SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Said I was giving LE one last shot and meant it
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Said I was giving LE one last shot and meant it Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
If you really want to be a police officer do not give up. Let the process with other departments go through.
What did you do in the military? What is your collage degree in?

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
AZ cannot find enough officers to fill vacant positions. AZ DPS, PHX PD and most other agencies are facing massive shortfalls due to retirements. One large agency has .40% of its officers retirement eligible.

Have you considered a federal agency?

You said you don't want to relocate but if this has been you dream, it might take a move away from FL. It's hard not to take it personally but don't give up. I was passed over by two medium sized agencies years ago and accepted by a third large agency. It turned out for the best. Once you're hired you can usually transfer to another agency with a lot less hassle.

Follow your dream...

GF's 22 year old son was passed over by both Tucson Police Department and Pima Sheriff's dept and then hired last January by AZ Department of Corrections.

Border Patrol is also looking for applicants.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I'll just throw this out there....have you ever considered applying at the Postal Inspection Service? Bi-lingual, college degree and military background; sounds like you might have a good shot.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be awful curious to know what information they "developed"...

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
"due to information developed as a result of the voice stress analysis, your application will not be processed further."

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear it, Edmond.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Fuck it, you have better things to do with your life.

Especially working somewhere else that doesn't use such vague, subjective, nonsense as a disqualifier for their hiring decisions. You're better off without those dumbasses.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Especially working somewhere else that doesn't use such vague, subjective, nonsense as a disqualifier for their hiring decisions. You're better off without those dumbasses.

I know those bureaucrats want something "scientific" to hang their hiring-decision hats on. They think it will protect them later and that they will be able to point to the test and say, "We had no idea he would go off the deep end. And we checked."

Cops (no offense to those here who are cops) seem to love a semi-scientific test and also put more stock in such things that is justified. I believe that polygraphs and voice-stress is, not to put too fine a point on it, close to junk science. Or, if not junk, not rigorous enough to make hiring decisions.

So don't take it personally. Like I said, I wouldn't want to work somewhere that was a hiring criteria. Or maybe you don't check a needed hiring category, although my own guess is that they are, in fact, relying on something they think they learned from this mumbo jumbo test.

If you want to be a cop - do some research. Find someplace more reasonable, or where demand is higher.

Good luck.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
When I get home today, I'm going to go online and withdraw from the other department I applied at.

I understand the frustration.

But I'd suggest just letting things play out.

Don't take yourself out of the game, make them turn you down.

If you don't want to apply for any more LE jobs that's fine. But letting your application that's "in" sit isn't going to cost you anything.

If they call for a poly or CVSA, you can decide then if you want to go, but give yourself some time before you 86 an app that has a chance of going all the way.
What he said. We frequently lose people after job offers are made. Happens all of the time.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I know those bureaucrats want something "scientific" to hang their hiring-decision hats on. They think it will protect them later and that they will be able to point to the test and say, "We had no idea he would go off the deep end. And we checked."

Cops (no offense to those here who are cops) seem to love a semi-scientific test and also put more stock in such things that is justified. I believe that polygraphs and voice-stress is, not to put too fine a point on it, close to junk science. Or, if not junk, not rigorous enough to make hiring decisions.

Agree, one particular test I took was 100% bullshit.

It was a video test of 54 multiple choice questions called the "Ergo Test." Each question was a hypothetical scenario with four possible answers.

Test takers picked one of four responses and your score was matched up with the answers that a "successful officer" would give or something like that. Probably the police version of a "reasonable person" composite. The test was supposedly given to a statistically significant number of officers who were polled to form a range of acceptable answers.

For example:
You are in your cruiser, stuck at a corner light that isn't changing very quickly. There are no exigent circumstances. You:

A) Run lights and sirens till you get through the intersection.

B) Make a quick right, cut through a gas station and bypass the light.

C) Honk the driver in front of you.

D) Wait your turn at the light.

I took that test so many times that I memorized ALL the questions and the possible answers. I then went around to officers and gave them the hypos from the test along with the four choices. I did eventually get around to asking multiple officers all 54 questions. Interestingly, all their answers were universally the same, and my answers, even prior to talking with them were the same as theirs.

I don't know what it says about the agency if the officers they hired 5-10 years prior couldn't pass the test they're giving now.

And as long as that agency kept that shitshow as part of its hiring process, I never passed that phase. As soon as they ditched it (it was rolled into the "written" test), I passed and went on to background and interviews.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks. I was frustrated too applying and testing all over before getting on. There are a metric shit ton of cop jobs out there but, I guess not where you are at. For your sake I wish you would consider moving. But, that is your choice.

Maybe Florida is like some bigger departments in the Midwest where it is easier, quicker and cheaper to hire a person that already is certified.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
"Voice stress analyses" and "polygraph" tests are, IMO, way too subject and open to interpretation. Get somebody that, for example, just plain doesn't like you for any reason or no reason at all, and even if you do "pass" these tests, he'll just make shit up and hide behind it to "justify" it.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

So don't take it personally. Like I said, I wouldn't want to work somewhere that was a hiring criteria. Or maybe you don't check a needed hiring category, although my own guess is that they are, in fact, relying on something they think they learned from this mumbo jumbo test.

If you want to be a cop - do some research. Find someplace more reasonable, or where demand is higher.

Good luck.

Agreed, but I'm going to be a little more blunt. Fuck these jerkoffs and their pseudo-scientific horse shit. Why don't they get a phrenologist to feel your head while they're at it? It means about as much.

In one of the other threads (I've been following them even if I don't post), somebody brought up the possibility of your being over-qualified. Could there be something to it?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
When I get home today, I'm going to go online and withdraw from the other department I applied at.

I understand the frustration.

But I'd suggest just letting things play out.

Don't take yourself out of the game, make them turn you down.

If you don't want to apply for any more LE jobs that's fine. But letting your application that's "in" sit isn't going to cost you anything.

If they call for a poly or CVSA, you can decide then if you want to go, but give yourself some time before you 86 an app that has a chance of going all the way.

Edmond, this is wise advice. Most of us didn't get hired right away. I didn't get this job until later in life. In fact, I had just been turned down by a neighboring department in which I was one of the highest graded candidates for that entire year, but yet I wasn't even given a reason to why they didn't hire me, other than they were going in a "different direction".

Chicago came calling for my psych exam shortly thereafter. I cleared my mind and looked at the interview as another turn at bat. I ended up getting hired. You never really know what's going to happen, so hang in there. Its worth the effort. Best of luck Smile

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It just burns me knowing I'm more qualified than others.

I consistently score 280-290 on the PT test. One Soldier in my reserve unit, white female, who got hired last year scored a fucking 205. If you know anything about the female Army PT scale, you'll know 205 is a fucking joke. She's a piece of shit as a LT, 6', 150 pounds of sloppy shit and she gets hired?

-double major in psychology and criminal justice from the University of Illinois Chicago
-8 years active duty service
-consistently scored 280-290 on PT tests
-no UCMJ against me
-CPT due to make MAJ next year
-native Cantonese speaker
-clean background
-superiors like me (except for one fat asshole of a MAJ who had a personal vendetta against me)
-not related to anyone who has a criminal record
-don't have friends with criminal records
-don't do drugs, don't smoke, don't drink alcohol, don't even drink soda
-trained in Hapkido, little muay thai and BJJ
-tickets in 20 years of driving: 2 seat belt tickets
-credit score in the low 700's

I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant asshole but I know it's not me!

If it is, you guys can let me have it but I seriously doubt it's me.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Edmond, is this LE agency short staffed? Sometimes finding a agency in your area that is hurting for staff can be the open door you need to open other doors.

They may have been, they were looking to hire 140 this year.

quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
AZ cannot find enough officers to fill vacant positions. AZ DPS, PHX PD and most other agencies are facing massive shortfalls due to retirements. One large agency has .40% of its officers retirement eligible.

I applied and tested at PHX PD, "failed" the polygraph last year. They had this little 4'8" asshole do my polygraph. He had the biggest chip on his shoulder, before we even started he went to tell me how it's 100% accurate and how he challenged his kids college professor to sit on the polygraph. There were 10 questions, 9 went by with no issues. The question "have you omitted anything from this application?" he said I was "bothered by it." Pulls his chair up to me and whispers, "what is it? You can tell me and we can work together and get through this. If not, the process ends here." I felt like I was on the first 48.

Few months later, some cops quit because they got caught forcing a guy to eat marijuana. Yep, most qualified.

quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
If you really want to be a police officer do not give up. Let the process with other departments go through.
What did you do in the military? What is your collage degree in?

I was a field artillery officer on active duty. Currently in the reserves reclassing to logistics. Dual major in criminal justice and psychology, applying at numerous MBA programs now.

quote:
Originally posted by markand:
I'd be awful curious to know what information they "developed"...

quote:
"due to information developed as a result of the voice stress analysis, your application will not be processed further."

If I still gave a fuck, I'd be curious to know, too. They told me in the e-mail:

quote:
Thank you for your application for a position with the Orange County Sheriffs Office. Your interest is appreciated; however we regret to inform you that your application will not be processed further due to information developed as a result of the Voice Stress Analysis.

The agency generally allows for re-application after one year provided a position exists at that time. This may not include candidates whose history indicates unfitness for duty, who were untruthful, or who did not meet minimum requirements. If you are eligible and interested after one year, please re-apply on line for further consideration.

Again, the Recruiting Staff appreciates your interest in our agency and wishes you success in your career endeavors.

So what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Sorry to hear. Sounds like you are more than qualified. You should hear the stories trying to get hired as a Chicago PO.

Good luck whatever you choose to pursue.

I tested for CPD back in 2006 before leaving for the Army. Passed the written, physical, psych and medical. Only thing left was background but CPD was so backed up that they didn't send the background check notification until 2012 or so and I was already in the Army for 4 years at that point...

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm just tired of getting bumped for subjective shit because they don't have anything objective to drop me for.

I feel it's an ulterior motive.

I don't fit the angry, mis-represented minority type they want to hire to appease the PC crowd.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jhe888-

Are polygraph tests still inadmissible in court? I think, in the past they were considered too unreliable to be trusted for purposes of testimony, and wonder if this is still the case?

When I hear somebody say that they rely on the tests because their polygrapher is "really good" I have to laugh. Who really is sucker enough to fall for that BS?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand your frustration but a word of advice.

Employers now go thru social media when screening new candidates. You may want to consider that prior to making any further posts.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are polygraph tests still inadmissible in court?

To my knowledge, yes. They can be used as a piece of the puzzle, so to speak, in the investigation, but not in court. However, what is or is not admissible in court doesn't apply to hiring for a job.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I'm guessing you lack "diversity preference points".

I'm not female, not black and not hispanic. I'm the "wrong" minority.

Have you thought of identifying as a women, "Edna"?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I think I may have asked you in the past,did you look at Polk county. If they pay for your training they require you to be a detention deputy for two years before you go on the road.
I have a friend who retired from the Coast Guard after 27 years. He applied with Polk county and was hired. They paid his way through the academy.
He went to work as a detention deputy and after only a year they wanted him to go on the road. He decided to stay as a detention deputy.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, my experience is similar to yours. I was even an MP and a patrol supervisor and still got the shaft because it's not who you are, or even who you know as much as who you're related to.
Unless your a minority or a relative of / friend of somebody your chances are slim unless you are just plain lucky..

If you live near a military installation you could get a DOD job as a civilian cop. Pretty much are an MP without the joys of being in the military. Not as much excitement but it still has its moments and those guys get away with way more bull shit than us active duty soldiers

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I used to work there. It's a shit show. I hated my time there. Everyone on the squad hated their time there. They all bitched and moaned that they wish they had become firefighters. Not even kidding. They did you a favor. Seminole County S.O. has a much better reputation.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post