SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Law Enforcement in Illinois just got more difficult
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Law Enforcement in Illinois just got more difficult Login/Join 
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted
House bill 3653 is now law. The governor signed a piece of legislation that effectively forces police to be even more reactive and remain "fetal". New restrictions of the use of force, the elimination of the cash bail system, mandatory use of body cameras and anonymous complaints without a sworn affidavit are just some of the choice parts of the new law. The story is here and there is a link to the actual law inside the article. https://cwbchicago.com/2021/02...-to-end-in-2023.html

This law will force all police officers here in Illinois to reassess whether or not the job is now worth the risk in ways we never thought would happen. The lack of due process, unverified and unsubstantiated complaints will place an officer under investigation for just about anything, which will lead to termination, decertification, punitive damages and possible prison time. The meat and potatoes of this law is basically a gateway to more violence of innocent victims while emboldening an already violent criminal since now the support for them is more than the victim.

Chicago will be a battleground in the coming years. With violent repeat offenders getting released and not prosecuted in record numbers due to State's Attorney Kim Foxx and the combination of Sheriff Tom Dart emptying the jails, this will lead to a more crime in my opinion. Chicago car jackings, Homicides, violent robberies, burglaries and physical assault are on the rise. Heyjackass.com is about the only source of the true numbers of what is happening here. Last year was a pretty good year for violence, combine that with the covid lockdowns being eased this summer, lack of enforcement for criminals and now adding more restrictive rules for existing police officers, I'd say this summer should be one that Chicago will never forget. I will be 55 this year and will be eligible for retirement. The passing of this law will force me to pull the pin earlier than I had hoped to.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Time to escape Chicago.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cook County is experiencing high levels of car jackings, assaults and murders. The State's response is to pass this legislation.

Unbelievable.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“You arrive home and notice an unknown person sitting in your backyard,” one scenario reads. “You call the police…[who] confront the suspect and he refuses to leave.”

According to the association, “the individual cannot be arrested and no force can be used to make him leave, only a ticket can be issued” under the new law.
----------------------
Best to leave Illinois, it will get worse before it gets better.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Somewhat tongue in cheek: with all the reports of crime in Chicago, one wonders what laws are actually enforced.

When even common law is no longer enforced, why have LE?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
GTFO. Now.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Damn shame! Sorry to hear it, guys!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
anonymous complaints without a sworn affidavit

Well, Klusk2, if you can vote without identifying yourself why shouldn't you be able to jam up a cop anonymously? After all, the whole ID thing is racist. Mad

A precipitous decline in standards for applicants for police positions is just around the corner. Many people who were formerly afraid to be within a mile of a police station will soon be working in one.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
That sucks for Law Enforcement and the law abiding citizens in that shithole. I am so happy I live in the foothills of the White Mountains in NH where crime is not a big problem, and we can carry concealed with no issues whatsoever!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Seems to me if the negative consequence of violence and crime goes down, the rate of violence and crime will go up.

And the media, politicians, liberals will ignore-deny-reject the cause with the effect.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Time to escape Chicago.

Seems like it is WAY past the time to escape.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
In 6-12 months these rocket scientists will be scratching their heads as they won’t be able to keep a viable police force and Chicago will go full Mad Max.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The truth is that it's not only Police officers that need to get out of Ill., it's anyone.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Violent crime including murder is up significantly in Philadelphia ever since "let 'em loose Larry Krasner" was elected D.A. His entire legal career prior to being elected D.A. consisted almost exclusively of suing the police for misconduct. He had zero experience as a prosecutor. When he was elected, the cops knew they had a target on their backs. The Philadelphia cops have gone into passive mode. Traffic stops are way down. Cops have stop noticing street corner drug deals. They still answer calls of course and will make arrests. But as far as any aggressive policing (I use aggressive in the best sense of the word), that's gone in Philadelphia.

The point of my post is to point out the obvious - actions have consequences. And police, being human beings, want to do their jobs, but they also don't want to deal with a presumption of guilt that often happens these days, before all the facts are known. People act in their self interest, and (shock) that includes police officers. An increase in crime will be the inevitable result of these changes in Illinois.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Such a shame...
Chicago was once a great city.
It's also sad to see Chicago politics pull down the rest of a beautiful state.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Stupid me. I didn't really think it was possible for the politicians to make the job any harder -- but hell if I wasn't wrong on that one!

I really hate to hear this. Chicago has so many good people. Hard working, fun loving people who don't deserve what this law will bring

I'm having a hard time even wrapping my head around what these idiots hope to accomplish with this shit sandwich.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How can a prosecutor have a conflict of interest that's contrary to his job? Is it just me or does something not sound right? A prosecutor who doesn't want to prosecute? I don't get it.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I hope oprah doesn't move to az...

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
How can a prosecutor have a conflict of interest that's contrary to his job? Is it just me or does something not sound right? A prosecutor who doesn't want to prosecute? I don't get it.....

It's easy. They get serious financial backing from George Soros. He's spent millions getting people like Larry Krasner, Kim Foxx, Kim Gardner and many others across the country elected. When he first began funding candidates for local and county prosecutor positions, many people thought he was crazy. It's a brilliant strategy for destroying the criminal justice system from within.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

A prosecutor who does not want to prosecute is in the wrong line of work. His interests are more aligned with community activists and BLM. If the system was working correctly, voters would rectify the problem. If this is truly what the voters desire, then they get what they deserve. Soon headlines will sound the alarm that crime rates are soaring. Liberals will point to gun sales. It's very predictable.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post