SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Router Slowing Internet Speed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Router Slowing Internet Speed Login/Join 
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted
I recently bumped my internet up to account for plenty of streaming in the house. On my wired connections I'm getting the advertised 100/15 speeds, however my best wireless is 15/2. I'm using the new Airport Extreme and know it is capable of faster speeds, but I'm thinking there are some settings that are holding it back. Any network proficient folks on board that can break down some of the settings to the laypeople?

I'm using WPA2 Personal for Security. Other than that I don't feel like I have any limitations. I can see a running list of the connected clients and there are no moochers. Not sure where else the bottleneck could be.

Posts: 4220 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: December 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Could be many things but here's a tip:
2.4ghz band (if that is what you are using) only allow "N" protocol.

Could also be limited on client aka laptop, phone etc.

Have checked your throughput on a wired connection first?

Posts: 22900 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Wireless is nearly always slower than wired, IME.
And will bog down faster w/ multiple wireless clients attached.

Are you using 2.4 or 5 ghz?

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Something doesn't sound right at all. I get my full 85-100 Mbps from Comcast over my AirPort Extreme.

I'd say a good place to start is to do the following:

1. Check your cable modem if it's a DOCSIS 3 model, if it's not then upgrade that
2. Do a hard reboot of cable modem
3. Do a factory reset of AE and set back up after you did a hard reset of cable modem

quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Wireless is nearly always slower than wired, IME.
And will bog down faster w/ multiple wireless clients attached.

Not true; I USED to get half the wired speed on Wifi UNTIL I bought an Apple AE, now it's basically the same speed for me wired and Wifi.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Something doesn't sound right at all. I get my full 85-100 Mbps from Comcast over my AirPort Extreme.

I'd say a good place to start is to do the following:

1. Check your cable modem if it's a DOCSIS 3 model, if it's not then upgrade that
2. Do a hard reboot of cable modem
3. Do a factory reset of AE and set back up after you did a hard reset of cable modem

1. I'm running the SB6121 which has the DOCSIS 3
2. I've rebooted the modem.
3. I'll try this tonight after the wifey goes to bed. If I interrupt her hulu experience I'll be out on the front lawn.

I'm uding both the 2.4 and 5 bands. A couple of things I've never been sure of...

What is IPv6 and should I be using it. Current setting is Automatic/Native.

My channels for the 2.4 and 5 bands are set to automatic. Should I be choosing my own channel?

Posts: 4220 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: December 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Have checked your throughput on a wired connection first?

Yes, wired connections are as advertised at 100/15.

posted Hide Post
Try setting your own channels first in case you have close neighbors.

The 5ghz band works best when you are closer to the router.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
My channels for the 2.4 and 5 bands are set to automatic.

OK less try some IT-logic.
1. Turn of one band (to test)on router.
2. Changing the channel is unlikely the problem.
3. Document the settings ~ what protocol are you allowing.
4. WHAT client are you using and check the setting on it? What about on different devices?
5. How far away from the AP? Always test close and line of sight.

Also make sure the router firmware is up to date.

Posts: 22900 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post
I think I'm getting somewhere. I defined my channels and limited the radio mode to N only. I'm up to 65/11 on my phone. Going to go around the house and test the other devices.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Make sure you only use AES security.
Do not configure to allow TKIP also as it will limit your throughput.

Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post
OK I have a weird wrinkle. I have a guest network setup and just for grins I ran bandwidth test and my guest network is getting 112/13! My main network is coming it at an average of 40/11. Why is my guest network doing so well?

posted Hide Post
weird wrinkle: delete your current settings (Factory reset) and re-do the wifi network. I had a similar situation that was solved that way. All the same settings but BIG improvement

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Compare your settings and connections.
Both on same band.
Channel width the same.
Encryption the same ~ guest networks typically have not security.
Unencrypted are typically faster but unsecured.
Is on connecting on 5.0 and the other on 2.4?
Compare.

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
it's not about the security setting per se. check the settings of the airport. make sure it's set to g/n/ac (the network speed). Keep in mind that if you have an older device on the network it will slow all down to stay compatible. also if you are in a congested area with a lot of other wireless networks sometimes they can "step" on your network and slow it down. most routers change their channels automatically but you may have to manually tweek it.

if it's not settings/devices then it could be a hardware issue. apple's hard ware is pretty sweet and well made but anything can happen. take it to an apple store and have them check speed.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So...is your wifi all fixed now?

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post