SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dodge diesel pickup early to mid 2000's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodge diesel pickup early to mid 2000's Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I have some knowledge but do need some clarification. We are talking the 2500 and maybe the 3500 series diesel 4x4 trucks. Prefer a crew cab shortbox but am open. I know they made both the 5.9 and the 6.7. I think they may have even made them in the same year. Not sure on that.

I have a rig I am thinking on selling that I am really not using. If I do I am considering buying a pre def diesel Dodge pickup or flatbed that I need for hauling and towing. I would prefer the 6sp manual transmission but an automatic would be fine too. I would love to be in the lower $20k range.

I would like to know anything worth while about a possible purchase from those who have first hand knowledge and expertise. I would not be opposed to a duramax but the dodge is my preference.

Thanks guys.

with my budget what can I expect to get or should I be looking to get.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have an 02 5.9 that I use to tow a large trailer.
The ideal one is a 03 1/2 so you have the better transmission and fuel injection. No idea what the prices are for these.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
The 5.9 is one of the most ridiculous engines ever made. I own a 2001 7.3 F250 that my daughter drives every day and it’s a helluva truck but that 5.9 CTD rivals it at minimum, except for the transmission. While the Ford offering in that year range is nothing to get excited about the Dodge/Ram offering is even less excitable.

You mention either a 5.9 or a 6.7 which suggests the transitional year models. If that’s the case I’d personally recommend the 5.9 as there’s less in the way of emission requirements plus they have very similar transmissions and the horror stories of the early 6.7’s that I believe were known as the BlueTec engines were pretty scary. No firsthand experience with them, just going by what I know from people who own/owned them so take that for what it’s worth but the to my knowledge the 5.9 never had the DEF system so that’s worth noting.

All that said, I’m waiting for the 2022 Ram HD to come out as rumor has it they’re ditching the current transmission lineup and upgrading it with the possibility of a 10 speed Allison offering. If that does actually happen it’ll be my next truck.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cross - if you don't mind my asking, what's the rig your looking to sell?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure the exact question. The 5.9 plus manual is perhaps the best power train in a modern Diesel truck. Bar none. Rare to find one in decent shape and people I know have basically rebuilt complete trucks around one to keep it. If you find in good shape one buy it.
Once you are past the 5.9 the Cummins is still the best of the modern emissions diesels but all of those suck no matter who made it just in varying degrees.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My dad has a 2002 5.9 with the automatic transmission. He has over 400,000 miles on it. It has been a very reliable truck.

I had a 1992 with the same set up that was at 250,000 when I sold it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I have an 01 Ram 2500 with the 5.9. It is absolutely cherry, the cleanest example you will ever see. Spent it's life in Nevada before I got it. These are 500,000 mile trucks with a 50,000 mile tranny and fuel lift pump. These are the only two things that I know of that you need to watch out for. Having said that, neither is that big of a deal to replace / rebuild. The issue is finding a clean one. Just like old 5.0 mustangs, most examples have been modified to hell and back. People like them to "roll coal" or some such nonsense.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
They started putting the 6.7 in the latter half of 2007.

I've got a 2006 3500 with a 5.9. It's been very reliable. Oil changes, brake pads, rotors and ball joints. I did have it into the body shop earlier this year to replace the rocker panels.

Dad has the 2007 with the 5.9. He recently had the injectors replaced - that was kind of spendy.

There are very few of these for sale around here (auto or manual).

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
This is our 04 2500 5.9. Hauled a horse trailer all over the TN, N. GA, VA mountains with it. Getting close to 300K miles. Had to replace the fuel lift pump and one fuel injector. It's an automatic - knock on wood, no issues with transmission.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, keep it coming. Bamma, looks like a 2wd.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks guys, keep it coming. Bamma, looks like a 2wd.

It is - that's the only thing I would change if I could. We got this truck 5 or 6 years ago and it was just a really good deal. In reality, there are only like maybe 3 times I can recall wishing it was 4WD, but we managed to get by alright Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had Dodge 2500 diesels automatics 4x4 98, 01, 03, 05, 07, 05, 09, 12. Bought new except the 2nd 05, it had 10K on it.

Used them for my work, repair tech, 1500lbs or so in bed. Sometimes drug a trailer loaded heavy machines up and down mountain passes.

The two 05's were the best trucks for no repairs, best two vehicles I've owned! Sold one of the 05's with low 200K, zero problems. 03 good truck also. The 07 6.7 was a piece of shit, multiple problems, traded it well before the warranty was up. Had a couple problems with the 12.

If I were to buy used, 03-06.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I bought new 2005 Ram 3/4ton 4x4 2500 with the Hemi 5.7/auto. At 100,000 mile it remained the best pickup I ever owned, after a lifetime of other marques. Towed 24' camper trailer mainly, with zero issues.

Opinion of satisfied owner with non-Diesel needs. Sorry I traded it off.

Good luck in your search.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
2004.5 CTD 2500 Ram for me. Pushing 247k now. Only problem was a tranny rebuild at 132k. The 48RE is the weak link in the drivetrain. Truck has been great otherwise. Body rusts over the rear wheel wells, especially the short beds. I've repaired twice already. Truck is rock solid though, not a squeak or rattle.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7505 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
just because you can
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have 2006 2500 Cummins powered Dodge that I bought new. I have put around 169,000 miles on it in all kinds of terrain and weather. No issues other than a front axle problem that I had fixed. I think it is a great truck.

"Did you eat paint chips as a child?"

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So I missed on one recently. a 20 year old Dodge with very low miles and a one owner. 5.9L 24 valve dodge. Dang it. Price was doable too.
I would of purchased had I not been the second person to inquire.

Thinking I should post a wtb add here. Thinking there are some trucks you guys could help me purchase and get headed west. Wink

posted Hide Post
I have a 2005 Ram 3500 dually. 6 spd stick with 97000 miles that I've been thinking of selling. It's bee a sold truck for me. 05's and 06's are typically considered the best years for the 5.9's

2003 & 2004's are solid too. But were rated a little lower horsepower and torque compared to the 2005's and 2006's.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
F12517, I see you do not have an email in your profile. Mine is there. Shoot me an email so we can discuss it. Thanks, Orc

posted Hide Post
ORC, email sent...

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post

Here is mine, a few weeks after I got it. Bone stock 2001 24 valve.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post