SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bolted the safe to a floor question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolted the safe to a floor question. Login/Join 
posted
So I bought some hammer bolts and drilled into the floor. BoltS were 3 in. I used a drill bit 6 inches long and would test fit the inner part of the bolt. Every single time the bit popped through with no resistance at the end.

Is this bad?

Posts: 1744 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Can ya move the safe?

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank will know. He will be along shortly to answer your question.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
My take. This is a good thing. You have penetrated to the dirt below concrete. When you someday remove the safe, instead of having to cut things off you can just hammer them down.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better caulk if you hit dirt.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I almost always drill completely through the concrete (for several reasons), and have never had a water issue.

I use self tapping anchors the majority of the time, which reduces and/or eliminates a lot of issues you see with the other types.

Are you only concerned about the holes, or are you saying your anchor is going through without grabbing?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was concerned about water issues. I did not caulk. The bolts did bite and the safe is secured to the floor. New house. No water table issues that I knoW of. Have a sump pump that never runs. Thoughts.

posted Hide Post
Your slab is probably only 4 inches thick. I did the same thing and never noticed any issues.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was concerned about water issues. I did not caulk. The bolts did bite and the safe is secured to the floor. New house. No water table issues that I knoW of. Have a sump pump that never runs. Thoughts.

The odds of you having problems are very unlikely. Do you notice water bubbling through your floor in other areas? If not, you shouldn't be getting water through the bolt holes.

In commercial construction a 4" floor is 4" just about anywhere you drill. In residential construction I find that I can have 2" on one corner of a safe, and 6" on another.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Why do you prefer to drill through the floor?

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
When using a wedge type of anchor, it allows you to knock the anchor down flush with the floor as opposed to cutting it. When using an anchor that taps itself, you don't have to worry about debris clogging the hole.

Combine that with the fact that residential concrete tends to be uneven in thickness, and odds are good you're going to punch through anyway. If this were a structural application, or there were other engineering concerns (like stressed slabs) then holes that stop at certain depths are important. Won't make any difference with a safe on a typical slab in your home.

www.zykansafe.com

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why can you put some caulk, silicone, whatever in the hole with the anchor either before or after the anchor?

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why can you put some caulk, silicone, whatever in the hole with the anchor either before or after the anchor?

You could, although any of the anchors are going to fill the hole up fairly well.

If you have enough hydraulic pressure that water comes up through the bolt holes, it's also going to be coming up through any crack or seam.

www.zykansafe.com