SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Diet question, particularly eggs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diet question, particularly eggs Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
My cholesterol is and always has been at a healthy level. I think it's probably because I've never eaten an egg (except in recipes where you can't taste or smell the grossness). They're disgusting and smell awful and the texture is gag inducing. I got some advice that it would improve my health by adding eggs to my diet (the cholesterol seems to be as necessary as the protein). I'm willing to try but just can't bring myself to jam one down my craw.

Any advice on getting these important nutrients in my body without immediately puking? I honestly don't think I'll be able to do it.

Note: there's no point in telling me that you love eggs or that you can't believe I've never eaten one, so let's don't start.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of other alternative sources to healthy cholesterol. Certain oils -- I think quality olive oils and grapeseed oil has been a favorite of mine for a while on salads (thanks Jallen). Fish is a good source. Nuts too.

Check and verify which are the best sources, but definitely eggs aren't the only option. I'm not a huge fan of eggs either.

http://www.healthline.com/heal...ds-to-increase-hdl#6

I do think there's a strong component of genetics involved in cholesterol. I know some pretty fit people who eat pretty admirably and have elevated levels.

Posts: 11384 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you list what nutrients eggs provide that your diet is missing, maybe someone can recommend an alternative. Clearly, you're not going to eat an egg.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a VERY strong component of genetics involved in cholesterol. One proof of this is that town in Italy where the descendants of one man have what was termed by the medical team investigating the remarkably low rate of heart disease in this town termed as "Super HDL Cholesterol". In spite of notably low HDL levels as measured these people not only had zero buildups of plaques in the arteries.

More proof is more anecdotal but talk to any heart doctor and he will tell you that diet has a lot less effects on cholesterol than genetics. Note, Exercise is one thing that has been proven many times to actually provide a beneficial effect, so to a certain extent exercise can act to delay or reduce the onset or effect of heart disease. Just be aware that Genetics will still trump even exercise as discovered by Jim Fix and my older brother. The lesson here is REPORT EVERY POTENTIAL HEART SYMPTOM TO YOUR DOCTOR, even if its something as mild as feeling a bit fatigued or seeing an increase in your normal heart rate.

As for those with Egg issues, I just don't understand that one bit at all, a favorite snack for me is one egg sunny side up on top of a slice of buttered toast.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try egg whites. Most of the nutrition minus most of the taste (from yolks). Sold in cartons at grocery store. Add shredded cheese if you want a different flavor.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The point of mentioning my low cholesterol was to state that I'm not afraid of raising my level by eating eggs.

I've lost a lot of stamina and strength over the last 4 years. I'm thinking my testosterone levels have dropped and the cholesterol and protein in eggs is supposed to help.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Archie Teuthis:
Try egg whites. Most of the nutrition minus most of the taste (from yolks). Sold in cartons at grocery store. Add shredded cheese if you want a different flavor.
It's the yoke that has the suggested nutrients though.

posted Hide Post
Throw them in a smoothie or eggnog, if you must eat eggs. I often throw one or two in my yogurt/blueberry smoothie with some protein powder and coconut oil.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicken breast and avocado. Not quite the same, but it's getting close.

And if you really hate eggs, don't eat them. There's always a work around.

If you're really determined to eat them, have you tried eggs in soup? Might be enough to reduce the 'slimy' factor.

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Throw them in a smoothie or eggnog, if you must eat eggs. I often throw one or two in my yogurt/blueberry smoothie with some protein powder and coconut oil.
Just raw? I imagine there wouldn't be that cooked egg sulphur taste that way.

Blueberries is another healthy food I can't do. The smell of them just grosses me straight out.

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
You can often find pasteurized eggs in your store, those can safely be eaten raw in a smoothie.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I imagine there wouldn't be that cooked egg sulphur taste that way.

The "sulphur egg smell/taste" only comes from eggs that are either old and expired, or that have been overcooked (which is very typical with hard-boiled eggs).

I'm like you. The sulphur rotten egg smell/taste makes me gag, so I can't eat hard-boiled eggs, and can hardly be around them when someone else is eating them.

However, there are plenty of other ways to cook an egg that doesn't result in that sulphur smell/taste. For example, I really like scrambled eggs, and have never had them smell/taste bad before when prepared that way. Just be sure you're using fresh eggs.

My favorite way of eating eggs is scrambled, topped with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, and a dash of hot sauce, all rolled up in a flour tortilla.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Eggs bad for your cholesterol is actually not true. Much like salt being bad for, fish oil good for your heart. All studies in the 40s and 50s that lacked evidence and went untested until very recently.

In fact the american heart association took eggs off thier "dont eat list". Ive eaten 3 a day for the last 4 years and im at 154 total and a 2.2 ratio.

As far as a how to eat them, you could try a quiche but that may still be a problem you could try them in a shake after lots of blending.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Cook before eating.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Omelette? You can fill it with things you like or smother it with something like chili to mask the flavor.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, in much of the rest of the world ...

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
In what way have you had eggs prepared that you don't like? Possibly it's not the eggs but the way in which they were prepared? I don't like runny eggs, but I do like them fried relatively hard. For the same reason, I don't like soft runny scrambled eggs, but fluffy and a bit drier is just fine. An omelette is a favorite with bacon, onions and sharp cheddar cheese.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Eggs are just about the perfect food.

And they have nothing to do with high cholesterol.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I understand your feelings as my daughter struggles with same thoughts.

I like it cooked with yolk runny, over easy, and on toast. or, fry it to your likeness and place between a couple pieces of toast, like a sandwich.

I also enjoy frying an egg and putting it on a hamburger. With tomato mayo pickle mustard, you really hardly taste the egg much less the texture.

Omelets' are good for lots of flavors.

Trick is combining with other textures that cover the eggs up.

Doug

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
In what way have you had eggs prepared that you don't like? ...
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
... I've never eaten an egg ...

Seriously, the only way I like or have ever eaten an egg is in a cake, or brownie, or cookie.

I'm certainly not going to do an omelette.