SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Controversial "Pharma Bro", Martin Shkreli, found guilty on 3 of 8 counts in federal trial
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Controversial "Pharma Bro", Martin Shkreli, found guilty on 3 of 8 counts in federal trial Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
We've had a thread or two about this guy, but nothing lately IIRC.

Now his trial is over, more details at NYT:

quote:
.Martin Shkreli, accused of defrauding his hedge fund investors and a pharmaceutical company, was convicted on three of eight counts on Friday, after a five-week trial in the Federal District Court in Brooklyn.

Mr. Shkreli was convicted of securities fraud in connection with his hedge fund MSMB Capital; of securities fraud in connection with another hedge fund he ran, MSMB Healthcare; and of conspiracy to commit securities fraud, related to a scheme in which he tried to secretly control a huge portion of shares of Retrophin, a drug company he started.

He faces up to 20 years on each of the first two counts, and up to five years on the final count.

The conviction, even as a mixed verdict, was a major defeat for the divisive Mr. Shkreli, who said before the trial that he was “so innocent” that the judge, jury and prosecutors would apologize to him afterward.

Mr. Shkreli, 34, was acquitted of the count that potentially carried the most weight for sentencing: count seven, which charged him with defrauding Retrophin by creating sham consulting agreements and unauthorized settlement agreements. That charge was associated with the biggest financial loss, which judges take into account when deciding on sentences in fraud cases..

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He faces up to 20 years on each of the first two counts, and up to five years on the final count.

"Fresh meat".

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So here's where the "acting like the world's biggest asshole" is going to be a factor- his sentencing. Oh, yes, the judge will be perfectly impartial. Sure, I believe that.

Have fun, Marty.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's one serious case of narcissism and sociopath right there. All he way to the pokey.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This guy will have a tough time in prison. Of course some inmates will gravitate to him because they vicariously enjoy Rich people getting ripped off. They will want to know how as well. The Federal prison system holds some of the smartest criminals in the world.

On the other hand this guy lacks the social skills to get along with people and is very annoying. It will be very unpleasant for him. I would like to see how he figures out how to get into the top bunk without stepping on the bunk below it. I predict he will be in Administrative Segregation for quite a while.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
His smirk is his biggest asset.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think there is nothing sweeter than to see an evil smirk slapped off... Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think that the guy's attitude is such that even if he recognizes that he's in an environment where he's pretty much on his own against violent mean who don't give a damn how much money he has nor how clever he thinks he is, he's still gonna run his suck, or he's gonna smirk at the wrong guy. I get the impression that this guy has been a complete dick all his life and has no idea about some things he's going to encounter in there. He'd better watch it real close, but I hope that he does not.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'm not totally sure...but if he goes to
Big Boy jail...he's pretty much "screwed" (I'm trying to watch my nasty mouth) Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is the part of the thread where someone comes along to tell us how the guy is going to Club Fed and his worst problem will be that his knees look bony in tennis shorts when he's playing tennis with the warden.

posted Hide Post
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/0...i-verdict/index.html

"Barely an hour after the verdict, he was livestreaming on YouTube from his apartment, holding a beer and predicting that the sentence would be "close to nil." He said that if he does go to prison, it will probably be a "Club Fed" where he will "play basketball and tennis and Xbox" for a couple of months."

"My case is a silly witch hunt perpetrated by self-serving prosecutors," he said on Facebook at one point. "Thankfully my amazing attorney sent them back to junior varsity where they belong. Drain the swamp. Drain the sewer that is the DOJ."
-------------
Personally I think Martin is in for a surprise.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's the spirit, Marty. Show all those bitches how it's done. Get right in their face with it.

I do hope the judge sees this. I imagine he'll be informed about it by multiple sources who hate your guts. Smile

posted Hide Post
First consideration in a Presentence Report, acknowledgment of guilt.

Strike one.

He will be given the opportunity to explain about the proven facts of the "witch hunt".

Strike two...

He'll be just fine.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in hearing from Sig Forum members who have worked in the Federal Prison system as to how they think this guy will survive.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
actually, when the cons get done with him, he will HAVE the world's biggest asshole.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/0...i-verdict/index.html

"Barely an hour after the verdict, he was livestreaming on YouTube from his apartment, holding a beer and predicting that the sentence would be "close to nil." He said that if he does go to prison, it will probably be a "Club Fed" where he will "play basketball and tennis and Xbox" for a couple of months."

"My case is a silly witch hunt perpetrated by self-serving prosecutors," he said on Facebook at one point. "Thankfully my amazing attorney sent them back to junior varsity where they belong. Drain the swamp. Drain the sewer that is the DOJ."
-------------
Personally I think Martin is in for a surprise.

This guy has a sort of an Anthony Weiner way of grinding the nerves of the average decent human being.........except without the 12 hour erection.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What sort of prison environment is Madoff in?

How "hard" was Martha Stewart's time?

What about Keating and his time?

Won't this jerk's be similar?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Right on time.

posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm. You called it.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Dunno much about the actual case... but the guy is a douche of the highest order...

Very hard to have much sympathy.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post