific accident during a traffic stop along Interstate 80 in Fairfield, authorities said.

CHP Golden Gate Division Chief Ernie Sanchez told reporters that CHP officer Kirk Griess — a 19-year veteran — and motorist he had pulled over were on the right shoulder of I-80 when another vehicle slammed into them.

“He (officer Griess) was conducting an enforcement stop involving another vehicle, in this case it was a Saturn, (and) for unknown reasons the driver of a three-quarter ton pickup truck left the main portion of the roadway, traveled onto the shoulder and struck officer Griess…as well as the motorist who was still in the Saturn,” Sanchez said.

Both of the injured were transported to a local hospital in Fairfield “where unfortunately, both passed away.”

The driver of the truck was also injured. Sanchez said he was being interviewed at the hospital and cooperating with investigators.

“It’s a tough day for the California Highway Patrol,” he said. “It’s a tough day for the state of California.”

The 46-year-old Griess, who’s a military veteran, is survived by his wife, Keri; adult daughters, Kadi and Kaci; and son, Kole, 14.

The driver of the SUV who was killed was identified as 49-year-old Jaime Bueza Manuel of Vallejo.

Prayers Sent

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I live in the area and this happened just as I was leaving for work.
RIP Officer Griess.
Prayers and thoughts to his family.
I heard one of his daughters works for the Fairfield PD as a CSO

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Very sad. This reminded me of my friend officer Brent Clearman, also a Marine who was killed by a drunk driver in August 2006.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Very sad news.....RIP Brother.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Officer Geri’s, EOW.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
For people who think Highway Patrol Officers only chase tail lights. This occurred in AZ recently. I don't think anyone mentioned it previously...

https://www.azcentral.com/stor...ruggle-10/840035002/

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
So saddening

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
The man who caused the accident was just arrested. Apparently he was on his cell phone and also speeding when he veered across a couple lanes of freeway and slammed into Officer Griess and Jaime Bueza Manuel.

https://www.kcra.com/article/c...ther-driver/22740958

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post