SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting A Shot For Lumbar Pain
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting A Shot For Lumbar Pain Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
This is exactly how my test shot went. I didn't get sedated, just a little lidocaine at the site. They gave me 6 test shots, which I think were also lidocaine, and pain got down to around a 3 or so a few hours afterward, but quickly shot back up to around a 6.

The whole procedure took around 20 minutes.

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
What should I expect?

Sedation if you want it. Most folks don't need it. You'll be placed in a prone position and your lower back will be prepped and draped. Unless it's just a very basic injection with nothing fancy, XRay will be used to guide the needle into the correct position. There can be some pain as the needle tip gets close to the injection site (the nerve), but if you do have any, it's not bad...just kind of surprising.

quote:
Will there be instant relief, or will I be out of commission any?

If they add local to the injection (most of us do) you will have relief fairly quickly. However, this relief will go away once the local wears off (up to 18 hours depending on what they use). Your pain will likely come back as it can take several days for the steroid to start doing it's thing.

Out of commission? You shouldn't be, unless they dope you up good for the procedure.

quote:
Will there be a recovery period?

What I tell everyone is that while you may be pain free, that doesn't mean that the problem has gone away. You didn't magically get the spine of a teenager. I can't tell you how many patients I get that feel great after and proceed to go out and do the same activities that got them there to begin with. Bottom line is, you've got a bad back. Treat it accordingly. We can treat the symptoms, but the problem remains unless and until it's fixed surgically (and I would avoid that as long as you can).

Good luck. Some folks get great relief with just one. Others require several. Others still, it just doesn't work. Hopefully you're in the first group.

ETA: Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Well, I had my final shot yesterday. Pain is already down to around a 2, which is great.

I'll continue with PT to strengthen my core, but I'm quite pleased with things so far.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shots can be very effective.

I’m going through my 3rd ser of these over the last 10 yrs. L5 and 4. I’ve had 3 surgeries since age 32. I’m 70. Generally they work although the duration of effectiveness may grow shorter.

When I had my first 2 courses, the doc used some local deadening. Now uses prophenol to knock out completely in this 3rd set.

Second st, about 3 yrs ago, didn’t last but about 3-4 weeks. Next step was radio ablation which was very effective and lasted over 2 yrs.

Technique uses radio emissions via needle to “burn” sheaths off of nerves. At least that’s my layman knuckle dragging understanding of how it works.

Had my second steroid injection 3 weeks ago and like last time, not very effective. Anticipate ablation will once again be brought into play.

Side effect of injection is elevated blood sugar if that’s a concern.

Best of luck!

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
There's a lot going on around the lumbar region. For those who have had shots, any effect on urinary, bowel or sexual functions?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
There's a lot going on around the lumbar region. For those who have had shots, any effect on urinary, bowel or sexual functions?

No effects for me.

I still have some pain, but it's about 75% reduced from where it was. Pain is mainly when I first get up and late in the day.

Pain doc said to keep going with physical therapy and my daily exercises.

So far, two thumbs up.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

I still have some pain, but it's about 75% reduced from where it was. Pain is mainly when I first get up and late in the day.

Pain doc said to keep going with physical therapy and my daily exercises.

So far, two thumbs up.

I've been fighting bad leg and back pain for a year and a half and yeah, first thing out of bed was the worst. My primary care doc gave me a sheet of core exercises as therapy, she has nothing good to say about surgery, chiropractors, acupuncture and shots. I've been afraid of going into those treatments with such a negative attitude.

I rolled the dice and sprung for a different, good quality chair. I bought a used Aeron, figuring I wouldn't take a great loss if I sold it. Side note: Crimenently I hate dealing with Craig's List but it came through.

Anyway, I spend too much time in a chair and my old one was a very poor fit, seat too flat and came forward to near the back of my knees. The new chair has a radiused falloff at the front, isn't so long and has much improved lumbar support. It's been a revelation, I'd say my pain is a quarter of what it had been. I would have paid a bunch for the improvement I've seen.

My problems still exist but it's clear the wrong chair was really messing with me.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Well, the pain has been gradually increasing, and it looks like I'll be getting a second shot.

PT is going well, but I haven't been doing my exercises as faithfully as I should have been, but I've been improving in that regard.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

posted Hide Post
I injured my back in Feb 2014. Tried the shots 3 times, did PT and workplace hardening (more PT) and even tried a shot in my hip since I had longstanding issues with the hip on the same side in an effort to determine exactly what was going on. I finally had micro discectomy on the L2/3 in Oct of that year. Eventually had the hip replaced in Nov of 15. The shots never really did much for me in either case. Its a bummer but its worth trying them to avoid surgery. Hope your second one does the trick for you.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shots worked for me for awhile. Tend to work on back related leg pain for me. First series severAl years ago had lidocane. Somewhat painful when close to nerve. Now doc uses Propofol to knock out completely.

I also have recently had the radio ablation series for back pain. Worked well for over a year.

Now doc seems to favor propofol for his procedures. Guess it’s easy to use and ensures patient won’t move or flop around. Only down side is you are pretty well cooked for the day. No driving, making important decisions, operating machinery, voting or voicing political opinions in mixed company.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
L3L4 a few months back. Instant, i mean do mean instant relief. I felt the proceedure but cant say it was uncomfortable. Had a knee done over 10 years ago, it is still fine.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Well, I had my second shot yesterday, and was in much more pain after the shot than before. Thankfully, the pain resided as the day went on, and I am feeling much better this morning. Still a little pain, but much better.

Phone's ringing, Dude.