SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYC Digital Newsrooms Celebrate Unionizing, Billionaire Investor Fires Them All
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYC Digital Newsrooms Celebrate Unionizing, Billionaire Investor Fires Them All Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I don't think you'll find anyone more anti-union then me so I think this is great Big Grin

The New York City-based digital publications DNAinfo and Gothamist are shutting down for good, just a week after the combined newsrooms celebrated successfully unionizing.

TD Ameritrade’s billionaire founder Joe Ricketts announced Thursday at 5 p.m. that he was shutting down the two online local news outlets, The New York Times reports.

“Today, I’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue publishing DNAinfo and Gothamist,” Ricketts said in a final post on the outlets’ websites. “Reaching this decision wasn’t easy, and it wasn’t one I made lightly.”

The publications’ unionization factored into the decision.

“The decision by the editorial team to unionize is simply another competitive obstacle making it harder for the business to be financially successful,” a DNAinfo spokesperson told TheNYT in a statement.

Ricketts congratulated the news teams for reporting “tens of thousands of stories that have informed, impacted, and inspired millions of people.”

However, the outlets are businesses that need profits to stay in operation.

“While we made important progress toward building DNAinfo into a successful business, in the end, that progress hasn’t been sufficient to support the tremendous effort and expense needed to produce the type of journalism on which the company was founded,” Ricketts said.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/11...em-all-a-week-later/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep, all the high five's and back slapping is all gone. Most probably have no idea what just happened. Maybe someone can explain it to them. Although that will most likely be someone telling them they are a victim. Yea for the good guys. Too bad for the idiots.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good, too bad GM, Ford, and Chrysler missed their opportunities to dump the unions that hamstring their operations.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
This turned out exactly like winning an argument with your wife.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Ha, ha

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Exactly. Perfect analogy! Pyrrhic victory.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sa-weet

Smile

right answer

I hope their union has lots of money to cover their unemployment Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Years ago, and on a smaller scale, I knew a gentleman who owned a national limousine franchise. Probably ran 30 or so cars.

Some of his employees were hot and heavy to unionize and he knew what progress they were making as they made it. One evening the employees vote on it and it's official. The next morning a few of the employees along with the union guys stroll into his office to give him the good news.

He had sold the business to another company that morning, and told them to gather their personal things before they left. Seems the other company only needed the cars, phone numbers, franchise, etc. They already had their own employees.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's hilarious. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hehe

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe that's known as a Pyrrhic victory...

Edit...day late and a dollar short again. Sigh.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post