SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Internet connection issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internet connection issues Login/Join 
Picture of Deplorable_Dixie
posted
I have a Sony vaio that I updated with Win 10 last year. It's about 5 years old now. I recently booted it up and have been unable to connect/stay connected to the internet. The last thing I did prior to these connection issues was back up my drives onto an external harddrive. I'm not sure what the issue is because I have my phone and tablet connected to the Internet and there are no issues there. I have rebooted the Internet and the comouter several times and the problem still persists. I can check my email and go to youtube, but that is about it. I cannot view any other websites or use Google search. My patience with this laptop is so limited right now. Any advice? Thanks!

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any advice?

Assuming your issue is wifi ~ plug an Ethernet cable in to it (and your router) and see how it performs.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

If the above works.

Delete the wifi profile and then reconnect.

I have seen this happen when the encrytion key is corrupted.

It only takes a few minutes and eliminates that variable.

Click the Network icon on the lower right corner of your screen.

Click Network settings.

Click Manage Wi-Fi settings.

Under Manage known networks, click the connection you want to delete.

Click Forget.

Then click on the WiFi networks icon and find your network WiFi SSID and reconnect.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried both suggestions and they did not work. Do you think it's a browser issue?

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay I don't think it's a browser issue either. Tried connecting with Chrome, stupid Micto soft edge, and Mozilla.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Try these
Updated wifi drivers
Fixed ip
Adware cleaner and superantispyware
Ccleaner

Figure out if its hardware or software related issue. My SOP is to give the computer a throrough cleanup first and then see if the problem persists

0-0

PS google winsock reset windows 10.
I'm on my phone and can barely see what I type

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
You can get to email? You get to YouTube (with browser or app?). That doesn't sound like a physical network card, but some sort of routing or firewall issue. Just to test, temporarily turn off your firewall. What are you using for firewall built in Windoze or something built into an antivirus program?

If it's the firewall, then to have some configuration to do. It could be the antivirus software which again means configuration is in order.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delayed response..been super busy. So I tried turning the firewall off and that did not work. I'm going to delete the virus protector I have and then maybe try restoring to a time before the issue. This may be my last straw with Windows.....