SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Said I was giving LE one last shot and meant it
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Said I was giving LE one last shot and meant it Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've followed your threads from the beginning. Read your last post and it sums up what I've seen a long the way: you come across as a conceited asshole who is dismissive of others. I know you're frustrated by the way this has gone for you, but read through your last post. Be it in the army or your application processes, everybody who doesn't like you, has stood in your way, or has excelled where you have not is an asshole, a slug, a piece of shit, etc. You belittle people's physical appearance on more than one occasion and use irrelevant examples to "prove" your point. One thing that I know from being involved in a hiring process or two is that being good on paper and passing they physical and written tests are less than half the battle.

I'm legitimately sorry that it has been such an ordeal, but if 10% of the attitude and arrogance you've displayed in these threads has seeped out along the way, there's no great mystery here.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Uninformed question. Can you obtain the results of the stress test?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brevard County Sheriff's Dept is not that far away. Great Sheriff. Great County. They're always hiring bc they seem to lose all of their deputies to Orange and Orlando Deptartments.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I know those bureaucrats want something "scientific" to hang their hiring-decision hats on. They think it will protect them later and that they will be able to point to the test and say, "We had no idea he would go off the deep end. And we checked."

Cops (no offense to those here who are cops) seem to love a semi-scientific test and also put more stock in such things that is justified. I believe that polygraphs and voice-stress is, not to put too fine a point on it, close to junk science. Or, if not junk, not rigorous enough to make hiring decisions.

That's about it. And it's not just cops. I think those tests are the latest things. Google probably sells the tests to employers.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I went through the exact same BS back in 1991. I was flat out told if I had been a minority I would've been hired. Infuriated me. There is NO way I could do a LEO's job in today's society though. Best of luck to you.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I went through the exact same BS back in 1991. I was flat out told if I had been a minority I would've been hired. Infuriated me. There is NO way I could do a LEO's job in today's society though. Best of luck to you.

Me neither.

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry you won't relocate. Little Rock PD is short about 60 officers and could use your application.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Maybe they are afraid that a Captain/almost-Major is too high ranking to start as a new recruit and patrolman.

They could be fearful that you won't take orders well or be resentful of a superior who is less old or experienced than you.

This is, potentially, a legitimate concern. Employers have had problems with over-qualified applicants.

I'm not saying they are right, but it is something they can be legitimately worried about.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Babe Ruth once said something like, you've got to swing the bat a lot of times before hitting a home run.

Leave your current app's in place and just see what happens. You never know, if you don't want to apply anywhere else after that, then don't.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I know your frustration. All I ever wanted to be as a child was a police officer so toward the end of my enlistment in the Air Force I applied for the Texas DPS. I was living out of state at the time so I got to test with two other guys who were already LE. All three of us were white males and the DPS Sgt. told me I would have to apply multiple times before they would pick me since I was not a minority. He was right, they passed me over. MY sister-in-law is Mexican, she applied and got accepted the first time. She ended up quitting before she made it through the academy.
I applied for the TSA when they first got started, being in EOD in the military (explosive ordnance disposal) I figured I was a shoe in but you guessed it, they did not hire me. Years later I ma better off not getting both of those, I have two pensions coming and I make a great deal of money, easily twice what those would have paid, considering I have no degree. Don't let it get you down.

Posts: 4077 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I'd contact my representative and get him to write a letter in my behalf.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
due to information developed as a result of the voice stress analysis, your application will not be processed further

VSA is just as voodoo as a poly.

It means nothing beyond being a measurable statistic that admin can hang their hat on if something goes wrong down the line: "Not our fault, he passed the 'insert voodoo method here'".

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I understand your frustration with the city and department that denied your application, but why pull your application from a different department in a different city?

It seems like you're limiting your options, there is no guarantee that they would treat you the same way, and my be inching you up the hiring list.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This is the problem with the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

This is Sheriff Jerry Demmings who's infected every layer of OCSO management with his hand selected favorites. I have maybe a dozen friends who work at the OCSO, and without exception, they all hate working for this man and his corrupt crew. Look into the Seminole County Sheriff's Office.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Seriously try my neck of the woods. San Diego PD is about 200 somewhat short on officers and more that leave because of pay to other areas.
Don't know about San Diego Sheriff.

Posts: 1892 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My wife hasn't said it this time but she did say she was glad I didn't get the job in Phoenix. She doesn't want me to get into LE.

Family comes first so I'm calling quits on my search.

It just wasn't meant for me.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

I've had far too many conversations with this fool over the years and can say that bigdeal is spot on with his assessment.

Last I knew, OCSO was down about 230 deputies from full staffing. Everyone I talk to from there tells me it is shit show of epic proportion right now. The number of "good agencies" in the Central Florida area seems to be rapidly dwindling.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bigdeal since I have seen it in other lines of work. Be glad you didn't get accepted.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CWR67:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

I've had far too many conversations with this fool over the years and can say that bigdeal is spot on with his assessment.

Last I knew, OCSO was down about 230 deputies from full staffing. Everyone I talk to from there tells me it is shit show of epic proportion right now. The number of "good agencies" in the Central Florida area seems to be rapidly dwindling.

There are a shitload of sponsored soon-to-be Deputies in the current academy but County is hemorrhaging people left and right, going to OPD or other agencies with better pay.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Maybe they are afraid that a Captain/almost-Major is too high ranking to start as a new recruit and patrolman.

They could be fearful that you won't take orders well or be resentful of a superior who is less old or experienced than you.

This is, potentially, a legitimate concern. Employers have had problems with over-qualified applicants.

I'm not saying they are right, but it is something they can be legitimately worried about.

This is an astute point.

They could be concerned you will get hired - get 2 yrs experience - then leave.

I don't know... I do know - don't take it personally.

Also - can you re-visit why you left the Army?

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post