SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Camera: Nikon D850
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Camera: Nikon D850 Login/Join 
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
That's nice.

I'm waiting for mirrorless to come down in price and will likely jump to that format. I'm still using a D90 I bought in 2011 which replaced a D50 I bought in 2006. Big Grin

If you want mirrorless and you want the biggest bang for your buck, check out the Fujifilm XT-3.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Good choice. I recently up'd from my D200 to a D500, DX format, not FX full frame. Happy with it. Stayed DX due to lens inventory.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flash Ninja
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I have a D4s, D810, D500, D750. I opted to update my computer this year instead of getting the 850. It's the main upgrade I'll take next year. I shoot professionally for the news paper and lead the photo teams at OCR/Marathon races. Plus a few weddings, senior, and family pics thrown in.

----
We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
If you want mirrorless and you want the biggest bang for your buck, check out the Fujifilm XT-3.

At $1,500 for the body alone, it looks like I'll be waiting many more years until I go mirrorless.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice. The D850 was very high on my list, to add to the D3 I use to shoot college sports with.
However, video is where the good money is, these days, in my area.
I just added a Sony A7iii last week, instead of going with the D850. It will join my Canon C100 for video gigs.
The Nikon and Sony (and the C100) are all stellar cameras.
Enjoy your D850!

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:

Congrats on the new body!

I was thinking about going with the new Nikon Z7, but the D850 is a proven workhorse.

I will consider going mirrorless when Nikon releases their second generation MILCs.

I kept telling myself to wait, rumor mill is the “pro” level Canon mirrorless will drop early next year. Then I went to the camera store and played with one and knew I wouldn’t be able to wait.

Also, since I have the 5D IV, I would be hard pressed to have both DSLR and ML top shelf bodies. I see the “R” as a nice addition/option but not totally replacing my 5D. Since they are very similar in features i think they will coompliment each other well.

I have the Canon M5 mirrorless APS-C camera and love what ML can do, but they really didn’t come out with native fast glass for it so it sees little use because I always feel I am having to compromise on the lens or if I use my EF lenses, they throw the balance of the small camera all off.

The “R” is noticeably larger, but still compact and has a great feel to it. Canon has made it clear it will be supported with quality lenses. 28-70mm f2L is supposed to be flat amazing, the 24-105mm f4L is reportedly sharper than the current 24-70mm f2.8L which is no slouch.

My M5 kit is up for sale as I imagine it will see NO use from this point on. Even though I will eat $$$ over selling it it is just taking up space now and better to get what I can out of it and let someone use it.

Got a deal on the “R” with the new 24-105mm f4L RF lens and EF to RF adapter for a few bills under the going price so decided to go ahead and jump on it. Over the past few years, doing real estate photography has allowed me to get some good glass that will last for years as well as being able to “justify” (ie- pay for) higher end bodies.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two more quick test shots from today:

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the D800 for a few years. The old 28-70 f/2.8 is the most used lens I own. I was really happy with it, but being a sports shooter, the focus speed left a little to be desired after years of using pro bodies. I’ve covered all high school sports and some Oregon Duck football. We had a football camp for years, and the only 2 times I’ve ever been injured was when I wasn’t paying attention. Once on the basketball court and once on the football sidelines. My beloved D800 and 28-70 took a direct hit on the football sidelines flattening me and knocking me senseless for a few seconds. First thing I remember doing was reaching for my camera and someone was surprised that I was more concerned with my camera than me. I was never able to figure out how that happened. Both camera body and lens continue to work, but I think that collision messed up the focus on one of them.

Bodies are like computers. They quickly become outdated and worthless.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post