SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    obama is going low profile, but good grief / Update: speech revealed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

obama is going low profile, but good grief / Update: speech revealed Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.bostonglobe.com/me...23egrEo2O/story.html

The first rule of seeing Barack Obama in Boston is don’t talk about seeing Barack Obama in Boston

The former president was scheduled to appear at a sports analytics conference hosted by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Friday. But if you were not an attendee at the event, don’t expect to hear much about what Barack Obama shared.

Officials managing the 12th annual MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center have put strict rules in place that extend beyond barring the media from divulging Obama’s insights.

An e-mail sent to those heading to the venue for the “conversation with Obama” read like a line from the movie “Fight Club”: The first rule of seeing the former commander-in-chief is don’t talk about seeing the former commander-in-chief.

During Obama’s panel, photography; video recording; streaming; and social media posting, including on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and other platforms will not be permitted — “without exception,” the warning spelled out.

The regulations went for after the event, too.

“Following the panel, the sharing or reporting of its contents on public platforms, including social media, will not be permitted,” the notice read. “Those who fail to adhere to this policy will be subject to removal from the conference and denied tickets to future SSAC conferences.”

After the Globe inquired about the rules, a second e-mail said “sharing or reporting of its contents” is strictly forbidden.

“This policy applies to all attendees, credentialed media included,” the second correspondence said.

A conference organizer described the statement as “self-explanatory” when asked by a Globe sports reporter who is attending events at the conference this weekend.

Obama “will discuss his time in office and the next chapter of his life” while here, according to a conference newsletter that came out when the announcement about the former president’s panel was made last month.

This year’s conference has more than 3,500 people from more than 35 countries representing some 600 organizations and 200 universities, conference co-chair Jessica Gelman said Friday during opening remarks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Watch him like a hawk. I don't trust that bastage. What he does in secrecy is bound to be destructive.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29681 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A man who throws a baseball like a girl and there is zero transcript evidence ever took a math class is at a sports analytics conference?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I think I read somewhere that his keynote speech is titled, "How to kneel like a boss...and get away with it".

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If I never hear his name mentioned or see his photo ever again as long as I live, it will be too soon.

I could NOT agree more, sigfreund!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I thought the worry at one time was that he was going to take over the Democrat party and we’d never stop seeing and hearing about him. He can remain as secretive as he wants as far as I’m concerned. If I never hear his name mentioned or see his photo ever again as long as I live, it will be too soon.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
standard Obama BS and lies

https://reason.com/blog/2018/0...ama-mit-sloan-sports

On Friday, former President Barack Obama spoke for an hour to an audience of hundreds of people at a major sports policy conference at MIT, but his remarks were off-the-record and kept completely secret by virtually all attendees

Reason obtained a recording of the speech, however, and the most newsworthy thing about it is the simple fact that the public wasn't supposed to hear it.

Obama described social media platforms as a "hugely powerful potential force for good," but then immediately hedged. "What's also true is that our social media platforms are just a tool," he said. "ISIS can use that tool. Neo-Nazis can use that tool. I do think the large platforms—Google and Facebook being the most obvious, Twitter and others as well, are part of that ecosystem—have to have a conversation about their business model that recognizes they are a public good as well as a commercial enterprise. They're not just an invisible platform, they're shaping our culture in powerful ways."

Much of that shaping is bad, according to Obama. "Essentially we now have entirely different realities that are being created with not just different opinions, but now different facts,"

"And this isn't just by the way Russian inspired bots and fake news. This is Fox News vs. The New York Times editorial page. If you look at these different sources of information, they do not describe the same thing. In some cases, they don't even talk about the same thing. And so it is very difficult to figure out how democracy works over the long term in those circumstances."

It's okay to argue about how we should address climate change. It's not okay to deny the underlying science.

"I'll come back and say, 'well no it just turns out if we just invest in some smart technology and we create a smart regulatory framework that incentivizes investment in clean energy, we can actually solve this problem now, and if we don't it's going to be catastrophic.'"

Diversity isn't about "charity or political correctness, it's just common sense." And it's why his White House was scandal-free , according to the president.

other than corrupting every federal agency

he did stress that it should be a top priority for companies to make women feel safe and respected at work, give them equal pay for equal work, and make an effort to actually listen to what they are saying. If women are afraid to speak up, or are talked over by men, a good boss should call on them and ask their opinions.

"We didn't have a scandal that embarrassed us,"

Susan Rice, Loretta Lynch, Samantha Power

Obama thinks the stereotype about lazy government employees is wrong.

"At least at the top levels of the federal government, people work harder than in the private sector,"

Our folks were putting in 80-hour work weeks and barely getting vacations and under unimaginable pressure."

wasn't he always on vacation and golfing ?

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
There were no scandals because the MSM wouldn't dare report any.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We didn't have a scandal that embarrassed us,"

Because they have no conscience.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
"... social media platforms are just a tool," he said. "ISIS can use that tool. Neo-Nazis can use that tool.

-Sounds exactly like BHO and his Presidency. Should we just call him Media Platform now, or just Tool?

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If not for being "secret" no one would care. I view it as a smug way of recapturing the spotlight without having to have done anything.

The gist at the end is Oh he's still alive and hasn't changed. Now back to obscurity.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
"At least at the top levels of the federal government, people work harder than in the private sector,"

Way to insult the private sector, i.e., most of the rest of us, jerkoff.

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
It would be a DEM problem for Obama to give this speech publicly w a lot of press coverage.

REPs would have a field day w "no scandals" given we have multiple congressional investigations into corruption at the top of the FBI and DoJ.

His climate change words would not be well received in general.

Think how much fun Donald Trump would have in tearing that speech apart.

It is quite significant that a year into the Trump administration, obama has to give his standard pitch in secrecy.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

Is Stampy Feet's mother's name Lorraine by chance?? Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I take away from this is
1. There is a conspiracy being hatched.
2. The suppression of free speech is a tool.
3. Sports convention. Really?

Nuke everyone who attended.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The next time I read about Obummer I hope it is related to Federal crime charges filed against him!!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

He wouldn't have a fucking clue. When has he ever been in the private sector or had a real job?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
O RLY?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

It's not just an insult, in his own words it's
"... we now have entirely different realities that are being created with not just different opinions, but now different facts ..."

Of course, his different facts are the best different facts. Roll Eyes

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2076 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post