SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump Wants to Replace Food Stamps for Impoverished Americans With Food Boxes to Save Money
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump Wants to Replace Food Stamps for Impoverished Americans With Food Boxes to Save Money Login/Join 
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
This is an amazing idea. I love it.

It’s the same mentality as not giving homeless people/beggars/bums money because they may use it to buy booze and/or drugs. If you want to help them, bring them a cheeseburger from McDonald’s.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
"You wanna feed the underprivileged or be poverty pimps buying votes?" kinda thing.

Makes it tougher for the left to play Santa Claus. I love it!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
This is an amazing idea. I love it.

It’s the same mentality as not giving homeless people/beggars/bums money because they may use it to buy booze and/or drugs. If you want to help them, bring them a cheeseburger from McDonald’s.

Or maybe even something with nutritional value. Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
If it means food is going directly to kids and not being traded for cigarettes and alcohol at some crap hole corner store, I'm all for it.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Years ago I worked part time at a major grocery chain while going to college. I noticed a couple of common patterns re those with food stamps. First, most often they bought alcohol/tobacco, etc with cash after the food stamp purchase. Second, most often I took the groceries out to their car, which was a more expensive car than we ever had growing up.

I like Trumps idea, cut down on significant fraud. I have done volunteer work at a "freebie" grocery store, when stocking cans of infant formula, we have to use a magic marker to black out the bar code, as there was a common pattern of people getting the infant formula for free, then taking it to a grocery store for a refund/store credit.

Curious the dems complain about increased bureaucracy (ie, only dems are allowed to build bureaucracy?); curious they compalin this will limit personal choice and responsibility. In reality, the dems are all about gaining their own money and power, Trumps actions are getting in the way.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That's not empowering the downtrodden to feel like they really have an entitlement to "other peoples money".

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Last fall I took a couple vacation days and did some work at our church. While I was there, the flow of people (almost all hispanic) into the church's food pantry was never ending. It was however eye opening to see that most of them were driving newer more expensive cars than my wife and I do, and no one spoke English. No telling how much of that food got traded or sold for other things.

There are an abundance of people gaming the system, so 'anything' we can do to mitigate it, I say, have at it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea. Good healthy food. A hungry person would appreciate this / a welfare mooch won't.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Give the loafers of the Free Shit Army all the rolled oats they can handle. It's cheap in 50lb sacks at the feed store, and Wilford Brimley said oats are good for you. And, after about 3 days of nothing but oatmeal, the loafers will be looking for a job so they can buy food.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
What. No one recalls "donated commodities?"

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Three or four years ago, I saw some posts on another forum from a woman in Logan, UT in her 50's who stated her family was on food stamps. She said she used them to buy seeds and fruit trees. I have no proof, but suspect, garden seeds/fruit trees are an underused part of the program. I'd be interested to read how much of the overall cost of the program is spent on those things each year.

I support helping those who are hungry and are willing to go to the effort to grow some of their own food. This, to me, is a much better use of tax dollars than spending money on candy bars and soda.

Unfortunately, there is probably no one to lobby for gardening as compared with the lobbying done for snacks and soda to be kept on the list.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I hate getting behind someone at the grocery store who is on government assistance. Their cart looks better than mine, and the stuff that is excluded (e.g. dog food) they put off the the side and pull out a wad of cash and buy themselves EVERY time.

Also, many convenience stores accept their EBTs so they can go buy overpriced processed sugar.

This is a much needed reform. Give them big ole sacks of rice, beans, flour, oats, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
It's not new, but it is due. We shouldn't be handing the equivalent of cash over to those who abuse it.

I grew up very poor (early sixties) & we got "government surplus" food for assistance. I still remember hauling my wagon down to the armory to stand in line to receive canned meats, powdered milk and eggs, cheese, peanut butter, corn meal & flour, and all sorts of things that kept my sisters & me fed. We were glad to have it even in spite of the stigma I felt. I'm sure it's part of the motivation I had to work myself out of that situation. That program served me well, & to this day I'm thankful for it.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
YES, YES, glorious MOTHERFUCKING YES!!

Send these leeches a box of collard greens, sweet potatoes, a few cans of spam, 2 lbs of rice, and 2 lbs of beans, 5 pounds of peanut butter and a small pictogram cookbook to teach people how to cook it. If your hungry, you have nutritious food that will keep you alive until you get a job. If you are a leech looking for money to trade, fuck off.

Buying soda, snacks, and chips, lobster, and filet (and worse) with gov benefits has to stop.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it about feeding the poor, or transfer of wealth?

he asks rhetorically.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm torn on this. I know people who have received assistance, and none of them is doing the sort of thing one so often associates with this sort of abuse. If anything, I would restrict that things purchased with such assistance be scratch ingredients. When I go into Wawa to grab coffee or something, there are signs on the made-to-order food kiosks that anything heated/toasted or made from a warm ingredient (meatballs, mac and cheese, etc) is not eligible for payment via EBT.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its just Trump being Trump, challenging the status quo of food stamps/snap/ebt because it needs to be revised. We all know this needs to be done. So start a conversation... Good for him, he has no plans to send out boxes of food to people.

as to how it would reduce fraud, for one thing, unscrupulous merchants won't be able to buy EBT/SNAP cards for pennies on the dollar and sell them if it's a box lunch, they can't take it to Wal-Mart and buy supplies for their stores at 50% off. So it would cut down on some fraud from that aspect.

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I was in Wally World at the grocery store area. I seldom shop at WW as I go to the nearby AFB and shop the Commissary. But I forgot something so stopped there to pick it up.

I get in line and a guy ahead of me has a small cart, brimming with various fresh steaks. I didn't see the total but did see him use a snaps/ebt card to pay.

I pay and I am 25 secs behind him. He goes out the door, meets a guy who gives him a fifty dollar bill and takes the cart! I WITNESSED the $50 and the transfer.

Then followed the original guy to his car...along the way he throws away the receipt. It was for over $100. wish I would have kept it.

I walked to my car, then easily followed the guy a few blocks out the parking lot to the Convenience store. I parked in front and guess what he comes out with? Four 24 packs of beer and a bag with who knows what in it.

Agreed! Time for a change!

Any of us who worked the cop job can tell stories of generation after generation of folks, we see them throughout our careers...Always on some Program. Never working. Always a drain on the system.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:... I get in line and a guy ahead of me has a small cart, brimming with various fresh steaks. I didn't see the total but did see him use a snaps/ebt card to pay....

Minor drift not re food stamps. When I was working at the grocery store the store mgr caught a person stealing a large double bag of the finest cuts of meat. When asked why she said she couldn't afford to feed her family. When asked why T-bone and prime rib her response "if I am going to steal, I might as well steal the best". Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
I'm torn on this. I know people who have received assistance, and none of them is doing the sort of thing one so often associates with this sort of abuse....

It may well be the number of beneficiaries who abuse the system are fewer than those who play fair. Nevertheless, the abuse amounts to $Billions every year. And it seems to me those who play fair are less likely to complain about the proposed changes.

And as has been said, how do you prevent a safety net from becoming a hammock.