SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump Wants to Replace Food Stamps for Impoverished Americans With Food Boxes to Save Money
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump Wants to Replace Food Stamps for Impoverished Americans With Food Boxes to Save Money Login/Join 
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
I'm curious to know how such a program would save taxpayers' money.

It is really, really hard to smoke cheese

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2200 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to see reliable numbers on how many people receive food stamps. Then of that number how many abuse the system -- Ie, they are capable of self support but why work when the money is free. Or they play games with food stamps so they can buy forbidden stuff. Then do the same analysis by dollars, how many $$ are spent for valid use vs how many $$ are spent in abuse.

I think of the old adage, that which we attain too easily we esteem too lightly. The easier we make getting welfare the more abuse we will see. What many receive as compassionate charity one day, they will demand as a "right" the next day.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 28528 | Location: CA | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for the feasibility and logistics of the proposed new food program....

I can order probably any one of 50,000 items from Amazon and have it delivered to my front door the next day. I can get a delivery by Amazon from Whole Foods if I want to in less than two days. Amazon has a daily deal thing where you use a smart phone app to find the nearest location of one of their daily deal trucks and you can drive over to pick up whatever item on sale. I have no doubt the federal gov couldn’t implement the program but bring in private companies to handle the logistics. Let Bezos and Cuban come up with a solution. Cuban thinks he’s so damn smart, well here you go Mark.

Everyday I pull a handful of junk mail out of my mailbox and deposit it directly in my trash can. Hell, let the USPS deliver some food boxes instead of junk mail. Put some of the recipients of the free food program to work helping deliver food to their neighbors. Don’t want to contribute, then don’t eat.

We can shoot satellites out of orbit with a missile. We have a space station orbiting the earth. Don’t tell me we can’t deliver some damn food boxes to people.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Do you think all the food stamp recipients actually need those stamps for food or do you think a percentage of them only get said stamps to use/trade for alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, hookers, etc?

How many recipients do you think will drop out of the program if they received food instead of [fake] money?

A few years back, my MIL had a person offer to pay for her groceries with food stamps. The person wanted cash in exchange for the stamps.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Central Va. | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
quote:
It is really, really hard to smoke cheese

A mind is a terrible thing.

Posts: 16978 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
"C" Rations. Give them cases of "C" Rations. That'll be the incentive to get them back to a meaningful job.

LOL, when I went through basic training in 1980, we ate C rats from VietNam.

Posts: 1745 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
let the PO deliver it in clearly marked GOV FOOD HELP boxes.

I am Groot

Posts: 501 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
It would have to be pickup. Imagine the amount of theft of boxes left at the front door on delivery day, not to mention damage to stuff left out in sub-freezing or 100+ degree temperatures.

Posts: 9692 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:...
I think of the old adage, that which we attain too easily we esteem too lightly. The easier we make getting welfare the more abuse we will see. What many receive as compassionate charity one day, they will demand as a "right" the next day.

There is a related adage, poor folk have poor ways. Socitey often provides very decent low income housing to those in need, and the needy trash it. It's not that they are malicious, rather, many do not have productive, wholesome habits. But in the name of social justice and equality, they demand their right to live from other people's money.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 28528 | Location: CA | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
Picture of rscalzo
posted Hide Post
Once again..Chicago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20160819-story.html

The fraud is possible because the stores are in on the game.

http://www.miamiherald.com/new...article77078947.html

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 4685 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
So after a full week of working at a new convenience store, I have another sample set of EBT purchases to draw my conclusions from. Just last night, I did eight EBT purchases, and four of those were candy and cookies purchased along with sugary alcoholic drinks like Mike's Harder or Steel Reeserve Blueberry, and blunt wraps or Swishers. Two purchases were simply Hostess snacks cake type stuff. One young lady came back twice to get more cookies and some flavored blunt wraps. One fellow has been buying all his meals every day with a Colorado EBT card, he gets cold burritos and chicken sandwiches, no alcohol or tobacco, but also plenty of sweets. He's the first customer I've dealt with who is even in the ballpark of using the service the way it should be, and I think that's because he's homeless and these other people aren't. I stand by my prior assertion that these people shouldn't have the choice to spend taxpayer dollars this way.

Also, Rogue, I saw your prior post and yes, you're technically correct. But I'm not going to quibble SNAP vs. EBT. The terminal the purchases get rung up through say EBT in a zillion places, the card says EBT, the paperwork says EBT, the customers call it EBT, the only person in my whole experience with the thing that wants to insist on calling it SNAP is you. Razz

Posts: 8567 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post