SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Movie of people hunting deplorables - but it's satire so that's ok
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie of people hunting deplorables - but it's satire so that's ok Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

They don't always make the right bet, but profit is the goal.

I guess it comes down to how profit is defined. Box office bombs allow for write-offs and "creative" bookkkeeping. Then there's grooming future investors with woke productions. Long game/short game.

I'm not going to waste my time looking up examples but Hollywood trotted out a slew of hopeless losers post-9/11, portraying our military response as the real villain. None of these movies ever stood a chance of returning a straightforward profit.

Loosen the tinfoil hat. These are public companies answerable to stockholders. Sony and Time/Warner (for example) are not in the social engineering business, except as it intersects with making a profit. The stockholders would throw a fit.

No one deliberately looses money to get a write off. There are plenty of better ways to use the tax code than deliberately losing money. They don't deliberately lose money by making political films to curry favor with "investors" or anyone else.

I am not saying that Hollywood doesn't have a political bias. It does. But the big studios and distribution outfits are for-profit entities, first and foremost.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I think it is pure gold, liberals loving it up with firearms.

Then again though, Chairman Mao claimed in his "little red book" that "power grows from the barrel of a gun". Eek

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the big studios and distribution outfits are for-profit entities, first and foremost.

You didn't acknowledge the fluid definition of "profit". There are such things as loss leaders and short term loss for long term gain. You can't deny there are tons of movies made where a big cash return isn't anywhere near being guaranteed. It's possible a bunch of like-minded people sit around a table and all agree to go ahead with a project that the market won't support. Whether it's life in the bubble or insidious propaganda doesn't matter, bad choices are made where "profit" takes a back seat to reason.

**edit**
Let me add another thought that actually could support what you've said -- the international market. That can equal or surpass the domestic market. If people here are offended by Hollywood's insulting polemics, who cares when the rest of the world eats it up. This particular film wouldn't seem to have the appeal internationally that one of those post-9/11 anti-American films but who knows, killing Americans might sell anywhere.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

They don't always make the right bet, but profit is the goal.

I guess it comes down to how profit is defined. Box office bombs allow for write-offs and "creative" bookkkeeping. Then there's grooming future investors with woke productions. Long game/short game.

I'm not going to waste my time looking up examples but Hollywood trotted out a slew of hopeless losers post-9/11, portraying our military response as the real villain. None of these movies ever stood a chance of returning a straightforward profit.

Loosen the tinfoil hat. These are public companies answerable to stockholders. Sony and Time/Warner (for example) are not in the social engineering business, except as it intersects with making a profit. The stockholders would throw a fit.

No one deliberately looses money to get a write off. There are plenty of better ways to use the tax code than deliberately losing money. They don't deliberately lose money by making political films to curry favor with "investors" or anyone else.

I am not saying that Hollywood doesn't have a political bias. It does. But the big studios and distribution outfits are for-profit entities, first and foremost.

Oh? Hows proctor and gamble doing after their epic SJW fail. 8 billion in losses to curry favor. Its amazing how many companies managements forgot that a businesss's purpose is to make money.

Female Thor? Black female Bond? The list goes on and on and on. Any wonder why movie business is tanking except for a few "franchises"

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know you play the whole contradictory role on the forum, but you are naive. Media is used to shape social norms, always has, always will. Otherwise lots of journalists would be out of a job right now. Gays and trannys wouldn’t be constantly in media/advertising. Nor would every group of sitcom friends be a perfect rainbow. And of course there is the Gillette example.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
In these types of films, don't (at least some) of the "victims" survive to win?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:

That's what I was wondering. In these films, the victims are the protagonists. The standard formula is for one or two to survive and turn the tables on their attackers. So is this a pro-con film?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16343 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the Seattle area we have the Puget Sound John Brown Gun Club (PSJBGC). According to our local paper, ‘their stated aim is to fight white supremacy and build community defense in America’s Pacific north-west, and their presence has become a fixture of protests in the Seattle and Tacoma areas, where the group is often invited to provide security against rightwing aggression.

Unlike some of the other masked antifascist groups at the march that day, the Puget Sound John Brown Gun Club consider themselves to be an “aboveground” organization, and choose not to cover their faces.

“Part of the reason we don’t cover our faces is that we don’t want to present as though we are a militia,” Fozz, a longtime member, explained. “We are not. We want to build relationships with people in our community, we want to appear approachable.”

While the group has not used deadly force, a former member of the group, Willem Van Spronsen, recently made headlines when he was killed by police after trying to set fire to Ice vehicles in a parking lot outside the Northwest Detention Center In Tacoma, Washington, a private immigration detainment facility.’

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:

That's what I was wondering. In these films, the victims are the protagonists. The standard formula is for one or two to survive and turn the tables on their attackers. So is this a pro-con film?

Yes, they are setting up the protagonists to be the rednecks hunted by the vile elites.

When Hollywood really wants to vilify conservatives they make it a vast right-wing conspiracy with some Repub Senator conspiring with right-wing extremists to overthrow the government or whatever.

So, I don't know if this movie is slanted R or L...I just know it's trash but I wanna see more of the main character...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
...I just know it's trash but I wanna see more of the main character...

She's in GLOW on Netflix (which was a fun watch).

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
In the Seattle area we have the Puget Sound John Brown Gun Club (PSJBGC). According to our local paper, ‘their stated aim is to fight white supremacy and build community defense in America’s Pacific north-west, and their presence has become a fixture of protests in the Seattle and Tacoma areas, where the group is often invited to provide security against rightwing aggression.

While the group has not used deadly force, a former member of the group, Willem Van Spronsen, recently made headlines when he was killed by police after trying to set fire to Ice vehicles in a parking lot outside the Northwest Detention Center In Tacoma, Washington, a private immigration detainment facility.’

Shit gets real.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
“Elites” hunting “Deplorables?”

How much clearer can we be be?

And for those arguing that Hollywood is all about money, yes in the past. But now....

Look at how the SJW crew has ruined Star Wars and apparently the Marvel stuff.

They have jumped the shark and are now only interested in promoting the SJW agenda.

The fact that this movie has made it to the point where they are only pulling ads is telling.

This movie is done and ready for release. The
Lefties in Hollywood think it is good fun. The fact that “deplorables” are killed with guns is the only reason that they are nervous.

Guns in the “Elites” hands is good.

Guns in anyone else’s hands is evil and tyranny!!!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Some animals are more equal than others.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It was on the local news here last night and they just couldn't seem to figure out whether the movie was about Democrats slaughtering Republicans for sport, or if it really was about the current political struggle facing Republicans in what could be a symbolic play on that struggle.

Personally I thought the 'Hunter' shooting an arrow throw the throat of another citizen simply due to a difference in ideology as pretty clear.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I watched the trailer and it seemed that the elites are cast quite accurately as pompous and arrogant. I get the sense that it doesn't end well for them and that they underestimate the dumb deplorables.

It almost seemed like a mashup of "The Most Dangerous Game", "The Hunger Games" and that predator movie where a bunch of elite soldiers and one serial killer wake up on a remote planet to find they're being hunted by predators.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
But the big studios and distribution outfits are for-profit entities, first and foremost.

You didn't acknowledge the fluid definition of "profit". There are such things as loss leaders and short term loss for long term gain. You can't deny there are tons of movies made where a big cash return isn't anywhere near being guaranteed. It's possible a bunch of like-minded people sit around a table and all agree to go ahead with a project that the market won't support.

There's actually a filmmaker who specialized in that - Uwe Boll.

He purposely made crappy films to take advantage of incentives offered by various locations to film there, and more importantly so that he and his wealthy investors can use these films as a writeoff when they don't turn a profit, thanks to tax breaks offered by the German government to the film industry.

They were never designed to succeed. Their whole purpose is to fail to turn a profit, as part of a tax loophole scheme.

You can get a more detailed explanation in articles like these:
https://www.cinemablend.com/fe...ney-Nothing-209.html

https://www.forbes.com/global/...16.html#6ca22c797d1c

https://v1.escapistmagazine.co...-the-German-Tax-Code

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
President Trump:

Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves “Elite,” but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite. The movie coming out is made in order....

....to inflame and cause chaos. They create their own violence, and then try to blame others. They are the true Racists, and are very bad for our Country!

Posts: 19570 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I just finished a Jack Reacher book with the same theme. Detained couple held so that select, wealthy people could come hunt them.

I know, I was bored and it was there.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
But what about my "COEXIST" bumper sticker???

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

..Their whole purpose is to fail to turn a profit, as part of a tax loophole scheme.

Hmmm...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDpQIveqsU

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post