SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Court: Probe found over 300 'predator priests' in 6 dioceses
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court: Probe found over 300 'predator priests' in 6 dioceses Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Victims of sexual abuse, in addition to contacting civil authorities, are asked to come forward in order to receive pastoral assistance.

Yeah I think they've had enough "pastoral assistance".

They should find a church or organization that doesn't systemically harbor sexual deviants (pedophiles) and rapists.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I’m Catholic, and I’m tired of this shit. These so called “Priests” need to be tried, convicted, and sent to “pound me in the ass prison” so they can get their own dose. So tired of it. I’m loyal to my local Parish, not the Vatican or the Diocese.

I'm with you. When people ask, "Is the Pope Catholic?", I say "not this Pope." Bunch of commies at the Vatican currently and among the US Bishops.

It’s getting very difficult for me, call it a personal confliction. I wasn’t raised Catholic, and actually I had to raise myself since 5. In my life I attended and evaluated many religions, even Buddhism, and kicked it with the Krishnas. I loathed Baptists as they would always talk shit about other Christian faiths, and boy would they talk about money, 10% of gross, not net, then proceed every year to lay out the multi-million dollar building fund. Then I went non-denom and same thing. Last one I attended he is now on tv. They built a theme park and called it a Christian summer camp. I like the Catholic service, the order of it, the Eucharist, so many things, it’s where I fit. My parish is solid, mixed rice too, we have a large chunk of Hispanics so some of our services are mixed English/Spanish and dedicated Spanish services for them. It’s a great Parish, but my faith in Catholicism is being severely tested because of this subject. The Diocese needs to quit protecting these men and turn them over to the Police. The Priests can beg God’s forgiveness from Prison. My main Priest is married, which is allowed if you do it prior to seminary. The Church needs to change, and needed to decades ago. These clowns need to be locked up with the hardest severity allowed by law. The longest sentences, etc. A bad apple doesn’t spoil the barrel but this is extreme. Anyone harming a child needs to be punished severely.

Father at one mass recently said, and he has the data, for every single person that joins the Catholic faith, 7 Catholics leave. Gee I wonder why?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Church needs to permit priests to marry. It would take a couple of decades, but over time, this rampant problem of priests molesting children would diminish to almost nothing.

Pedophiles go into the priesthood because no one questions the marital status of priests. Think about it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^I've long held the same position.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The Church needs to permit priests to marry. It would take a couple of decades, but over time, this rampant problem of priests molesting children would diminish to almost nothing.

Pedophiles go into the priesthood because no one questions the marital status of priests. Think about it.

I agree with you. I see no reason why women can be priests either. If you have the belief, the conviction, all power to you if you can help people. It took centuries for the Church to ease up on the nuns as well. They are operating in the past to their own detriment.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

My wife and I were both raised Catholic like many who have responded in this thread. I too was an altar boy and attended parochial school up through 8th grade.

My wife said the same thing para said just this afternoon. She went further. She believes the ongoing criminal abuses by priests also justifies women priests. I wouldn’t have dreamed it, but I think both married priests and female priests may be the way to stop this shit.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn’t have dreamed it, but I think both married priests and female priests may be the way to stop this shit.

The Church is over 2000 years old. For the first 1000 years or so priests were allowed to marry. Also, under a ruling by Pope John Paul II, married Anglican and Lutheran ministers are already allowed to be ordained as Catholic priests on a case-by-case basis.

There have never been female priests. I'm not saying it couldn't or won't happen, but you will see married priests before you see female priests. Possibly in our lifetimes. There's a history and a tradition there... and the Church is big on tradition.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I wouldn’t have dreamed it, but I think both married priests and female priests may be the way to stop this shit.

The Church is over 2000 years old. For the first 1000 years or so priests were allowed to marry. Also, under a ruling by Pope John Paul II, married Anglican and Lutheran ministers are already allowed to be ordained as Catholic priests on a case-by-case basis.

There have never been female priests. I'm not saying it couldn't or won't happen, but you will see married priests before you see female priests. Possibly in our lifetimes. There's a history and a tradition there... and the Church is big on tradition.

I know and I don’t think we’ll get see women as priests either—probably ever, that’s just what my wife said.

Sad thing is, there’s a “history and tradition” among too many priests, and it’s proven to span at least 2 or 3 generations. Bastards

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
From my personal experience fallibility and forgiveness of sin has contributed to the perpetuation of this criminal behavior. The church says man is fallible and if you ask for forgiveness then you are forgiven, this has allowed these priests to say "I have sinned please forgive me" and their superiors have an easy out to let them off the hook. And the abusers continue abusing.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
there is no separation what so ever ,
if you want separation move to canada

There is separation between church and state here and it is guaranteed by our Constitution, thankfully.

It is pretty well established that taxing the profits of the press hasn't prevented them from exercising their own freedoms, so to claim Constitutional exemption from taxation for church activity based on the First Amendment would be an uphill battle.

There's no reason why profits earned by religious activity must be tax-free. They generally are, but that's by statute, not by the Constitution.

And, for the record, what is in the Constitution is just that the Feds can't set up a state religion or prevent you from exercising your own beliefs. "Separation of church and state" is a good idea, and the Constitutional prohibition of the Feds setting up something like a "Church of America" (as England did) goes along with that idea, but even that idea does not imply that church property/profits could not be taxed.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think they should allow marriage as well. I had a college professor that became a Catholic Priest. He was married with a baby at the time he taught me, but always felt the call to be a priest.

From his bio:

Dr.De Paulo was ordained as a deacon and priest in the United States in the Ukrainian Catholic Church, an Eastern Catholic church within the Roman Catholic Church. In 2007, he was installed as pastor in East McKeesport, Pennsylvania.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed, 1000%.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
From my personal experience fallibility and forgiveness of sin has contributed to the perpetuation of this criminal behavior.

This is one of the most obvious truisms about Christianity (and to a lesser degree, Islam). History reports that Constantine, the first Roman emperor to become a Christian, delayed his baptism until he was on his deathbed because being baptized washed away all his previous sins.

As I’ve mentioned in the threads about FBI outrages, the science fiction editor John Campbell observed that it’s not power that corrupts, but immunity. The FBI has long had immunity for its corruption, and it’s the same with abuse by clergy (and not just Catholic priests). They have long been immune to any consequences for their acts, and not only secular consequences. It’s obvious that anyone who claims to be a Christian could do such things only if he believed at least one of three things, that there is no such thing as an afterlife at all; that (as many people believe) there is an afterlife, but there’s no punishment there for acts here; or—as is probably the most likely explanation—that forgiveness of sin is just that: “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I had an orgasm and now I feel bad about it,” and although there may be some nominal “penance” attached to it, the important part is that now it’s all okay. And it will be okay after the next incident as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That forgiveness for any and all sins is what bothers me, too. In most every mobster movie, the Italian mafioso are oh so faithful and religious - yet they commit heinous crimes and believe they are forgiven? Pedophiles abuse children and are forgiven?

For those that know the bible, is this what it says and, more importantly, what it means? Or is there something more to it?

I'm hoping forgiveness is more like - murder someone and you get the room that's 5 degrees cooler than hell; abuse a child - well you're pretty much going to the middle of the sun to roast.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
For a person with faith, yes there is a hell but there is no one in it, as god is all forgiving.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a person with faith, yes there is a hell but there is no one in it, as god is all forgiving.

I don't think it's quite so easy.
You have to truly repent, and resolve to change your wicked ways. Not all do so.

Repent therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Acts 3:19

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
From my personal experience fallibility and forgiveness of sin has contributed to the perpetuation of this criminal behavior. The church says man is fallible and if you ask for forgiveness then you are forgiven, this has allowed these priests to say "I have sinned please forgive me" and their superiors have an easy out to let them off the hook. And the abusers continue abusing.

Yeah, it's the 'get out of jail free' card.

All the sinners show up on Sunday to get the soul washing, yet they do it again every week.

What a bunch of complete and utter bullshit.

If you never truly attempt to change your evil ways, you are just evil - which has nothing to do with religion or a belief in a god, it's just a fact.

And Religion has become a business - just look at the mega churches, and rich pastors, etc. They should be taxed like any other corporation or business entity. I know, I know - priest / pastor so and so REALLY needs that Bently and Gulfstream to wooo donors for more money...

It (church, religion, god) is just another method of control, if you ask me. Started with noble intent but has become perverted by power and greed - as those things normally do.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know, I know - priest / pastor so and so REALLY needs that Bently and Gulfstream to wooo donors for more money...

The Catholic Church has plenty of demons to exorcise, but I don’t think you’re going to find any parish priests riding in a Bentley or jetting around the world. I hope it’s not different where you are.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Religion has become a business - just look at the mega churches, and rich pastors, etc. They should be taxed like any other corporation or business entity. I know, I know - priest / pastor so and so REALLY needs that Bently and Gulfstream to wooo donors for more money...

I agree with you there... religion can be very lucrative. Some do use/abuse it for personal gain.

The business of religion for some can be a very profitable profession to enter. ...
Kenneth Copeland: Net Worth $760 Million

The Shocking Net Worth of These 10 Richest Pastors Will Blow Your Mind
https://www.cheatsheet.com/mon...blow-your-mind.html/

-rduckwor