SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone use a Logitech - Harmony Smart Control ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use a Logitech - Harmony Smart Control ? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
We have had a couple Harmony 750 remotes over the years. Both were the 750 model. The last one has slowly gotten more lagged and it seems the signal is weaker.

I like the small screen on it, but rather than replace it with the same, I was considering the Logitech - Harmony Smart Control. It comes with a no screen remote, but it's primarily meant to be used with an iPad, iPhone, etc.

All that sounds perfect, but I was hoping some here had experience with this.

I need to control a tv,cable box, receiver, bluray and also have a PlayStation.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one and used it for a week. I had serious issues with the IR in bright sunlight

I went back to my old one also a harmony as it still worked better

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have the harmony. No issues

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I've had it for a few years and really enjoy its capabilities. I can switch between my Dish, Apple TV, PS3 and Fire TV with a touch of a button. My components are in an adjoining room and the signal passes through the wall every time.

It's a no brainer for me.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I use the old Harmony XBOX model, and like it so much that I have two more in backstock. The newer ones, to me, get overly complicated and more fancy than I need.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've had a 510 back in the day, and now two 650 models floating around. Love them, never had any issues.

Hadn't even heard of the smart control until now, but I'm not sure I understand the advantage? The form factor of my phone seems like it will be more limiting than a dedicated remote that runs all devices, and having to unlock each time, navigate back to the control panel, etc. seems like a huge PITA just to be more whizbangy.

YMMV

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not with the harmony, but I've done the smartphone as a remote control thing a little bit. It sucks. Capitol S-ucks. You're either wasting time unlocking it & re-opening the app, or you're killing the battery & the mood with the screen on.
Touchscreen isn't a good option for A/V, IMO - give me a dedicated remote with buttons that I can ID without looking.
That said, the harmony seems like it might be the best of both worlds - lots of function in the smartphone, ease of use with the 'dumb' remote.
My 650 has a bunch of buttons that never get used - Volume, channel, power UDLRselect + WatchTv/WatchMovie macro buttons are about all I need.
If the fireTV/stick remotes had power & volume, it would be the perfect remote IMO.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Harmony 650 user. Like programming flexibility. A little slow in working through a program.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I had an 880 for years that was great. I then got an Amazon FireTV that uses a Bluetooth remote so I uprgraded To the Harmony home control with hub. I do miss the screen from time to time but since you have the mobile device app it suffices.
One really needs the screen from time to time when something goes wrong with an input. You are also limited to 3 start scenarios.
If I were to do it again I would spend a little more and get the smart touch or ultimate. Though I think I can buy the smart touch for like $85 and just swap my program from the home to it.

Setup was much more difficult than my old 880. Partly due to the location of my components in the entertainment center, had to add an extra IR blaster and find good positions for them.

Then tweaking the delays was a bit difficult. Probably all in all took about 5 calls with customer service to get it working exactly as I wanted but they were great to deal with.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I've used a Harmony One for several years. Same hub system. Occasionally, I'll pull out my phone to do something. No complaints.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I have used a Harmony Smart Control remote for 4 or 5 years now and I love it.

I don't use the smart phone app at all because it is just not needed.

The remote to the base is RF then the base to your components is IR, so you can control your devises from different rooms, out of line of sight, etc.

You can define one button macros to simplify your system for users who may be technology challenged. For me, if you want to watch TV, you press the button with the screen on it and it turns on my receiver and TV and makes sure the receiver is on the right input (I feed all video sources through my receiver so the TV is always on input 1).

If I want to watch a bluray, I hit the movie button and it changes the input to my receiver and turns on my bluray player.

The remote is fully programmable to your liking and the battery lasts about a year and a half.

For me this is a no brainer!

JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I use a Harmony 650 and have for some time. It works flawlessly for my setup. Oh, but get some rechargeable batteries to go with it as it can be a bit unkind to your inventory of alkalines.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post