Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GFI outlet Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted
A couple years ago I installed a GFI outlet over the bathroom sink and fed the light switch for the lights over the medicine cabinet with it. I have just noticed that the outlet is not working. The lights are. When I hit the test button the outlet trips and the lights go out. I reset and the the lights come on but nothing in either half of the receptacle. The only conclusion I can come up with is the outlet crapped out. Am I missing anything before I swap it out?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Your assessment is correct.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
GFI's do go bad.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, go bad they do. I had the same problem, replaced it and all is well.
Needs to go in the correct way so pay attention to the markings etc on the old one when you take it out.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is wired wrong.
It may be bad now, but the test should not make the lights go out, unless it is wired wrong.
Change out the GFCI but go online and see how to wire properly.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
It is wired wrong.
It may be bad now, but the test should not make the lights go out, unless it is wired wrong.
Change out the GFCI but go online and see how to wire properly.

It is not wired wrong. The GFI can protect lights and fan. This doesn't violate the code necessarily. In fact if the fan is above the shower/tub it's required to be GFI protected.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post