SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Tesla Motors a current-day Enron?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Tesla Motors a current-day Enron? Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Current Tesla FACTS from today's WSJ:

= shares down 10% this week

= Volvo announces it will make ALL cars hybrid or electric by 2019

= Tesla has produced more vehicles than it has sold for last 6 QTRs

= in 2016 Tesla promised 100K Models 3s in 2017; they will miss that promise by far making only 100 in AUG and 1,500 in SEP.

= predicted to earn profit by 2020

= stock is still up this year, trading at 28x 2020 earnings forecast Eek

----------------------------------------------

^^^I saw that and I'm not particularly impressed with the company's prospects. SolarCity is a good example of what overoptimism and a reliance on subsides can do.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Electrics won't be practical for me until they get to the 250-300 mile range.

The current Tesla Model S gets 270 miles per charge.

I own both an ICE and electric vehicles. Since I live in a suburban area, and my commute to work is only about six miles, the EV makes a lot of sense. I have a charging station at home, so I don't need to hit the gas station for a fill-up.

For those who make the claim that oil is cheap and plentiful, I daresay that could change overnight. I lived through the gas crisis of the 1970s, the gas lines, odd-even days, and so on. All it takes is some bonehead decision, or a war, to catapult oil prices through the roof.

If your need is for long commutes, I agree that EV technology is just now beginning to make the grade. But for around town errands, an EV makes a lot of sense: There's far less maintenance, far less wear-and-tear, and for me, the convenience factor can't be denied.

An added bonus to me is that my ICE (internal combustion engine) car gets much better mileage now that I take it out for mainly longer trips.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I think JALLEN's post is a good cautionary tale about owning Tesla stock.

PE Ratio (TTM) -66.43
EPS (TTM) -4.77

What could possibly go wrong?

I remember being told repeatedly that a low price to earnings ratio was a good thing. Somehow, I believe that -66.43 may not have been what they had in mind... Cool

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
So any of you talking about how over valued Tesla's stock have you taken a short position on the stock yet Big Grin

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
So any of you talking about how over valued Tesla's stock have you taken a short position on the stock yet Big Grin

The potential for unlimited losses kind of makes taking a short position from an investment to a gamble.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:

The potential for unlimited losses kind of makes taking a short position from an investment to a gamble.

As JALLEN noted - any position on Tesla is NOT an investment, it's strictly a riverboat gamble. Sure, you may hit the lottery jackpot, but the odds are not in your favor - it's a faith based position.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:

There is nothing here that justifies the use of the term "investment."

The potential for unlimited losses makes taking a short position from a foolish gamble to an insane one.

It's one thing to lose 100% of the money in one stock. I have, more than once. Somewhat more often, I have gained 8, 10 or more times the investment, which takes some of the sting out of those losses.

It's quite another to risk losing multiples of all your money when the potential maximum gain is only 100%.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Point being that while all the metrics point to a stock that should be worth $30 a share, or less, considering the losses, the price of fuel, reduction in government subsidies, over stocked inventory, lagging delivery of new products, etc etc, it's not wise to bet against Tesla (I say bet as it's not an investment its a gamble, no different than the overvalued stocks of the heady days of the internet stocks, same thing, values out the roof in stock, on paper, worthless or worth less)...

How much sillycone money is tied up in Tesla, how many Norcal millionaires and billionaires have bought up the stock pushing it higher and higher, and have the money to snap up more stock quashing any shorts....

It has all the trappings of Ponzi scheme...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:.....How much sillycone money is tied up in Tesla, how many Norcal millionaires and billionaires have bought up the stock pushing it higher and higher, and have the money to snap up more stock quashing any shorts....

It has all the trappings of Ponzi scheme...

Everyone wins in a Ponzi scheme, until the end. . . . Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think Tesla is overvalued by investors, but I don't think it is run by Lay/Fastow types.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The trick of value investing is finding stocks that can be bought for less than they are worth.

What is it worth?

In the case of Tesla, we can start with book value, the assets per share net of debt. Tesla's book value is $30.38 based on the financial statements of the most recent quarter.

What is it's earning power? Well, so far, Tesla has none. It loses money, and has from the start. Eventually it will lose all of its capital, that book value discussed above, unless it earns a profit. In Tesla's case, there is $9.6 billion in debt which will eventually be paid from the assets remaining, unless Tesla can earn a profit. So they are running ahead of that debt, which is a risk, rather substantial.

There is no history of earnings.

In my way of thinking, there really is no value in a business operation which cannot demonstrate an ability to earn a profit.

It has potential. Nothing more.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The potential for unlimited losses makes taking a short position from a foolish gamble to an insane one.

It's all about the timing...
I was right about Peabody (BTU). They eventually declared bankruptcy.... but I lost the money I paid for put options because I was too early. At least with a put option you only lose the option price.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

It's all about the timing...
I was right about Peabody (BTU). They eventually declared bankruptcy.... but I lost the money I paid for put options because I was too early. At least with a put option you only lose the option price.

It's all about the price... what you get for what you pay.

Of course, to some, an investment is a speculation that worked out well, while a speculation is an investment that did not.

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The current Tesla Model S gets 270 miles per charge.

With the optional 10k battery, it MAY get that mileage. The standard model is rated at 208 miles by the EPA. In cold weather, owners report a range loss of up to 50 percent. Add hills and it drops further.

They are great if you don't drive very far daily. Meanwhile, even if you get where you're going at the end of the range capability, you have to hopefully find a charging station and wait a few hours. What does a lot full of those cars do? Line up and wait?

Meanwhile, the taxpayer is picking up a nice chunk of change for buyers to get into one. What happens when that drops off next year?

Then there is the production of the cars.

Tesla’s Electric Cars Aren’t as Green as You Might Think

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/...ght-not-green-think/

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the embodiment of the San Sebastián Mines.

Hopefully, it will come to pass that it is so, and the NorCal and Democrat investors reap the same rewards.

... Shrug.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story...not-tesla/103455702/

Tesla costs an arm and a leg yet they can't make it into the top safety ratings?

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:....
Tesla’s Electric Cars Aren’t as Green as You Might Think

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/...ght-not-green-think/

Thanks for the link. It does seem that when the total environmental impact of electric cars is summed, from mining the rare earths to manufacture to recycle, electric cars are not any more friendly to the environment than internal combustion engines.

And I am not convinced emissions of CO2 will destroy planet earth. I remember the ozone tantrum of some years ago. Both are indicators of too much liberal kool-aid in the water.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Trouble for Tesla? Hong Kong sales hit zero after tax break gets cut

http://www.foxbusiness.com/mar...-break-gets-cut.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hong Kong price on a Tesla went from $75K to $130k when tax break done away with!

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post