SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Court: Probe found over 300 'predator priests' in 6 dioceses
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court: Probe found over 300 'predator priests' in 6 dioceses Login/Join 
posted
https://www.wtae.com/article/p...t=link&ICID=ref_fark

The Pennsylvania grand jury report is expected to reveal details of widespread abuse and efforts to conceal and protect Catholic priests.

HARRISBURG, Pa. —

A landmark grand jury report identifies more than 300 "predator priests" in six of Pennsylvania's Roman Catholic dioceses, the state Supreme Court said Friday in ordering the findings released. (Tap here to read the court ruling.)

The justices said the report on clergy child sexual abuse going back decades and allegations of cover-up efforts will be made public but without the names or "individual specific information" of priests and others who have challenged the findings, at least in the initial version to be released.

The court wants the redaction process to be completed by Aug. 8, when the 900-page report is expected to be made public. If there are disputes about what a court-appointed special master should black out, the report will go out the following week.

The Supreme Court said it will consider the challenges by some priests and others who say their constitutional rights to their reputations and to due process of law are being violated, based on not being able to address the grand jury.

"We believe that the risk that the grand jury's pronouncements will be seen as carrying the weight of governmental and judicial authority -- and as themselves embodying the voice of the community relative to particular findings -- is substantial," Chief Justice Thomas Saylor wrote.

Giving the report's subjects the right to file written responses, Saylor wrote, is "not sufficiently effective." He said there are divisions within the court about what can be done to provide the required due process of law. The court will hold oral argument on the subject in Philadelphia in September.

Saylor said the court wants to release the bulk of the report, warning the priests they can't assert objections to generalized content of the report simply because it might pertain to them.

"For example, with regard to (the report)'s depiction of more than 300 clergymen as 'predator priests,' this assertion will not be suppressed on the basis that a particular appellant has been named as being among the 300," Saylor said.

Several lawyers for priests who have challenged the report declined to comment or did not return messages seeking comment.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a job for Michael Carpenter.

I've been reading the Dresden Files and he, being Catholic and a super badass w/ a sword containing one of the nails from The Cross, I'm sure he would have been able to address the issue. But that's fantasy.

Also fantasy, it seems, is the Catholic church in expelling and making a proper example of these predators.
Those in authority over children are the worst kind.
-singed, a Christian.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Child abusers/molesters/rapists deserve the death penalty. And, I don't care what positions they hold in society.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Child abusers/molesters/rapists deserve the death penalty. And, I don't care what positions they hold in society.

+100000000000

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed 100%!

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Child abusers/molesters/rapists deserve the death penalty.

Yep. No other treatment has shown to have any therapeutic effect.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Will the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy write a letter in support of these priests?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sort of a rhetorical question here, but what is it with Priests? Is this problem really as prevalent as this report indicates? Or maybe is the problem statistically in line with the general population, but reports are shocking because Priests, along with some other vocations like teachers etc., are viewed as positions of trust, and we are dismayed when that trust is breached?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and they probably missed 25% of them ,

Bring on the bumpstocks !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Sort of a rhetorical question here, but what is it with Priests? Is this problem really as prevalent as this report indicates? Or maybe is the problem statistically in line with the general population, but reports are shocking because Priests, along with some other vocations like teachers etc., are viewed as positions of trust, and we are dismayed when that trust is breached?

I think pedophiles seek out professions that put them in contact with children in positions of trust: scout leaders, daycare workers, clowns, teachers, etc. Being a priest is an excellent spot it seems; one doesn't need to worry about having a wife for cover, so it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the Catholic Church appearing to cover up for these monsters over and over again, with almost apparent impunity.

The "jokes" about priests and altar boys go back many decades. From the outside it looks like organized evil at a very high level.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a start taxing everyone and the property that the church owns .

they want to live in a country that lets them get away with that shit ,
they "The church" needs to pay.

this billions of dollars of un taxable land b.s.,
its time to be over

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

It's a thoughtful question. I don't really know for certain but I have read that these incidents are "statistically in line with the general population".
The big issue for me is the cover-up. If you cover it up, you encourage more of it. If the Church wants to end it, they should turn them over for prosecution. That doesn't happen because: repentance, forgiveness, rehabilitation and all of that. The Church thinks that it can handle the problem "in-house" which I think is wrong and only makes it worse in the long run.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
a start taxing everyone and the property that the church owns .

they want to live in a country that lets them get away with that shit ,
they "The church" needs to pay.

this billions of dollars of un taxable land b.s.,
its time to be over

That's a bad idea and would violate the separation clause. The members of the Catholic Church themselves can put a stop to this if they move in an organized fashion. So far, they seem to have let it go.

posted Hide Post
I totally disagree
does anyone in the church get to vote?
does anyone in the church get any advantage that tax payers enjoy?

will any one in the church go to jail ?

If you get the advantages that tax payers provide you need to be paying taxes.

there is no separation what so ever ,
if you want separation move to canada

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
there is no separation what so ever ,
if you want separation move to canada

There is separation between church and state here and it is guaranteed by our Constitution, thankfully.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a bad idea and would violate the separation clause.

Respectfully, there is no such thing as a "separation clause" in the US Constitution.

The 1st Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Still, I agree that it would be a bad idea.
Do you want to tax all religious and charitable organizations on every dollar donated to them?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
I'm especially dismayed by this whole thing. I was raised Catholic in the Altoona-Johnstown Diocese. This was (I think) the first Pennsylvania diocese in which this horror was brought to light. Worse than that, I know just about everybody involved. My sons have several friends who were victims. Two of the people (brothers) most instrumental in bringing this situation to the forefront are very good friends of mine. One was a priest, defrocked because he had the temerity to take the (then) bishop to task over the cover the bishop ran for the errant priests. Along with these two, the county judge who ran the state-wide grand jury investigation is a really good guy; it's just too bad that it took so long to get through all of the "protection" that the bureaucracy mounted.

This article provides some interesting background: http://www.philly.com/philly/n...n_t_bother_me__.html

As if all of this isn't enough, one of our local pediatricians was recently charged for similar offenses.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is a grand jury report. Is the grand jury going to hand down any indictments? Isn't that what grand juries are supposed to do? That's where the rubber meets the road. Either crimes were committed or not.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Okay, I should have said establishment clause. It was off the top of my head and my mistake. Thank you for setting it right.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
That's a bad idea and would violate the separation clause.

Respectfully, there is no such thing as a "separation clause" in the US Constitution.

The 1st Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Still, I agree that it would be a bad idea.
Do you want to tax all religious and charitable organizations on every dollar donated to them?

posted Hide Post
No, no, no, the big issue is global warming/climate change. Right!

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post