SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Golf Cart Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golf Cart Issue Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted
I have an older Club Car gas cart that is the SWMBO's gardening buggy. She says she is getting an electrical shock periodically. This happens when she touches anything metal on the cart but only when it is running. I have put wire loom around the spark plug wire. The wires on the coil seem to be correct. What am I missing?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did a ground wire come loose?

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure but if it has I haven't found it yet. I guess I should look at some wiring diagrams to see where I might be missing one.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Does it operate anything else "electrically"?
Like lights, fans, radio etc?
If so then the short may be from this.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
It has lights but there shouldn't be getting a shock from 12 V. Almost certain it has to be related to the coil.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Any frayed wires showing anywhere?

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Could it be static electricity from synthetic clothes and the vinyl seat? Is it real dry where you live? (Ohio-probably not)

If you have a meter (or even a 12 volt bulb in a bulb holder) you could use it to see if there's an electric charge to the frame of the cart.

I would go buy a roll of vinyl pipe wrap tape from Deep Homo and wrap the metal she touches so it's insulated.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-i...Tape-53550/100179778

She'll think you're a genius.

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Get the cart running, connect one end of a voltmeter to the battery ground and start touching the metal parts with the other probe and look for voltage readings.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I would think that if the coil was grounding out to the frame the motor would die?

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Do you get a shock when you touch it?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Do you get a shock when you touch it?

Of course not. He's the one that set the boobytrap. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

Of course not. He's the one that set the boobytrap. Smile

No pun intended? Lol

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check for arcing coming of the coil or plug wire .
We have one that will do the same thing intermittently, gives you a hell of a zap...
Best to do at night or in a dark garage.

More & more SIG's and a bunch of Smith & Wesson revolvers

Posts: 654 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: April 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post