SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Movie of people hunting deplorables - but it's satire so that's ok
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie of people hunting deplorables - but it's satire so that's ok Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Just read this article about them pulling the ads but going forward with the movie.

In the wake of a trio of deadly massacres, the studio is evaluating its strategy for the R-rated Blumhouse satire in which elites stalk "deplorables."
"Did anyone see what our ratfucker-in-chief just did?" one character asks early in the screenplay for The Hunt, a Universal Pictures thriller set to open Sept. 27. Another responds: "At least The Hunt's coming up. Nothing better than going out to the Manor and slaughtering a dozen deplorables."

In the aftermath of mass shootings within days of one another that shocked and traumatized the nation, Universal is re-evaluating its strategy for the certain-to-be-controversial satire. The violent, R-rated film from producer Jason Blum's Blumhouse follows a dozen MAGA types who wake up in a clearing and realize they are being stalked for sport by elite liberals.

Over the Aug. 3 weekend, ESPN pulled an ad for the film that it had previously cleared, while AMC ran the spot during the season premiere of its drama The Preacher. It's unclear whether the ads were identical, but the one yanked by ESPN opened with a sound resembling an emergency broadcast signal. A rep for ESPN parent Disney declined to comment on the move, but an ESPN source says no spots for the film will appear on the network in the coming weeks.

The Hunt stars Betty Gilpin from GLOW and Hilary Swank, representing opposite sides of the political divide. It features guns blazing along with other ultra-violent killings as the elites pick off their prey. The script from Damon Lindelof and Nick Cuse reviewed by The Hollywood Reporter revolves around third-rail political themes. (Original title: Red State Vs. Blue State.)

A studio source says that even before the recent attacks, which left 34 dead in El Paso, Texas; Dayton, Ohio; and Gilroy, California, some reshoots were done based on a recent rough cut. Universal and Blumhouse declined to comment.

While one high-level Universal source says the studio has pulled some ads that are beginning to air and appear online "for content and placement," others say the matter is still under discussion internally. A major ad blitz on television and the web had been planned for the beginning of September, says one insider. A trailer is already online.

Given the fraught political climate — particularly in the wake of the attack in El Paso, which was motivated by anti-immigrant bigotry — studio sources say Universal is evaluating its plans in what one called "a fluid situation." A high-level insider says top executives want to stand by Blum, one of the studio's most prolific and successful producers, as well as filmmaker Craig Zobel, and see the project as a satire addressing an issue of great social importance. But this person says plans could change "if people think we're being exploitative rather than opinionated."

From a business perspective, The Hunt presents a gamble for Universal in these divided times. The satire Assassination Nation, which also pitted the woke versus the unwoke in uber-violent fashion, represented the top sale at Sundance 2018 at $10 million. But the film fizzled upon its release later that year, earning just $2 million with no international rollout. Says one person involved with that film, "We thought people would get the joke."

The Hunt made some executives at Universal skittish back in May 2018, when film chief Donna Langley acquired the script and fast-tracked it at a modest $18 million budget. It is unclear whether there were any other bidders on the property, the sale of which was brokered by CAA, but insiders at several studios told THR at the time that they did not pursue it because of the explosive premise. One executive says he didn't even read the script, noting, "The idea seemed crazy."

This is not the first time a studio has been faced with real-life events that rendered a film release more complicated. Following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, for example, Warner Bros. moved back the Arnold Schwarzenegger starrer Collateral Damage and abandoned a trailer that featured a bomb attack in the U.S. The 2017 Death Wish remake was delayed several months in response to a mass shooting in Las Vegas. And Oliver Stone's 1994 satire Natural Born Killers was criticized for inspiring copycat killings.

Certainly, satire can be a dicey genre for studios to pull off. Just ask Sony, which became the target of a 2014 hack blamed on the North Koreans over the Seth Rogen comedy The Interview.

The script for The Hunt features the red-state characters wearing trucker hats and cowboy shirts, with one bragging about owning seven guns because it's his constitutional right. The blue-state characters — some equally adept with firearms — explain that they picked their targets because they expressed anti-choice positions or used the N-word on Twitter. "War is war," says one character after shoving a stiletto heel through the eye of a denim-clad hillbilly.

"Employees in different departments were questioning the wisdom of making such a movie in these times," says one filmmaker with ties to Universal. "In light of the horrific [recent shootings], is this not the most craven, irresponsible, dangerous exploitation?"

That point is countered by a Universal executive, who says the movie "is meant to show what a stupid, crazy world we live in," adding, "It might even be more powerful now."

https://www.hollywoodreporter....ss-shootings-1229829

WTF over.....I am sure if someone made a movie about hunting snowflakes or Antifa it would be ok?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Hope they play it prime time on every major network. This will only show the fence-sitters how truly deranged the left has become.

Oh, and to those that want to hunt us (you know, the country's gun owners; many with LEO/Military experience):

Bring.

It.

On.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I recall reading a short story called The Most Dangerous Game back when I was a kid.

This sounds like a "Woke" version of that.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
The violent, R-rated film from producer Jason Blum's Blumhouse follows a dozen MAGA types who wake up in a clearing and realize they are being stalked for sport by elite liberals.

I can only guess what was going through the studio execs minds when they gave a movie with this premise a green light. Roll Eyes

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

I can only guess what was going through the studio execs minds when they gave a movie with this premise a green light. Roll Eyes

Hatred.

Intollerance.

Pathological desire to attack anybody who *dares* to think differently than them.

They are truly suffering from mental illness, but they blame US when psychos like themselves go on murder sprees.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Torture port for "Progressives."

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading through all that I can't figure out if releasing the movie would be a good or a bad thing in the long run (or just not matter, like everything else Hollywood does).

It is patently absurd and as satire the producers know that as well. It is a warning about where things could be headed though. I don't engage on Facebook but recent posts by liberal in-law blamed the El Paso shooting on Trump's "white supremacy" and said that 2020 is truly "good vs. evil."

Once you are a white supremacist and evil, what level of "resistance" is morally acceptable in opposition of that? Is there a limit on what you would do to "save" the nation from such evil?

Quite the straw-man the left has built to stand in for us...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This is some pretty sick, demented shit. This is seriously a full production movie? Unreal.

quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
...recent posts by liberal in-law ... said that 2020 is truly "good vs. evil."

Well, she's not wrong about that...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that some of these people are acting with full, malicious knowledge of what they are doing. But most are just being carried along on a tide of increasing hate and violence with no real idea of where this all goes. How many have seen civil war? Not in movies, or books, but on the ground with it all around? They have no idea what they are fucking with, no idea.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the should go ahead and show it - everywhere

it will give us some insight into the tactics that the libtards think will be useful Big Grin when they come for us

but I say, bring it on

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16318 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
"but I say, bring it on"

They haven't yet faced any return violence. I forget who said this-- maybe Joe Rogan:

"I thought I wanted to be a boxer. Then I got in the ring with a guy who really wanted to be a boxer."

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I see in the credits from the producer of "Get Out" and "The Purge", some toxic racial/class pot-stirring right there. Seems to be a theme.

"They're not people **dismissive laughter**"

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
ICE-T did it better. Sigh.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Hatred.

Intollerance.

Pathological desire to attack anybody who *dares* to think differently than them.

They are truly suffering from mental illness, but they blame US when psychos like themselves go on murder sprees.

Nope, it is the desire to sell lots of tickets and make lots of money.

I know it is tempting to ascribe political motives to Univeral (or whoever), but that isn't it. A studio will not fund anything it can't profit from.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Oh, and to those that want to hunt us (you know, the country's gun owners; many with LEO/Military experience):...
Might I point out there may be a population of current/former LEO's and Military that are Leftists and Demotards just like the rest of the non-firearm dolts. So a confrontation might not be, at some level, as easy as "we" think.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I wonder when this was green lighted?

I'm leaning towards right before November 2016...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
A studio will not fund anything it can't profit from.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Ghostbusters is the mic drop.

Of course there is political motivations for many exec decisions made today. Just look at Gillette.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, this has been done before. "Bushwick" comes to mind. I don't think we will ever have peace again between the two parties. The divides are long and deep. Our republic is dissipating before our eyes.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post