SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump Wants to Replace Food Stamps for Impoverished Americans With Food Boxes to Save Money
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump Wants to Replace Food Stamps for Impoverished Americans With Food Boxes to Save Money Login/Join 
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Yes needed change. I remember an interview of a beach dweller in California he was shopping for lobster on camera and paid for it with his snap card.
Give out the brown wrapped cheese brick, powdered milk and peanut butter.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
....then, quit putting corn in my gas tank and put it in food boxes. Two problems solved.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
My church is a smaller church in an older part of town and the name is Charity. When the church first organized many years ago we began having a different person show up every other week asking for money for food or for gas to deal with a family emergency. Initially we offered to take them to the grocery store and buy them groceries or to the gas station and put some fuel in their cars. 98% of the time the reply was nevermind. We then started keeping a box of groceries on hand with nonperishable items. We offered the box to multiple individuals who needed money for food for their families and they declined it. One lady eventually accepted the box and subsequently walked a block down the street and threw it off a bridge. This mindset represents a large portion of the SNAP program. I'm not certain that the food will be utilized to the fullest intent but it certainly covers the excuse that someone needs food to survive.
This would also be a way to help reduce the epidemic of obesity our country faces and would theoretically reduce healthcare costs as one of the most costly portions of the population would suddenly find itself on a healthier diet which would reduce some of the associated comorbidities they encounter and must have treated. Two for one benefit in my eyes. Also seems like this program could be something the US Postal Service could help coordinate the delivery logistics since they rely upon government assistance to stay solvent. Three for one benefit! Lets do it!

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Armedmd:

I like the way you think.

And a sidenote. In times past I have been asked to volunteer my time to a non profit, to counsel people on habitual welfare. Overall my experience is that they aren't interested in becoming self reliant, rather they want to find more ways live from other people's money.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Armedmd:

And a sidenote. In times past I have been asked to volunteer my time to a non profit, to counsel people on habitual welfare. Overall my experience is that they aren't interested in becoming self reliant, rather they want to find more ways live from other people's money.

I used to volunteer helping welfare people - my experience was the same - there is zero interest to change, motivated by what I deciphered to be plain old lazy. So I don't feel for "hungry" people who live on the Govt tit, because those people aren't actually hungry, they're just lazy, esp. the young men, they were the worst in that way. As far as I can tell, there is no way to "convince" people like that to change, you can only force them to adapt by coddling them less.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8655 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Anyone complaining about getting food instead of money isn't planning on using the money for food.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are many others in this forum that would agree with my brother's sentiment.....you get [full coverage] food stamps or government assistance without any contribution to society in the form of working/laboring, then you don't get to vote in any election...local or national.

Plain and simple.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I LIKE IT!!!!!

As many sorta know, EBT (or the widespread misuse there of) is really one thing that sets me off. Everyone probably knows because each time there is a thread, I post the same thing. It's pretty simple, really.

Want sweets and junk food? Get a fucking job.
Want meat other than lean meats? Get a fucking job.
Want cereal other than King Vitamin? Get a fucking job.
Want fountain soda at a convenience store? Get a fucking job.

We have the fattest poor population on the face of the planet. And EBT is a source of free junk food, frozen pizza, and chips. And it's not like (at least around here) they really care about being covert about the scam they are currently running. They don't care. If you ask them, it is THEIR MONEY and they can spend it however they want. When I was in patrol, it wasn't uncommon to stop cars and the occupants try to give you EBT cards as a form of ID. It is a badge of honor to them. I can't go into a convenience store these days without at least one person in line ahead of me paying for their junk food with an EBT card.

A month ago, there were three of the trailer parks finest in line ahead of me with about $20 worth of junk food. One of the queens said "Girl I got this" and swiped her EBT card to pay for it. Then in true fashion, they bought lottery tickets and Pall Malls with cash.

In many places around the first of the month, you'll see them with cart loads of junk. Frozen pizza, chips, 2 liters, Little Debbie, etc. And they'll swipe the EBT card, and take the bags out to either a late model SUV, or a $500 Crown Vic with $7500 worth of wheels and tires. They almost always have a nicer phone than I do as well.

I don't give this much chance of passing from the lobbying stand point alone. Soda manufacturers alone will lose millions if this were to pass. And you'll always have someone to wheel out little Timmy the blind kid in his wheel chair petting a parakeet with the head taped on as the example of why EBT can't be tampered with. And we know better than to fall for it, but the same "millions will die" will be passed around by the left and their apologists. People want to protect their gravy train by any means possible.

I like Trump's idea, but I think it is a logistical nightmare. I would settle for revamping the program to mirror the WIC program.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Armedmd:

And a sidenote. In times past I have been asked to volunteer my time to a non profit, to counsel people on habitual welfare. Overall my experience is that they aren't interested in becoming self reliant, rather they want to find more ways live from other people's money .

Years ago Mrs DF and I fell on hard times. Our difficulty would not be short lived. It would be years before we could recover. At our lowest we qualified for welfare from both church and gov't. We chose instead to work through it without the assistance. Call it instinct or pride. We suffered terribly and sometimes went to bed hungry so our kids could sleep with full bellies. Usually I am shy about the details but it is important to illustrate the value of pressing against resistance even when it hurts. What that did for us was to light the fire of desperation and sheer will and tenacity. We became super disciplined financially and eventually in most every other aspect of our lives. Through that discipline and desperation we recovered in half the time that statistically it takes others. Typically the turn around is 10 years. We were back in a house with a mortgage in 5. But then from what we learned and became Mrs DF paid this house off in 6.5 years. There are other financial moves we've made along the way that look to put us far and away better off than our original trajectory. All of this because we did not use assistance. We toughed it out because we were young and able bodied.

I believe welfare as the gov't does it is destructive to all but gov't.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
or a $500 Crown Vic with $7500 worth of wheels and tires

I'm pretty sure that must be the official transportation of ghetto scrotebags, nationwide. Big Grin

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Anyone complaining about getting food instead of money isn't planning on using the money for food.

Perfect

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
NSFW
I always liked this video about food stamps that I would troll post to the local news web forums whenever the topic of liberals, Gov. and waste came up. Because it's not NSFW, it would get taken down fast sometimes but sometimes it stayed up and got the message across.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:....I believe welfare as the gov't does it is destructive to all but gov't.

And that's the goal, under the guise of helping you the gov't will own you.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the safety net funded by voluntary contributions. All of the rich liberal entertainers, CEOs, politicians and busy body do gooders can put their money where their heart is and fully fund every welfare program. The evil heartless conservatives can then be shamed for not caring enough to give.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3522 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Thank Kennedy and southern WV democrats for the current system, after they bought the election down there one of the party bosses went to DC with an idea to give scrip/stamps that could be used at a grocery store.
The reasoning was that the coal miners were too proud to stand in line in public, and children would go hungry, but the new program would remove that stigma.

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Go...achian/dp/0822955776
Cathead Chafin was the guy,wrote a book about the whole affair with the Kennedys

I'm not 50 yet, but remember my grandparents getting commodity butter, cheese etc.
I think if you were old enough income didn't matter.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Several years ago I was in Wally World at the grocery store area. I seldom shop at WW as I go to the nearby AFB and shop the Commissary. But I forgot something so stopped there to pick it up.

I get in line and a guy ahead of me has a small cart, brimming with various fresh steaks. I didn't see the total but did see him use a snaps/ebt card to pay.

I pay and I am 25 secs behind him. He goes out the door, meets a guy who gives him a fifty dollar bill and takes the cart! I WITNESSED the $50 and the transfer.

Then followed the original guy to his car...along the way he throws away the receipt. It was for over $100. wish I would have kept it.

I walked to my car, then easily followed the guy a few blocks out the parking lot to the Convenience store. I parked in front and guess what he comes out with? Four 24 packs of beer and a bag with who knows what in it.

Agreed! Time for a change!

Any of us who worked the cop job can tell stories of generation after generation of folks, we see them throughout our careers...Always on some Program. Never working. Always a drain on the system.

I've seen this here too. It does explain why they are on food stamps. Make sure they only get food and many will probably go get jobs. The rest will bitch up a storm and sell the food boxes for whatever they can get for them.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this idea. Ebt is garbage, your kids can't starve while you buy booze and cigarettes if all you get is food. Bravo!!!!

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a common sense solution to a major problem.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Ya know, we're a mean bunch of pricks. The underlying theme is to punish the vast majority of loafers we imagine we see. Go back and read the posts. Sure, everyone has seen what we think are abuses. Who knows if those are real or one every 10 years. Even I know they're real because a while back I had a girl in front of me at the local convenience store. Well, its been a while because they pulled out the fuel pumps at least 10 years ago. I've even seen someone buying food with an EBT card at wallyworld. I didn't pay much attention to what they were getting.

Para's going to hate me because I do tend to look at what the extremely obese load their carts up with. And those using the motorized carts can pretty much be assumed as to why they're using the handicapped cart. Its not required, so Wallyworld feels its an advantage for them to be provided. Frown

There are a lot of people who are lazy. I'm one of them these days. The only kind of welfare I'm on is SS, and there are even those who feel its undeserved. I even complained about the tiny increase (inflation) except my personal inflation was a lot bigger. If this shit keeps up I'm going to have to start dipping into my savings. Well, that or eating out at lower price joints.

Trump is a negotiator. He used this as his opening volley. He'll settle for any thing the liberals will give him. Maybe his target is to just prohibit welfare or Federal Welfare for all those here illegally. I'd settle for that.

Lets see where this is going before we get our bowels in an uproar. Plus, times have changed. The breakfast of champions used to be Mountain Dew and Twinkies. I haven't seen Twinkies in a long time.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I'd like to see the safety net funded by voluntary contributions. All of the rich liberal entertainers, CEOs, politicians and busy body do gooders can put their money where their heart is and fully fund every welfare program. The evil heartless conservatives can then be shamed for not caring enough to give.

But most of the compassionate "elitists" I know want to be charitable with other people's money more than with their own money. Smile