SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    E-Tool, whose do you like and why?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E-Tool, whose do you like and why? Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted
I need an e-tool. I want to know what's good & bad about them. I have a crappy old one that ain't cutting it. Lightweight, folding, & solid are the main considerations. Gerber? Glock? Others?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Glock

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post

Never tried one, but Chinese propaganda video sure makes it look cool! Smile

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Does it have to fold? I've never had much luck with folding etools. Etools with fixed wooden handles are much easier to use, and are still relatively compact compared to a real shovel.

I wouldn't want to take a fixed handle etool backpacking, but if it's just going to ride around in the trunk of your car, or get stashed in a closet at your hunting cabin, then I'd go with a fixed handle.

There are a number of older US and European surplus etools with fixed handles, many of which have a partially folding blade for use as either a pick or shovel. There are also several types of surplus fully fixed etools out there, as well as a new production version from Cold Steel.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sometimes space is limited, consider trunk size, the object you need to bury's size, spare tire, go bag, perhaps some food/water and the ability to take a full size shovel is limited.

You really don't want to go down the road with a buncha shovels sticking out of the trunk lid or windows when you need to take care of a problem...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I use the cold steel version of the chinese army one XerO posted a video on.

I've posted about it here before and I am on my 5th one. Every time one of my uncles or dads uncles come over it goes home with them. They are all off the boat Italians and do a lot of yard work and gardening even though a few of them over over 85.

They always thank me and they love it. They can chop, dig, cut without having to carry around a bunch of tools. Wheel burrow, prunes, chinese shovel and a pocket knife is all they need to do their work.

I love mine as well. I don't do much gardening, but for clearing brush, diging fire pits while camping and whatever I can use it for.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
It's for backpacking. I have a decent fixed-handle in my truck box.

I suppose I like the Glock well enough, but I also like those that have the "y" type handle for two-handed side-by-side grabbage.

One thing is certain, it needs to take a beating to be used in Nevada.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US Government issue to GI's. That is the one I have used and recommend. They can be purchased for very inexpensive prices. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
US Government issue to GI's. That is the one I have used and recommend. They can be purchased for very inexpensive prices. God Bless Smile

I second this. The shovel blade folds 90 degrees and you can use it as a pick/hoe.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post