SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting A Shot For Lumbar Pain
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting A Shot For Lumbar Pain Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted
Since October, I have had pain that starts at the base of my spine and heads down both of my thighs to just above the knee. It is fine when I'm sitting or lying down, but when I stand or walk there is pain from moderate to severe. I have been having physical therapy for about a month which has helped. It hasn't caused me to miss any work, but does cause pain.

I had an MRI and my doctor says that I have a slipping disc that's causing a pinched nerve in my lumbar area. I have the shot tomorrow.

What should I expect? Will there be instant relief, or will I be out of commission any? Will there be a recovery period?

Thanks!

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Little discomfort during the injection. Should begin to relieve pain right away.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Instant relief. It’s amazing if done right.

After the shot, don’t get to thinkin that your young again & you can start picking up heavy stuff. That’s how most folks re-hurt their back.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mine was in between my neck and shoulder, the shot felt like an elephant sitting on me. W/I three days I began feeling better...not great, but I could now sleep lying down, a week goes by and it was incredible, I did get two more shots after a few weeks.

For a total of three shots in the series.

I waited too long before going to the doc and have nerve damage such that my fingers tingl all the time in my left hand.

Good luck. I know it will feel better

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
What should I expect?

Sedation if you want it. Most folks don't need it. You'll be placed in a prone position and your lower back will be prepped and draped. Unless it's just a very basic injection with nothing fancy, XRay will be used to guide the needle into the correct position. There can be some pain as the needle tip gets close to the injection site (the nerve), but if you do have any, it's not bad...just kind of surprising.

quote:
Will there be instant relief, or will I be out of commission any?

If they add local to the injection (most of us do) you will have relief fairly quickly. However, this relief will go away once the local wears off (up to 18 hours depending on what they use). Your pain will likely come back as it can take several days for the steroid to start doing it's thing.

Out of commission? You shouldn't be, unless they dope you up good for the procedure.

quote:
Will there be a recovery period?

What I tell everyone is that while you may be pain free, that doesn't mean that the problem has gone away. You didn't magically get the spine of a teenager. I can't tell you how many patients I get that feel great after and proceed to go out and do the same activities that got them there to begin with. Bottom line is, you've got a bad back. Treat it accordingly. We can treat the symptoms, but the problem remains unless and until it's fixed surgically (and I would avoid that as long as you can).

Good luck. Some folks get great relief with just one. Others require several. Others still, it just doesn't work. Hopefully you're in the first group.

ETA: Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.

Posts: 19976 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since October, I have had pain that starts at the base of my spine and heads down both of my thighs to just above the knee. It is fine when I'm sitting or lying down, but when I stand or walk there is pain from moderate to severe.

Same thing here, imaging shows bulging discs, bone spurs. And yep, when bad, severe. I've got such negative feedback from my primary care doc, I've shied away from treatment, afraid it'll be a waste of time. I haven't given up but trying to live with it until I can't.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’ve had epidural steroid injections three times. The first time I had complete relief of symptoms for four months. The next time 80% relief or so for three months. But it took six months to get the next injection, which gave maybe 60% improvement.
Then I started going to the gym and working out with a trainer who has worked on strengthening my back muscles.
I no longer feel the need to have injections, although who knows what the future holds.

I will say I had lower back pain and neural claudication, meaning pain in my thighs when walking, but never had tingling or weakness in the legs. That would usually be an indication for surgery, as I understand it.

At this point I can stand and walk indefinitely, just spent two weeks working at various carpentry and handyman tasks without any big problems.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
If done right hardly any pain at all doc numbs the area around injection site. Hold still you don’t want the needle point to go deeper you will flop like a crappy. If it does not take on the first shot don’t be discouraged it took three for me. I was looking at going in for my third surgery if it didn’t take....that was 6 years ago. Now they can do a lot of the surgeries laparoscopic laser.

Praying that you find relief on your first shot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice, all! I'll post how it works for me.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll cut across the grain here but they weren't any fun for me. Maybe it was the doctor that did them but for whatever reason I don't numb up real well and it was painful. The first two took care of the pain for about 4 months. The next four did nothing. I finally had lumbar surgery in June of last year and that solved the problem. My back hasn't felt better in years.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cortisone shot was many years ago, L5 if I remember correctly.

the shot was painful, made me groan out loud. afterward I was walking pain free. went to PT for a few weeks which was good.

Learned to strengthen my back muscles, deep knee bends taught me to sit down, slowly, rather just plopping down which was probably as much to do with my injury as any thing

ymmv
john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you. It can be a godsend for the problem.

Some people get less relief.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never had much pain from the shots. I did get a bit of relief from them. Enough relief that I could get therapy and strengthen up my back. I ended up with three cortisone shots, one epidural, and a few anesthetic shots.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Follow the post procedure instructions on activity very closely. I have seen several ESI fail because patients get to feeling better, think they are cured and then over due it.

Make it count

Posts: 1411 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only one shot no pain and quick relief for couple months. Not too disciplined on my exercises to build up back muscles.

Posts: 649 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
You just said “the shot”. A shot of What?

I recently went thru the same thing. Pinched nerve from degenerating disk disease that went down my right leg to my knee. After going over the results of an MRI, he gave me a shot of Kenalog. I felt nothing, and I can not tolerate needles in any form. Got some relief, but needed Advil for a few weeks, but for the last two months I have felt nothing in my leg.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I've had those injections in the past for the same medical condition.Helped the first couple of times, later they didn't.

I quit having it done. Be aware that continued injections actually cause more damage to your spinal problem.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I had two epidurals for herniated disk (L3 and L4). Full anesthesia. You don’t want to be moving around when they are in there.

Had mine in 2010.

First one did nothing.

A second one some weeks later combined with physical therapy from a pretty red head three times a week did the trick for me.

I have heard to try up to three before you even consider surgery.

I still have pain from time to time when I am on my feet for hours but it’s manageable. But One thing is for sure, I learned how to take better preventative care of my lower back.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Well, it turns out that yesterday was just (another) assessment.

Friday, I have a "test" shot with temporary pain relief, to make sure that they're going to get the right spot.

I guess next week they'll give me the "semi-permanent" shot.

I'll keep you posted.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Okay, the test shot only got my pain down to around a 3. The doc said that if that shot didn't work, then she now knows the place to give me the "correct" shot. Apparently, they're going to give me a steroid shot on the 26th.

I can't stress enough to do your physical therapy if you are given it. It has helped tremendously.

quote:
Well, it turns out that yesterday was just (another) assessment.

Friday, I have a "test" shot with temporary pain relief, to make sure that they're going to get the right spot.

I guess next week they'll give me the "semi-permanent" shot.

I'll keep you posted.

Phone's ringing, Dude.