SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best way to repair a garden hose?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to repair a garden hose? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Question for anyone that knows. Have a good quality 50 ft hose that’s developed a bulge/leak. Not wanting to throw away the entire thing, thinking of cutting out the bad section and making two smaller hoses (easier for the wife to drag when watering plants).

Any suggestions on replacement pieces for both male and female ends? The Home Depot parts I’ve used in the past were always subpar.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just replace the hose. Repairing hoses is a fool's errand. Trust me, I've been that fool a couple times, but no more.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
use the middle one

Click the link, pick 1/2" or 3/4".

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16395 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
lowes makes a splice kit type
basically a brass double ended piece (has a raised section in the middle to butt the hose against, ) and 2 clamps,

used a couple over the years

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I never have been able to get a good seal on the replacement hose ends.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I personally like the ones, either brass or plastic that have the internal barb fitting but instead of a hose clamp on the outside, they have a two piece clamp with two screws that hold it in place. ymmv

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've tried them all, some actually are satisfactory for years. Others, not so much.

I have better results with the brass repair fittings than the plastic ones, despite considerable price break it is sometimes hard to tell what the best choice is.

It's hard to get a decade out of any of them any more regardless of what they cost new.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Don’t expect to deploy it like a fireman....

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of making it 2 hoses rather than trying to fix the middle. Then if it still goes bad you can save the ends.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the hose is a 'non kink' kind fixing it will be very difficult. Often those hoses are not round inside, but rather hex shaped which gives then that ability to continue to flow when kinked. The only way I've found to repair those is to heat a brass barb with a torch and the hose itself with a heat gun and then assemble so the hose melts a bit around the barb. The clamshell style clamps work the best for this. Usually it takes a couple tries to get to to seal without leaking.

I've given up on good hoses until the kids are gone since they seem to run them over with the car or mower and wreck them. I just plan to buy new cheap hoses every year.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
we seem to buy a new hose every season. they naturally kink, leak, etc. oh well.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Sears black rubber hose and throw the junk away.
If it is just busted and you repair,be sure to buy extra splicing kits,you will need soon.
Not trying to bust your chops ,just being honest.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Also, I have noticed almost all fittings in the garden hose section that appear to be brass are just cheap anodized gold aluminum. Aluminum performs just as well in this application (garden hose accessories), except in the corrosion resistance aspect. It just pisses me off they try and fool you.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I've tried them all, some actually are satisfactory for years. Others, not so much.

I have better results with the brass repair fittings than the plastic ones, despite considerable price break it is sometimes hard to tell what the best choice is.

It's hard to get a decade out of any of them any more regardless of what they cost new.
The problem I've encountered recently at Deep Homo and Lowe's is that they're painting/anodizing pot metal to brass color and you have to be very careful with what you're buying the brass colored pot metal is worse than plastic.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23225 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/result...repair+a+garden+hose

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Unless this is an exceptionally high quality hose, just throw it away and buy another one.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just use it to beat someone.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've cut up and used hose pieces for years and they are all still working just fine. Just make sure you use genuine brass and not plastic.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5036 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Rescue tape FTW.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I've used male and female ends, and splined couplings over the years. Brass seems best but with enough wear, and with a bit of dry-rot in the hose, they seem to fail.

The 50' Craftsman hose is a great value; never had to bring one back. I've cut them up for all types of purpose-length hoses for resizing.

You're a train guy? I tried truck-camping in NM but it turned out I was a few hundred yards from the Scholle Siding. A freight train pulling out in the middle of an otherwise deathly quiet desert sounds like a set of gigantic medal dominos toppling over upon themselves.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post