SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s Time to Rethink America’s Failing Highways
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s Time to Rethink America’s Failing Highways Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
....So we will soon need to shift from taxing per gallon to charging per mile...

I understand CA has one of the highest, maybe the highest combined gas and sales tax per gallon in the nation. And I understand CA is thinking of starting a per-mile tax in addition to the per gallon tax (so that Teslas will have to pay their share of the cost of highway maint.)

And as others have noted, not much of any additional gas/mile tax will actually be used for roads.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Toll roads, is one of the most foolish ideas known to man.

And really, the people here who advocate for such, either are complete fools, or have never driven on a toll road for more than an occasional drive...

My god... What complete moron would love to give the government complete control over a road, and pay them hand over fist each and every time they drive it.

Either a Commie, an idiot, or an agent of Commies/Idiots....

You want the real answer? mix an "honest" tax...

A small percentage of gas tax, a small percentage of tax for hauling vehicles, a small percentage of mileage for weight on 18 wheelers, and a small percentage of earning tax.

Easy... til no one bases their trucking in your area, and no one licenses their trucks in your areas, and the people realize that you silly commies don't actaully care about people....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post