SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need gas grill recommendations for my son in Madison
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need gas grill recommendations for my son in Madison Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
My son closed on his first house this week. We are so proud of him.

As a housewarming gift we'd like to buy him a nice propane grill.

I want to buy him a good one, one I'd buy for myself and that will last a long time. He isn't handy so I will most likely contact a store near him, buy it via phone and have them assemble and deliver it with a propane tank and cover.

My budget is around $800.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Edited to add, my first choice would be a BGE, I love mine, but he doesn't have the time and would get more use out of a gas grill.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
While it isn't fancy, I'd look at the Weber Spirit. Mine is 10 years old now, and I've only replaced the "flavorizer bars" or whatever they're called. I think there are a few models, but around $4-500.

I'll look for a new grill when this thing dies, we'll see when that is.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Weber does make a quality product. I like my Genesis but if he doesn't need a big grill, the Spirit is still a solid grill.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weber all the way. Also look at adding a set of the grates from Grillgrate.com - those things are awesome and an outstanding addition to a Weber.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-4...S-310+45000001+grill

Great minds...I was considering this one. I've had my Genesis for more than 10 years. Other than replacing the flavorizer bars once it's been perfect.

posted Hide Post
Weber

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weber.

I recently replaced a 20 year old Weber with another Weber.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-4...S-310+45000001+grill

Great minds...I was considering this one. I've had my Genesis for more than 10 years. Other than replacing the flavorizer bars once it's been perfect.

Well then get him a darn Genesis then if you already know how good they are.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
^^^^ My experience with Weber is more than 10 years old. I was just checking to see if there were better alternatives... :+)

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
You're safe. I like Cookster bought a newer one about five years ago to replace a twenty year old one (still working fine, just wanted something shiny). They've changed design in last three years or so. May want to ask people with latest generation. I do not like the look of the latest generation, it's missing the compartment under the grill. I store a couple of things in mine in addition to the aesthetics. Don't think that would stop me from buying one though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Mine was the last year they made here. It's all China now.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Weber is the only way to go.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weber Genesis S-330 is in your price range, can buy them assembled from his local Lowe's and I think even be free delivery. Excellent grill, I've had mine for 4 years now, use it 3+ nights a week, all year long, and it's still in very good condition.

Spirit is made in China and the Genesis is made in the US. Spirit still seems to have good quality components. Although they just completely changed the look of the Genesis, so it might be made in China also now.

I just looked and Weber did totally change their complete grill line, from what it looked like for decades. Lowe's has a nice S-310 Genesis (Genesis has Stainless Steel cooking grate, burners etc) and stainless body, that has a 10 year warranty on everything for $799.

LX series Genesis still has the bottom of the grill closed in with doors in the front, but it's even more money than the Genesis.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have a 10 year old Weber Spirit. With parts available cheap, I will likely have this at least another 10. I just replaced the flavor bars and the burners and it is like brand new.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll deviate from the crowd and recommend Broil King. Mine has been going strong for more than 20 years, sitting outside with almost zero maintenance over that time. FWIW, they are still made in the USA and Canada.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigwagon,

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn’t believe it about the Genesis, but yep, for two years now it’s been made out of the finest Chinesium. And after reading about what else happened it is understandable: the family sold the company. So shit from China, and forget about jobs for Americans.

Should be lots of sales now; I know I’ve seen sales at True Value, Lowe’s, Ace. If they have any left.

Or shop the same sales and buy sub $200 and replace it in 5 years.

Sorry, did my disappointment with Weber show?

Posts: 516 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been shopping myself and have become interested in Napoleon grills

https://www.napoleongrills.com/

Haven't made a decision yet, but I'm impressed with their build quality.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
I have a Weber thats about 20 years old and it still works and the cover looks almost new, just a few cracks.
The grill has had the igniter replaces and one of the control valves was starting to stick, the reason for getting a new Weber about 5years ago now.
The new Weber flares up way more than the other one ever did and the cover was crap after about 1 year so my impression of Weber has dropped some.
At the same time I purchased the new one my brother picked up a Napoleon and I would probably take that route if I replace the Weber.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Weber fan. I had a warranty issue with a stainless grill grate years ago and it was resolved without any stress. My Gen Silver B is closing in on 20 years old and works great still. The flavorizer bars wear out but you can get aftermarket ones on Amazon that are much thicker metal and will last forever basically. I also have replaced a regulator for maybe $25 or so many years back. One broken gas knob (my fault) and a missing wheel when we moved it. All easily fixed for a few bucks.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
I SINCERELY doubt you mean Madison, FL but if you do there is an ACE here that sells BGE, weber and others and a Studstill's "Do it Best" that sells some pellet grills.

ACE can get you anything you want from their website and ship free to the store. The other place I use too because guns. Smile

Other than that, I agree with USA Weber quality if you can find one. Otherwise, I just can't do it.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post