SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking to leave Verizon..where do I go?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to leave Verizon..where do I go? Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post

Best option

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
The only phone that worked in remote locations was Verizon. Just my experience.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty happy with T-Mobile.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visible. Unlimited everything, including hotspot. It is on Verizons 4G towers (3G ends soon anyway), just lowers your priority, and used to limit speed to 5mbs. I believe they have eliminated the speed cap though. For $40/mo... I’ve been more than pleased.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We be been very happy with Verizon after switching from T-Mo coming up on 6 years ago. Hands down best coverage in my area.

I guess it depends on use and cost is always “relative”. My bill is $230/month includes taxes/fees for 6 lines (me, wife, son, Dad, brother in law, mother in law) and an iPad on a family Unlimited everything plan and no add’l charge or data roaming when in Canada. Averages about $33 per device.

Ditched the land line is 2014, it was up to almost $60/mo by itself with no long distance, data, or texting. Surprised landlines even still exist outside of rural areas with no coverage.

My son uses his phone as a hotspot as his only internet connection when not at work, his line alone is 30gb+ every month.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10960 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Clark Howard website reviewed Xfinity wireless (uses Verizon towers) and it was VERY well received. You can use the tens of thousands of Xfinity WiFi hotspots all over town for data, and really lower your data usage. If you use no data, your cell phone bill is exactly zero dollars. And that includes all the talk and text you want. If you are going to use over 3 gigs in a month, then you switch over to the unlimited plan ($45) for that month, then switch back to the pay as you go gig plan if your data usage is less than 3 gigs.

I use Total Wireless now (Verizon towers) and its offers good service. $25/month for unlimited phone and text. I add a 5gb data card for $10 and that last me 3-5 months. Its better to add the 5gb data cards at $10 than go with the $35/month plan that includes 5gb data, because the data cards don't expire. If you are on the $35 plan, you are paying for 5gb of data every month, that expires every month. The data cards dont expire, and are thus, a better value. I buy the airtime and data cards at Target because I get an additional 5% off by using the Target red card. Plus they put the cards on sale every 3 months or so, which technically knocks my monthly cost down to about $18-$20 a month.

If you are 55 and up, make sure to check out the senior 55 and up plan. T-mobile, Verizon, Sprint, and possibly ATT and probably others offer very nice discounts for 55+ customers.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cudameat:
Do you currently have any Xfinity/Comcast services...cable, internet?

If so, Xfinity Mobile uses the Verizon network but their plans are less expensive - they don't charge an automatic line fee like Verizon. You can get unlimited data or pay as you go at $12 per gig - no overage fees.
The Xfinity offer is this: you have to be an XFinity customer of internet first. You cannot join the Xmobile without being an internet customer. Their system works off of the over 18 million hotspots across the Country. If you lose a hotspot the signal then jumps onto a Verizon tower. It is not exclusively running off of Verizon. The unlimited plan is a better deal of about $45/mo. Unless you dont use much data. You also have to have a recent mfg I-phone to be usable to join, or purchase a new one from them (pay a minimum payment for 24mos). Its a great deal if you fall in the parameters or want to buy a new I-phone. sigguy(the 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5302 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Consumer cellular

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched from ATT to Tmobile years ago - 2013/2014, and I couldn't be happier with Tmo.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried Google Fi for 6 months and went back to Verizon. It wasn't that bad around urban areas but really dropped off in the sticks. Data speed was fine but rather inconsistent.

It would be good for kids though, cheap data and your bill will never be more than $89 ($100 for 2 lines.)

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
We’re with Verizon, and recently switched from an older, more expensive Verizon plan to paying $50/line for unlimited calls, texts, and data, and international from Canada to Mexico is included. OP, you may want to compare your current plan against this one… If you’re like us, it was cheaper to go with unlimited, and that way you’re able to avoid the hassle of switching to a new carrier and instead stay with Verizon’s dense coverage. And we didn’t get any kind of deal…as far as I know, $50 is their standard unlimited line charge.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have 2 phones and 2 lines with T-Mobile. Unlimited everything for $70 a month. I have never had any other cell provider because T-Mobile has always been less expensive.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
After leaving the fold, what is the best way to buy a phone?

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDA220:

I am now using OnePlus phones, you buy directly from the manufacturer, arrives in about a week. Flagship quality phones at substantial discount from you Samsung or iPhone pricing. Just check bands it uses against your new providers bands to make sure it covers it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Clark Howard website reviewed Xfinity wireless (uses Verizon towers) and it was VERY well received. You can use the tens of thousands of Xfinity WiFi hotspots all over town for data, and really lower your data usage. If you use no data, your cell phone bill is exactly zero dollars. And that includes all the talk and text you want. If you are going to use over 3 gigs in a month, then you switch over to the unlimited plan ($45) for that month, then switch back to the pay as you go gig plan if your data usage is less than 3 gigs.

I use Total Wireless now (Verizon towers) and its offers good service. $25/month for unlimited phone and text. I add a 5gb data card for $10 and that last me 3-5 months. Its better to add the 5gb data cards at $10 than go with the $35/month plan that includes 5gb data, because the data cards don't expire. If you are on the $35 plan, you are paying for 5gb of data every month, that expires every month. The data cards dont expire, and are thus, a better value. I buy the airtime and data cards at Target because I get an additional 5% off by using the Target red card. Plus they put the cards on sale every 3 months or so, which technically knocks my monthly cost down to about $18-$20 a month.

If you are 55 and up, make sure to check out the senior 55 and up plan. T-mobile, Verizon, Sprint, and possibly ATT and probably others offer very nice discounts for 55+ customers.

I have Total wireless as well for myself and two youngins. Three lines, unlimited talk, text and 20gb data to share. It's $83 a month with auto pay.

The wife refuses to let go of her super expensive Verizon unlimited plan, it's over $100 a month Roll Eyes

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

For Android, I know nothing.

If you want iPhone, check re-furbs direct from Apple:

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Google Fi and like it quite a bit. If I didnt have them Id probably do the Xfinity thing. We have 2 lines and pay about $53/mo.

I like my Pixel 2 vs my old iPhone but if you want an iPhone then check and make sure it will work without losing iMessage.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
One thing you may want to consider before leaving is Verizon's reliability. When Hurricane Isabel tore this area up in 03 the only people who had phone service for the next week, land line or cell, were the Verizon customers. No one else's worked.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Verizon is the only carrier around here with decent coverage. AT&T is spotty at best; T-Mobile & Sprint are non-existent.

They just lowered our monthly bill and upgraded us to unlimited long distance, texts & data. $120/month for two mobiles along with their Home Phone mobile service which we used to keep our old landline number.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3462 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've had good luck with Swappa.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post