SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SNAKE WARNING: Nope. Nope. Man catches black mamba.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SNAKE WARNING: Nope. Nope. Man catches black mamba. Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:...Some snakes don't need venom to be lethal.

You are terrible. And I am ashamed that I am laughing. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Is he the one that got Budd ?, should have had his Hanzo sword to be safe.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Shorts, t shirt, sandals? No way! Wearing a blast suit.... maybe then!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
F- That. No way. I don't mind snakes. But I'm not crawling around on my hands and knees to drag any poisonous snake out from under the TV.

Had a friend who used to hunt bears with a bow. "You know John, I tracked this bear for a couple of miles. Then I came to a thicket, I was on my hand a knees crawling and the bear and I saw each other. I couldn't get my bow and he took off instead of killing me. Don't think I'll do this shit anymore."

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Back in my high school days we went hunting in the fall. Looking for tree rats. But there in front of me was a pissed off copperhead. So I did what any red blooded boy would do. I shot it. I only had a 20 gauge back then. But it was very effective in making the snake about 6" shorter from the head end. I have no idea where the head went, but I assume it was "down range". Couldn't find any identifible traces, just some goo, make it pink goo. I didn't see a pink mist some suggest.

Sure, I could have left it for the next guy to step on. To my way of thinking, the shorter snake was safer. Would I do it again? In a New York minute. But these days my sight is blurrier so I use a 12ga for such work.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
If I lived there, I'd have a gargantuan herd of, take your pick, mongooses or mongeese.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Go back to page 1 and look at what that snake did to the leg of the TV stand! Big Grin

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
African PH stories have lots of black mamba encounters. One I read, a PH tells his wife not to move, points a shotgun at her head while she's remaining still on the sofa, tells her to dive to the floor, he blows the snake to hell. The snake was laying on the top of the sofa next to her head. That story was in Africa. Big balls and cool heads prevailed.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8660 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase a saying I'm fairly sure I picked up on SIGforum:

"We on the Nope Train to FutDatVille!"

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is probably a dumb question but why doesn't the stick have a pair of nippers on it to just clip off the head? Wouldn't this end the danger immediately? Maybe two sticks-one to capture and one to clip. Is there a reason to leave a snake this dangerous alive after it invades a home? I certainly don't ever bother a non poisonous snake.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If I lived there, I'd have a gargantuan herd of, take your pick, mongooses or mongeese.[/QUOTE]

Our neighbor in Africa had a mongoose named Squeaky.

One day we found a small 18" Gabon Viper (locally known as a Cassava snake) and got the brilliant idea of "Let's get Squeaky to kill the snake!"

So, we dash next door, grab Squeaky, and bring him over so we can watch a battle royale.

The snake is cornered and just laying there.

We drop Squeaky about three feet in front of the snake, expecting to see him do a Tasmanian Devil act on the snake.

Squeaky takes one look at the snake, turns and looks at us with this look of "Nope. You Assholes."

and watch him run like, well, like there was a poisonous snake a few feet away.

We found him next door hiding under the sofa.

The snake was introduced to the sharp edge of a machete.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aint no fooooking way!!!!

BTW, I have obviously been married to my wife for too long, but that house was filthy! It said they keep animals inside and it looks like it. Not surprised to see a snake in there.

Disappointing women since the 1970's

Posts: 1120 | Location: SC | Registered: October 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
This is probably a dumb question but why doesn't the stick have a pair of nippers on it to just clip off the head? Wouldn't this end the danger immediately? Maybe two sticks-one to capture and one to clip. Is there a reason to leave a snake this dangerous alive after it invades a home? I certainly don't ever bother a non poisonous snake.

Anti-venom

Posts: 3510 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've come across a few poisonous snakes out in the wild. They don't really bother me and I always give them their room.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16395 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Don't mambas slither at warp speed?

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:

Don't mambas slither at warp speed?

They are fast, and tend to rise up when biting.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Shoot with 12 gage, then shoot again a few times. Then reload and repeat. I was in S Carolina a few years ago with friend Jim. We went out into the woods/swamp to do some deer hunting. He says to me, "Why you looking down alla time?" I said I was looking out for snakes. He says, "Hell man, they're hangin' from the trees too." That was it for me.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No freaking way.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Shoot with 12 gage, then shoot again a few times. Then reload and repeat. I was in S Carolina a few years ago with friend Jim. We went out into the woods/swamp to do some deer hunting. He says to me, "Why you looking down alla time?" I said I was looking out for snakes. He says, "Hell man, they're hangin' from the trees too." That was it for me.

In my mamba encounter, we were on the banks of a dry riverbed, walking through waist high grass, hunting bushbuck. To our left the riverbank sloped toward the river; to our right the bank sloped upward another 50 feet, at about a 45 degree angle. The mamba was about free throw distance up the hill, and seemed to be about eye level because of the slope.

He was 9-10 ft, according to the PH. He was headed in the opposite direction we were traveling, and was intent on grabbing some frog or lizard. It struck the critter, then proceeded a few feet, then made a u-turn around a small tree. It was surreal, watching its head going in one direction, with a frog in its mouth, and a LOT of its body still going in a different direction. It was Discovery Channel type stuff. That's when my PH whispered to me those infamous words. The fear was pretty much indescribable. I wondered, hoped really, that the muzzle blast from my 35 Whelen might stop him at 3 feet.

He finally disappeared up the hill into some brush. We didn't start hunting the riverbed until after sundown, so it was getting darker by the minute. We made our way up the bank and a couple hundred yards to the "road" to wait for our ride. By now it was pitch dark. When the truck arrived with my friend and the PH who owned the safari company, my PH told them the story. I was pretty much unable to speak.

The other PH asked, "did you kill the mamba?" No. "Why not? When we go down in there tomorrow afternoon for bushbuck, we know a 3 meter mamba is still there?"

By that time, I had sufficiently recovered my speaking ability to tell him that I wouldn't be going back down there and that bushbuck was no longer a priority.

I still see him sometimes....in my sleep. Eek

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post