SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The "Thou Hast Offended Me!" Crowd Strikes Again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Thou Hast Offended Me!" Crowd Strikes Again Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted
This is a story concerning a local restaurant.

Way back in 2009, some employees at a local restaurant (Julianna's) came to work dressed up like the Blue Man Group on Halloween. The manager took a picture and loved it so much she wanted to put it on the wall. However all the other photos on the wall are sort of retro-1940s, ie, black and white, so the manager had a b&w version of the picture processed so it would fit in with the rest of them.

It was on the wall for six years before the fateful day it offended someone. Rather than talk to management about it (and get the real story) he posted an image on facebook, alleging racism, etc. Other people saw the post and someone threatened to come destroy the restaurant. Full story, see link: link

I guess you're racist until you prove otherwise. And even then, you're still racist. All I can do is shake my head.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I love being called racist. I laugh my ass off. The left has totally, utterly, destroyed ANY meaning that term used to have. May as well just call me a "hoser", it has just as much meaning.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I love being called racist. I laugh my ass off. The left has totally, utterly, destroyed ANY meaning that term used to have. May as well just call me a "hoser", it has just as much meaning.

+1

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hanging with my friend last week. He was explaining how hard it was to raise bi-racial boys, because peer pressure was on them in their teens to fail at school. Some dumb ass heard part of what he was saying and called him a racist. We busted out laughing, cause it was HIS KIDS we were talking about.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
I guess you're racist until you prove otherwise.

You're just learning this now? Hell, I learned it in 1989.

I was working in the ER at Griffiss AFB one day when one of the Chiefs came down to the department to share a joke that he'd heard. The Chief in question was a black guy and the joke, while quite funny, had the word nigger in the punchline.

I don't remember exactly how it went, but I recall it being more of a dig on Jews than on blacks. But, nonetheless, I was retelling it at the bar across the street from the hospital after work that day while sitting at a table with a bunch of friends. As luck would have it, a young black airman (SP) walked by during the punchline and called the cops on me. I was arrested by the SPs for "Provoking speech and gestures", and essentially labeled a racist for the rest of my time there despite the fact that the Chief who had told the joke to me wrote a letter stating that the charges were ridiculous and he could personally vouch for the fact that I was not (we were drinking, fishing, and golfing buddies).

The JAG officer at Drum told me to just suck it up and drive on because there wasn't a chance in hell that I'd win at a court martial. I pled guilty, went from E4(P) to E2, gave up a month's pay, and got out of the Army as fast as I possibly could.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am the first person to bemoan PC this and that and the culture of offense. That being said without any point of reference I can see how that picture could offend. I can’t see being offended knowing the truth but before knowing the whole story, yeah I can see somebody getting pissed.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

The JAG officer at Drum told me to just suck it up and drive on because there wasn't a chance in hell that I'd win at a court martial. I pled guilty, went from E4(P) to E2, gave up a month's pay, and got out of the Army as fast as I possibly could.

Crap, man. What would they have done if you hadn't pled guilty??? Throw you into Leavenworth??? that's what I was talking about how berdahl's punishment is an injustice to all the other military punishments meted out, your ncluded.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Next time someone calls you a racist to your face?

Just knock them the fuck out.

No justification needed.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^Absolutely. The worst response one of these weak kneed crybabies can get when they accuse you of being racist is..."I don't care!". They simply lose their minds because they don't know where to go next if their attempt at shaming crashes and burns spectacularly. Use that phrase a few times during the exchange and watch their heads explode. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I am the first person to bemoan PC this and that and the culture of offense. That being said without any point of reference I can see how that picture could offend. I can’t see being offended knowing the truth but before knowing the whole story, yeah I can see somebody getting pissed.
Nope. I don't even care about the back story. A pic on a wall, regardless the content, is not going to raise my ire much beyond a "Well that's dumb" comment, or a shrug of the shoulders. The whole damn world need to grow the hell up and realize people will say or do things that might annoy/offend you. Its yours and my job to actively ignore them and focus on one of the thousands of gold rings out there.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
^^^Absolutely. The worst response one of these weak kneed crybabies can get when they accuse you of being racist is..."I don't care!". They simply lose their minds because they don't know where to go next if their attempt at shaming crashes and burns spectacularly. Use that phrase a few times during the exchange and watch their heads explode. Smile
I think maybe "So What?" would work, too. Or "OK--I admit it. What now?"

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Sir, are you a racist, have you ever been a racist, have you ever known or associated with racists, or have you ever seen a racist? I might remind you that answering NO to any of those questions will be considered false and thus confirmation of your racism. What say you sir?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Sir, are you a racist, have you ever been a racist, have you ever known or associated with racists, or have you ever seen a racist? I might remind you that answering NO to any of those questions will be considered false and thus confirmation of your racism. What say you sir?
Response - I'm good with it. What else ya got? Razz

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
People have generally discovered the power in offense and the rush of tyranny in outrage. Now they are looking for opportunities to be offended and outraged. It appears to be great fun to make others step and fetch.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I was called racist by the head of the local unemployment office in the southwest once.

About a 50/50 mix in town, he sent in candidates for a entry level position in my department.

Of the first four, I rejected all of them, one had a fourteen year gap in job history and addresses, when questioned where he had been, answer was "around." One came in hammer ass drunk, another had no relations with a bar of soap, shower or clean clothes for quite awhile.

Last guy came in with his uncle. He looked good until I handed him an application. He then handed it to his uncle. Uncle then asks me for a pen. When questioned the applicant said he could not read or write. Yea, that will go good in a parts department.

Suffice to say that almost all my co-workers were Hispanic. Business was also partially Hispanic owned. And I volunteered with a fire department that was majority Hispanic.

I told the accuser to send me someone that had verifiable background, knew how to shower, stayed sober until after work and could read and write and I would hire them.

End of call.......click.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I never understood why we have to apologize when someone is "offended" (and caused) by their own ignorance. Confused

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't been called racist yet, but recently I was called an asshole twice by leftist types. The interesting part to me is that I immediately agreed, restated and replied: "Haha, you bet I'm an asshole". They shockingly had no response to that and shut up.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a supervisor who was ordered to counsel/reprimand workers who were often late for work, called in sick minutes before shift began or abused the established sick leave policy.........I was called a Racist.

Only by black workers. I'm white.

The white workers I counseled corrected their tardiness problems and began to adhere to the States sick leave policy.

The black workers did not.

Because I was a racist.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, are you anti-Canadian?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post