SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cal 3 Initiative: making 3 Californias (UPDATED with Links)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cal 3 Initiative: making 3 Californias (UPDATED with Links) Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think if we combine the yellow and red w/ the green coastal regions and separate that from the other larger green and blue areas, we'll have separated CA into blue and red zones.

The blue zone will be the preferred land but the undesired populace.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Pure California Dreamin'

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:

Article 4, Section 3, Clause 1: “New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.”

So, it really is conceivable that they could form 3 new States out of one, but then we only admit one of the new States back into the union ?
hmmmm..... Smile

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I don't think that is an option. Congress would either approve of the split or just leave California as one state.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:

Article 4, Section 3, Clause 1: “New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.”

Don’t tell West Virginia. I don’t seem to recall Richmond giving the A-OK in 1863.

Virginia wasn’t part of the Union, you say? Well, that wasn’t Lincoln’s take, with him always asserting that the southern states were simply states in rebellion, and the U.S. Constitution was always in force over all the land (hence big-ass armies marching south). Can’t have it both ways. Either the Constitution was in effect, or the south was sovereign and was being invaded. Pick one.

My point? Don’t count on the Constitution stopping anything. It’s just a piece of paper if the powers that be choose to ignore it, like has been done a-plenty.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no way the states would let this happen.

CA can go fuck itself if they think voting for this means more than jack and shit.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
If California can do it, so can any of the red states. In fact, a red state could be split into 15-20 pieces. Each with two senators and at least one representative.
You can see where this can end up.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I would prefer just splitting off the ultra-lib GDCs in the heavily populated area between SF and LA.

The Liberal Enclaves of San Fangeles should be separated from the rest of Cali:

Do that, throw in Sacramento proper, and then make it a part of American Samoa, so they get the appropriate number of Senators and Representatives!

I think we have a plan! Smile

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
quote:

So, it really is conceivable that they could form 3 new States out of one, but then we only admit one of the new States back into the union ?
hmmmm..... Smile

How ‘bout four states as shown on the map and only admit the green one into the union?

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I don't favor any split that does not put the entire coast from San Francisco down through Los Angeles into the same state. The rest of the state can be broken up any way one desires as long as that criterion is met.

flashguy

Agree x 100. I am all for splitting up this oversized state but not using this terrible plan. State of Jefferson or even the New California plan are far better options.

I will vote a no on this one, not that it’ll matter. I’d hope it would be killed at the federal level PDQ.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
If California can do it, so can any of the red states. In fact, a red state could be split into 15-20 pieces. Each with two senators and at least one representative.
You can see where this can end up.

Sure - Europe under the EU. Everyone fragmented, and only the big powers really matter.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
THIS IS A BAD IDEA FOR CONSERVATIVES/GUN OWNERS (in or out of that state).

You can see from these maps that the Dems will overwhelmingly dominate all three of those proposed states (I'm sure it was planned that way).

Source: 'Three Californias' campaign gets $1 million boost - Sacramento Bee

Given how they want to divide CA, it would give the Democrat control of all three states. Note that there is a large urban area (SF/OAK, LA, SD) in each of the three proposed states. This would allow those urban (Democrat) votes to dominate each of those states. Los Angeles would dominate the new state of "California". San Francisco, San Jose, and Oakland would dominate the state of "Northern California". San Diego would dominate the state of "Southern California".

This would give the Dems four more Senators, and perhaps more Representatives in the US House. This is a power grab for the progressives.

They admit as much here, that this would add 4 more Democrats to the U.S. Senate.
‘Three Californias’ would likely mean four more Democrats in U.S. Senate - Sacramento Bee

Within the state, there is opposition on bother sides.
Three Californias? What you need to know. - Sacramento Bee

Here's a population map by county:

This is a 2016 election map by county for California:

Doing the math, you can see from the population and election maps above that the coastal-urban areas will dominate the politics of the three proposed states.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
Apparently, there may be legal and constitutional barriers to splitting up California, this way (by referendum).

Tim Draper’s Three Californias plan could mean nothing – or disaster. Make him stop. - Sacramento Bee

quote:
It’s election season, which means that voters are faced with yet another proposal to break the Golden State into several Californias. After trying (twice) and failing to break California into six pieces, billionaire venture capitalist Tim Draper is back with a new twist on the same idea.

His latest proposal – which qualified this week for the November 2018 general election – asks voters to divide California into three states. Similar fancies have failed more than 200 times since 1850. Since this proposal won’t seem to die, let’s review the fundamental constitutional defects that cripple each of its variants.

This and all similar proposals exceed the electorate’s initiative power because they are a revision to California’s Constitution. Measures that effect far-reaching changes in the state’s governmental framework can only be initiated by the state Legislature, or by calling a constitutional convention.

We expect the measure will face a pre-election legal challenge on this basis, among others. And like the failed Six Californias proposal and the aborted Calexit movement, this proposal must confront the Admissions Clause of the U.S. Constitution, which requires an existing state’s legislature to consent to the formation of a new state from its territory.

Because the California Legislature is supremely unlikely to agree to subdivision, the initiative tries to sidestep this requirement by providing that passage represents “legislative consent . . . given by the people.” False: Under California law the electorate and legislature are distinct political entities, and neither the California nor the U.S. high courts have interpreted their respective constitutions to equate a state’s legislature with its electorate in this context.

And even if Cal 3 clears that hurdle, the Admissions Clause also requires majority approval from Congress to admit new states to the union. Congress is unlikely to be interested in changing the balance of power it so jealously guards and surrendering one-seventh of the nation’s gross domestic product.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

Don’t tell West Virginia. I don’t seem to recall Richmond giving the A-OK in 1863.

Virginia wasn’t part of the Union, you say? Well, that wasn’t Lincoln’s take, with him always asserting that the southern states were simply states in rebellion, and the U.S. Constitution was always in force over all the land (hence big-ass armies marching south). Can’t have it both ways. Either the Constitution was in effect, or the south was sovereign and was being invaded. Pick one.

My point? Don’t count on the Constitution stopping anything. It’s just a piece of paper if the powers that be choose to ignore it, like has been done a-plenty.

in 1863 Virginia was not a US state. It left the union and joined the Confederate States of America. I think it is rather obvious neither President Lincoln, Congress or the Supreme court gave a crap about about any votes in Richmond.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The California Supreme Court on Wednesday blocked a proposal that would split the state into three from the November ballot.

The court wrote that it took the step “because significant questions have been raised regarding the proposition’s validity and because we conclude that the potential harm in permitting the measure to remain on the ballot outweighs the potential harm in delaying the proposition to a future election.”

Last week, an environmental group sued to have the measure removed from the ballot. To substantially alter the state's governance under the California constitution, the group argued, a constitutional convention would need to be called -- and that requires a supermajority of both houses of the state's legislature.

A ballot initiative, the group said, was constitutionally insufficient.

“In seeking to remove this initiative from the ballot, we are asking the court to protect the integrity of both the initiative process and our state constitution,” an attorney representing the environmental group, Carlyle Hall, said in a statement. “Proponents should not be able to evade the state constitution simply by qualifying a measure as one thing, when it is so clearly another.”

But the sponsor of the “Cal 3” initiative to split California into three states asked the state's Supreme Court last week to dismiss the lawsuit calling for the proposal to be pulled from the November ballot.

Tim Draper, a venture capitalist who spent more than $1.7 million supporting the initiative, told the court in a letter that there wasn't enough time to properly consider the legal challenge to his effort.

The court was under pressure to decide the issue quickly, because the California November ballot reportedly was set to go to the printer in early August.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post