SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need exx1976's pizza dough recipe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need exx1976's pizza dough recipe Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I too buy 00 flour from amazon. Other flours burned badly when using the kamado grill to cook - but the 00 flour can handle the super high heat - I've even tried 700 degrees, but it became too dry and the toppings were not as good, and it broke a couple stones.

Now, I'm cooking at about 600 degrees, indirect (thick stone above the fire), with the pizza stone up raised up in the dome. Cooks in about 5-7 minutes, depending on thickness and toppings. Bought a Fibrament-D stone, which seems to be able to tolerate these temps well without cracking.

How are you guys getting these nice round pizzas? My stretching skills are so terrible that I have resorted to rolling them, still not round though.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I too buy 00 flour from amazon. Other flours burned badly when using the kamado grill to cook - but the 00 flour can handle the super high heat - I've even tried 700 degrees, but it became too dry and the toppings were not as good, and it broke a couple stones.

Now, I'm cooking at about 600 degrees, indirect (thick stone above the fire), with the pizza stone up raised up in the dome. Cooks in about 5-7 minutes, depending on thickness and toppings. Bought a Fibrament-D stone, which seems to be able to tolerate these temps well without cracking.

How are you guys getting these nice round pizzas? My stretching skills are so terrible that I have resorted to rolling them, still not round though.

To do it properly, throw the pizza up in the air, just like they do at the pizza shop. Start by flouring the dough ball and pressing it out round with the heel of your palm. Once you get it to a relatively uniform disc shape, pick it up and start throwing it up in the air and spinning it. When I first start, I throw it like a frizbee, one hand, straight up. As it grows and I can fit two hands under it, then I spin it in the more traditional sense like you'd see in a pizza joint.

It takes quite a bit of practice. I can't even begin to count the number of calzones I've made due to torn pizza crusts.

As I said, it's extremely important that the dough come back to room temp before you attempt this. Cold gluten does not like to stretch.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the dough not being room temp would be a problem with my previous attempts. Thanks!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Press the dough down with your fingers/palm. Keep turning it, until its about 8" round and then start throwing/spinning it up in the air.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
I have been desperately trying to match Pepe's for my New England wife. After 4 years, this is my reference:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...7746050/ref=as_li_tl

Pizza is complicated, but the results are are worth it... even if the crust takes two days

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I can't even begin to count the number of calzones I've made due to torn pizza crusts.

When I lived in NJ, there was a guy from Naples who made the best panzarotti known to man. From what I could see, he used pizza dough. Calzones are OK, but panzarotti are better. My Dad and I have joked about bringing him to Utah to teach people how to make a real pizza.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
There is a show on the leftist, commie Vice Network called "the Pizza Show".
It is a simple show where a NY guy goes to all the OG Pizza places and talks to the owners and about their pizza.
He went once to Chicago too.
I love pizza so I watch as it is interesting but it makes me cringe watching him fold the Pizza to eat. Eek

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Bumping because I am going to try this next weekend and don't want it to lock before I can post a pic...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Ok so who has been successful over the last week or so? I've got my dough sitting right now, will be eating tomorrow.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
It is a simple show where a NY guy goes to all the OG Pizza places and talks to the owners and about their pizza.
I love pizza so I watch as it is interesting but it makes me cringe watching him fold the Pizza to eat. Eek

Doesn't everybody fold pizza to eat? How else do you keep the point from drooping?

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Doesn't everybody fold pizza to eat? How else do you keep the point from drooping?

No, that's a NY/Brooklyn style pizza thing. It's not necessary in most of the country. Many parts of the country make pizza on almost a cracker crust, and cut it in small squares. Then there's Chicago, which requires a knife and fork to eat. My pizza is Buffalo style, which has a much sturdier crust than NY/Brooklyn pizza.

Generally speaking, my crusts are crisp enough on the bottom, and my pizzas are not large enough, for that to be a concern.

When I get a GOOD batch of dough, the crust is roughly akin to somewhere between a french baguette and italian bread. Definitely leaning more towards the baguette side. It easily stands up on it's own.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Made the pizzas yesterday, overall they were received well by my nephews and me. Learned some tips for next time in regards to how much to spread them and bakin time.

One question though, to me the dough tasted more bread like than pizza dough. It was good, but it just seemed to be missing something. My mum suggested more salt. Any ideas?

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'll have to try this one.

I don't like Chicago style at all, enjoy the occasional NY/Brooklyn style, but primarily want a typical American style crust or a thin crust. I had one in Louisiana that used Dark Wheat for the regular style crust and it was incredible.

I use Alton Brown's recipe from one of his Good Eats episodes. Seems pretty similar to EXX's at a glance.

In that episode he makes the point that the chewiness is from the gluten, which was interesting to learn, and I had to experiment a few times to get that part right.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post