SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In Virginia: Store Clerk Arrested for Shooting Robbers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Virginia: Store Clerk Arrested for Shooting Robbers Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
...criminally charged for using one of the two guns he had legally purchased and registered two weeks ago...

We don't have gun registration in Virginia.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
somebody watched too much NCIS... one of my biggest gripes about that program is they are always check some mysterious gun registration data base... and they are based in D.C. and often this is in Virginia.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
That article used the word, "robber" like six times. I can't speak to VA but that wouldn't even be close to robbery here. There's a real good chance this guy is an abuser with four assault charges and an active PO. I'm glad no innocents were hurt, but as of now, I'll withhold my sympathy for this guy.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
A protective order is just that. Makes no difference what for. Shooting an unarmed fleeing robber. Doesn't sound like self defense to me. Some states he would probably be ok if not for the protective order. Not saying they didn't get what they had coming.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
That article used the word, "robber" like six times. I can't speak to VA but that wouldn't even be close to robbery here. There's a real good chance this guy is an abuser with four assault charges and an active PO. I'm glad no innocents were hurt, but as of now, I'll withhold my sympathy for this guy.

Burglary in the 3rd degree here. Far cry from robbery.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the burglars will turn their lives around after this near death experience.

They won t be back to threaten this shop, or other innocents.

Show me that they turned to Jesus an d joined the side of Good as soon as you see it happen.

If current events cause ' civilization' to recede just a little more, I bet there will be some attitude changes as well

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
He was already in the secured backroom. He initiated the attack. It doesn't appear he was in fear for his life at any point in time.

Unless he was attacked and defending himself, I don't see a justification.

Ignore the prohibited person fact. Ignore the initial shooting. He went back into the back room and came back to shoot them more while they were fleeing. I just don't see how you can do that and not fully expect to get arrested.

The clerk going into the front part of the store to investigate the sound is not initiating the attack and he therefore does not lose the presumption of innocence. Since VA is a stand your ground state, the element of avoidance is not required for it to be a valid case of self defense. Even if it was, the clerk going to investigate the noise would not cause him to lose the element of avoidance. If that was the case, you would have to call the police for every bang in the night that wakes you up at night instead of going out to see that it was just the dog knocking something off the table.

As far as going back after being in the back room and shooting at them while they were fleeing. That is a little more problematic. I do not think he would lose on the element of avoidance since Va is a stand your ground state, but he may lose the element of reasonableness. Did the teen burglars pose a reasonable threat of death or severe injury in that situation and was it reasonable for him to go back into the front.

Posts: 103 | Registered: April 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post