Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape May, NJ Login/Join 
posted
Been invited to a USCG boot camp graduation. Recommendations on hotels?

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Cape May is a Jersey Shore town so anything right there will be hard to get and crazy expensive. I would suggest looking for a hotel in Egg Harbor or Vineland and driving to the base, it's not a far drive from either location.

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I'm typing this from my summer house the next island over in Wildwood Crest.

Cape May is pricey, rent something in the Crest, it's only 5 minutes away.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
My family even owns a bed and breakfast in the Crest if you need a place, otherwise, you can't go wrong with many of the large hotels.

Cape May is awesome, visit the SS ATLANTUS sunken ship at Cape May point and the WW2 Fire control towers. They usually have ww2 vets running the tour.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Cape Harbor Motor Inn. 715 Pittsburgh Ave. So close you could walk to USCG. Make sure you hit the famous Lobster House at least once!

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Granted it has been nearly 9 years not but we stayed at the Humphrey Hughes House Bed & Breakfast and we were very pleased with our stay.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was there once, in 2005. Spent the better part if 2 months in Uncle Sams Confused Group school for wayward boys.
We were only allowed to visite the real world once in 8 weeks and other than a WaWa and a steak house i have no remembrance of anything that town has to offer.
Congratulations to the new Costie by the way!

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hit the new Cape May brewery while there....

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
We almost had our wedding at congress hall, very cool hotel, and great pancakes next door. Our house is in margate, but we often drive to cape may for dinner and drinks

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I'm typing this from my summer house the next island over in Wildwood Crest.

Cape May is pricey, rent something in the Crest, it's only 5 minutes away.

I will say, if you decide on wildwood, do some research on the hotel. One summer in high school, we sorted from "low to high" on price, and wound up in a hotel next to a housing project. Interesting night for a few preppy white boys with their blonde girlfriends haha

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
When is graduation? Middle of November- stay everywhere cheap. A weekend thru mid-September - you're out of luck to even find a place.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wildwood Crest has beautiful beaches! The surf is excellent, water clarity is usually very nice, very little seaweed and luckily, mostly no jelly fish in the water!!

We just returned yesterday from spending a week down there.

I have been taking my family down there for the past 11 years or so, and we stay at a 'old school' style hotel (with all of the rooms now owned privately as 'condos') on E. Monterey Ave, at the very end of the street, beach front. So nice to be able to walk out of your room and be right on the beach!

Ramius - Which B&B does your family own?

Posts: 3474 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
When is graduation? Middle of November- stay everywhere cheap. A weekend thru mid-September - you're out of luck to even find a place.

Unsure, they aren't even there yet. I got a call last night saying they were going to MEPS sometime soon for their physical.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was there for several weeks in 1988....

I was allowed to visit town for a few hours overnight...a couple of us recruits rented a room form a local and went to a sock-hop....met some girls and had a generally good time....

returning to the base was less than fun...hahaha those Company Commanders beat the alcohol and nicotine out of everyone....

Congrats to the new Coastie, and tell him he has learned ONE thing in bootcamp...shut up and pay attention to the other guys. This bit of advise will serve him well in his new endeavor

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the handgun of the USCG? It appears to be a Sig 229 DAK.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

That is correct. In 40.
Special agents carry several different guns.
And the M9 Beretta is still in the inventory for deployment to overseas.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the New Coastie. Me Grad Hooigan Schoolof exceLLenCe E-106 1979. VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

That is correct. In 40.
Special agents carry several different guns.
And the M9 Beretta is still in the inventory for deployment to overseas.

Thanks.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Go to "410 Bank Street." And have the "Crawfish Bisque." It is truly one of the most incredible dishes I have ever had, anywhere in the world (and I've been around). I have brought friends there and not told them about the bisque, just suggested casually that they try it. It stops them in their tracks. Conversation comes to an abrupt halt. Big Grin

Check it out: http://www.410bankstreet.com/menu

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I graduated 42 years ago and have no idea where my parents stayed. Big Grin

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post