SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do I need a chimney liner with new Furnace?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need a chimney liner with new Furnace? Login/Join 
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted
Purchased a new Bryant Heating and A/C unit in July the installers were unable to get a Chimney liner down the stack I have at my house. This house was built in 1958 and has never had a liner installed. I’m being told a crew has to install this and it has to be done.

So do I really need this? I guess to install the thing a chimney company has to come out and punch a hole in the brick and clean the chimney out.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you do! The efficiency of a new furnace is such that it never gets the chimney warm enough to get rid of condensate(that is acidic) and will eventually ruin the mortar joints between the flue liners. No flue liners, even worse outcome!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Yup. New furnaces are much more efficient than the old ones. Flue temperatures are lower, allowing for condensation which will damage your old flue tiles. Had it done before.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
As others have said, 'deed you do.

I used a one-piece flexible stainless steel insert (think dryer vent hose on steroids) and dropped it down the chimney myself. Furnace guy terminated it and hooked it to the furnace. I don't recall how much it cost but it was WAY cheaper than the re-line job with the pneumatic forms.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I guess they have to knock some mortar out of my stack.

Will this kind of work damage the chimney? Should I get something I. Writing that any damage they need to fix. Not me?

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
If you haven’t already had the furnace installed which with the blockage they shouldn’t have look at going with a 96% furnace which can be vented thru the wall in pcv

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liner for furnace or an existing orphaned water heater?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
There is tile on the inside of the chimney I guess that’s what’s blocking the liner from being installed.

The liner will support both a hot water tank and the 80% furnace.

posted Hide Post
Since you live in Ohio, why are they installing a 80% furnace?

Is there no way to penetrate the structure to properly vent a high efficient furnace with PVC?
(Which would allow them to install a smaller liner for the water heater)

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm second guessing here but am also wondering about that 80% furnace. Here is why, I'm a chimney sweep who lined chimneys for gas and oil furnaces for years...(been at this for 36) I can't remember the last time I lined a chimney for a gas furnace,... just about all I see now is high efficiency ones power vented out with PVC. One of the issues with lining to what you have is sizing for both the furnace and hot water unit. Liner has to be figured depending on the vertical run and horizontal run and the total BTUs of both units... but it can't be less than the outlet on the larger of the two units.... and usually most liners for gas are a corrugated design which then causes a 20% reduction in flow.... they are probably going to have to remove the clay liners in the chimney... which is not fun.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post