SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Phone battery replacement experience
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Phone battery replacement experience Login/Join 
posted
Wife needs to replace. Has anyone done through Best Buy or similar.
Looking for ease of experience and quality vs pure price.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I took my 6s plus in to the Apple Store be replaced about a year ago. They told me they could not get the battery out and that Apple used 3 different types of glue to hold the battery in and mine had the strongest of the 3 types. They gave me a brand new 6s plus and swapped my SIM card and data while I was there.

Personally, I wouldn’t take one anywhere but an Apple Store or mail it to Apple for battery replacement.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
As PowerSurge said, have it done by Apple. They are more likely to do it correctly than other vendors. If Apple messes it up, they will take care of you.

As a friend of mine used to say, "It only costs a nickel more to go first class."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
+1

We are a long way from an apple store, so I sent mine (a 6+) in to apple. Easy process, painless and surprisingly quick turnaround. I think it was $60.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
We had 2 done by SimplyMac, pretty easy. Just back it up before you take it somewhere.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Personally, I wouldn’t take one anywhere but an Apple Store or mail it to Apple for battery replacement.

This ^^^^^

Considering the cost of a replacement phone and the life of a replacement battery, vs. the $60 Apple charges (I believe it is), it doesn't make sense to me to bargain shop for this kind of thing.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
It depends on the model. Up to and including the 5, I’d do them myself. These days with the glue and having to heat them to get them apart....nope.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appointment has been made with Apple store.
Thanks for the information.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I took my 6s plus in to the Apple Store be replaced about a year ago. They told me they could not get the battery out and that Apple used 3 different types of glue to hold the battery in and mine had the strongest of the 3 types. They gave me a brand new 6s plus and swapped my SIM card and data while I was there.

Same thing with my 6S last year. Took it in when they were replacing failing batteries at a steep discount and they said it wouldn’t turn on with the new battery and gave me a new 6Sa for the price of a battery.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Earlier this month my iPad Pro died. I tried the DIY stuff but nothing. I took it to the Apple store. After running diagnostics they said the battery was dead. They could fix it for $99. OK fine. That’s when they brought out a brand new IPad and started setting it up.
Apple takes care of you.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Few years ago I took my 5s to some random non authorized phone repair joint for a new battery. It was way cheaper than an authorized place. The battery was substandard and about as bad as the battery I was replacing. Got a refund after three days. Went to an authorized shop and spent the money on a new battery. Much better experience. You can use Apple or one of their authorized providers. Going unauthorized voids any warranty. I learned the hard way. Pay the extra for peace of mind.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Few years ago I took my 5s to some random non authorized phone repair joint for a new battery. It was way cheaper than an authorized place. The battery was substandard and about as bad as the battery I was replacing. Got a refund after three days. Went to an authorized shop and spent the money on a new battery. Much better experience. You can use Apple or one of their authorized providers. Going unauthorized voids any warranty. I learned the hard way. Pay the extra for peace of mind.

THIS. I used to have a Casio G shock phone about 6 years ago with a removable battery. I bought a new one as labeled OEM and the label looked OEM on the internet. The new battery within 2 weeks was twice as bad at holding a charge as the 2.5 year old battery I took out.

Apple stands behind their work and products and the charge isn't too incredibly high for their repair services. I'd schedule an appointment at an Apple store and have them change it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post