SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you were moving across the country and....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were moving across the country and.... Login/Join 
posted
....and bringing ~ 5 firearms, and driving was not an option so you had to fly,

Would you:
-just check the firearms on the airplane?
-have an ffl send them then pick them up when you get there?

This summer me and the wife are moving up to AK for work, it's a permanent type thing and we will initially be living off the road system so I can't exactly take my whole safe full of guns.

I've narrowed it down to 5 that I will be just fine with (22lr, 30-06, 308, a few 44mags). I have a close friend who is an ffl, so he would not charge me his fee, I'd just pay the shipping then whatever fee I'll end to pay on the receiving end.

Or is it better to just pay the extra baggage and put them on the plane? Seems like this option saves time but is potentially more of a headache and possibly much more expensive (if they charge me like 100 bucks for every extra piece of baggage).

Also, I'm guessing I'd need to get a new state license to pick up my stuff from an ffl/shop.

Has anybody done this? Any advice?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I moved from Alaska to Canada, I shipped my guns and ammo to my Dad's in the Upper Midwest. When I moved from Canada to the US, I had to figure out how to move my guns from the Upper Midwest to Texas. I already owned two pelican 1750 and two Pelican storm 3300 cases so every trip to Dad's I returned with two full gun cases. I bought some extra foam so sometimes to give me custom fit for shotguns, rifles, and pistols in the cases. Never had any problems flying the guns back with United Airlines.

Here are 2 examples:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
When I moved from Alaska to Canada, I shipped my guns and ammo to my Dad's in the Upper Midwest. When I moved from Canada to the US, I had to figure out how to move my guns from the Upper Midwest to Texas. I already owned two pelican 1750 and two Pelican storm 3300 cases so every trip to Dad's I returned with two full gun cases. I bought some extra foam so sometimes to give me custom fit for shotguns, rifles, and pistols in the cases. Never had any problems flying the guns back with United Airlines.

Here are 2 examples:

Thanks for the pics, I'm definetly going with pelican cases, just need to figure out the best way.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd fly them up with me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Don't ship them to an FFL in a state you aren't a legal resident of. For handguns, at least, he won't be able to legally release them to you, friend or not.
Getting a new license may still not make things easy. For example, in my state, a new license can't be used for firearms transactions withing thirty days of issue.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Don't ship them to an FFL in a state you aren't a legal resident of. For handguns, at least, he won't be able to legally release them to you, friend or not.
Getting a new license may still not make things easy. For example, in my state, a new license can't be used for firearms transactions withing thirty days of issue.

Interesting, I was wondering about that. I'll research it a bit. My plan is actually to get my alaska drivers license the day I get there or early the next day so I can establish residence so I can hunt next year as a resident.

At the same time though, if I have to fly out To the bush without my guns, that's a problem.

posted Hide Post
I'm actually at this point thinking of just leaving my 22 behind and buying one up there.

So long as there's no problem with the license.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I seem to recall reading here about an AK-WA ferry during the warm weather months.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
You can ship them to yourself in care of another person. That person cannot open the package, but has to just hold it for you until you arrive. You don't need to involve an FFL. At least under Federal law. Here is a quote from ATF's FAQ:

"Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm."

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Or package them and ship them to yourself? Have your FFL buddy hold the package and ship it when you get to destination?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post