SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Camera: Nikon D850
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Camera: Nikon D850 Login/Join 
posted
I've been doing more photography for my son's school and basketball league, so I decided to treat myself to a new toy.

My fourth Nikon body:

Here is a quick test shot of a rose in my garden:

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I’m a Canon shooter, but that is a beast of a camera.

My new EOS R full frame mirrorless should be arriving tomorrow, making it my fourth as well.

Nothing like a new toy!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Wicked cool. Have fun with it.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am out of touch with current models. Is that a full size sensor camera?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Nice!

I’m a Canon shooter, but that is a beast of a camera.

My new EOS R full frame mirrorless should be arriving tomorrow, making it my fourth as well.

Nothing like a new toy!

Congrats on the new body!

I was thinking about going with the new Nikon Z7, but the D850 is a proven workhorse.

I will consider going mirrorless when Nikon releases their second generation MILCs.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I have a D800 and it is, so I'm sure the 850 is. I bought it for my wife for mothers day a few years ago. I think she's taken all of a hundred pics. Roll Eyes Should have bought a watch!

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes it is. The D850 has a 45.7 MP full-frame sensor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:

I have a D800 and it is, so I'm sure the 850 is. I bought it for my wife for mothers day a few years ago. I think she's taken all of a hundred pics. Roll Eyes Should have bought a watch!

I also have a D800. Still a solid camera.

posted Hide Post
It's a very impressive camera. I've got its predecessor, the D810, and I've been extremely satisfied with that. I suspect you'll be at least that satisfied with the 850.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Super cool. Because of a my new position at work, I had to take several advanced photography classes. Unfortunately, my employer doesn't provide advanced equipment to match the training. I currently have a D90, which is a workhorse, but outdated. Supposedly, we will be getting D7500s in the next few years. I had the opportunity to use a D850 in some of my training and it's low light capabilities paired with the right lens was amazing.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take it that’s not a kit lens on it. Smile

What lens is it?

Nice camera by the way!

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Very nice camera! Way to treat yourself right. I think your sons league is gonna have some pretty cool pics!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
UberNice.

My D7200 finally made it back from Nikon repair after a little more than a month. As much as I hate that kind of repair time, I love Nikons. I am seriously considering a FX for my next camera.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
I take it that’s not a kit lens on it. Smile

What lens is it?

Nice camera by the way!

Thanks!

That is my most frequently used lens.

It is a AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED.

I'm trying to talk myself out of upgrading to a AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pwelch001:
Very nice camera! Way to treat yourself right. I think your sons league is gonna have some pretty cool pics!

Thank you.

I shoot my son's basketball games with a Nikon D500 and a Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art lens.

The league loves the images I send them. My's son's photo was on the cover of the league's annual yearbook last season.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
UberNice.

My D7200 finally made it back from Nikon repair after a little more than a month. As much as I hate that kind of repair time, I love Nikons. I am seriously considering a FX for my next camera.

The D750 is on sale for $1,400 with a battery grip thrown in: LINK

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I have a D750 and a D500 but I lust for that D850. At this point my money is better spent on lenses.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got an awesome camera, congrats.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
That D850 is THE top of the heap right now, and that lens is no slouch. It is WAY too nice for me, and it will be known as a great camera for years to come even when mirrorless become dominant.

I recently jumped ship from Nikon and am now sailing with Sony(Alpha a7RII). Other than that, I went mirrorless, and I probably won't ever go back to a prism/optical viewfinder camera again.

Personally, the Sony fits me due to its way smaller size and lesser weight. (I have a pinched nerve in my neck, which causes great pain while holding anything up in front of me.).

The Sony Alpha a7RIII is the top of the mirrorless heap, and I hope to see Canon's EOS R mirrorless and Nikon's Z System mirrorless push Sony to release even better cameras and lenses in the future.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
That's nice.

I'm waiting for mirrorless to come down in price and will likely jump to that format. I'm still using a D90 I bought in 2011 which replaced a D50 I bought in 2006. Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post