SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wasps!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wasps! Login/Join 
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted
Anyone have a proven method to trap or otherwise eradicate these rotten bastards without having to wield chemicals or a shoe at them?

TIA

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Ground wasps, otherwise known as yellowjackets? or Paper wasps- the kind that make an exposed egg cell type nest in building eves?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would just use a chemical spray. Wasps are nasty and don't do any good. I wouldn't want to play with a nest of them.

I guess you could go smack the nest away with a broom but I wouldn't try that method myself.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
As many on SigForm have stated in the past - kill them with fire! Big Grin

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
pinged for a follow up, I have these bastages and cannot find their newest nest.

I normally keep a can of spray on the patio and near me if I am working in the yard.

A buddy gifted me a salt gun....works on flys not sure if it will work on wasps but I am gonna try it.

That being said I have seen several wasp traps on amazon just not sure if they really work or if I could make something myself?

I figure something with sugar water that once they get in they cannot escape...but I have not had the time to explore this

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
My father in law was a fairly highly ranked member of the German forest service.

We were out to pick up some firewood he bought, and discovered a paper wasp colony in 2 piles of wood.

We got rid of them. Went to the PX and bought a couple cans of bug killer spray.

Took my 22, put the bug bombs in the wood pile next to the nests, shot them with the 22.

Killed all the little bastards!!

I doubt there is any way, short of poison, to get rid of them. You might try a vacuum cleaner to suck them up as they come out of the nest, but you won't get the ones inside guarding the next generation.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
These are the big black ones that kinda flitter all over. Paper wasps then, I guess. I am using Hot Shot, but would rather not chase them all over the yard since they sent me to the ER in an ambulance a few years ago.

For the ground yellow jackets, putting a clear glass bowl over their nest entry has worked for me in the past. They look like popcorn when they try to get out...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Couple years ago I tried the shop vac method. That's where you set a shop vac to running with the end of the hose just outside their entrance/exit. After doing that for three freaking days, emptying out hundreds-upon-hundreds of them the next morning, I gave up and resorted to chemicals.

Problem solved.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Get some Section 8 wasps to move into the nest...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by varoadking:
These are the big black ones that kinda flitter all over. Paper wasps then, I guess. I am using Hot Shot, but would rather not chase them all over the yard since they sent me to the ER in an ambulance a few years ago.

For the ground yellow jackets, putting a clear glass bowl over their nest entry has worked for me in the past. They look like popcorn when they try to get out...

Paper wasps are actually kind of stupid and not very agile. I used to knock them down with long sticks as a kid and never once got stung. Knocking the nest down will do more to get rid of them than you would think. Repeating the process as they rebuild almost always guarantees they disappear.

For yellowjackets, I do the same thing you do. Fill a large, clear glass bowl with hot water, dump it down the hole at about midnight, and stomp the bowl down tight. About a week later, most of them will have died. Another thing that works is running a hose into the hole and flooding them for about a 1/2 hour or so, and add the bowl.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I live in wasp country. The yellow jackets are nasty little bastards, as are all the ones that nest close to the ground. We especially have trouble with them nesting in farm equipment. I have been swarmed by hundreds of them in a pile of pallets and thank goodness I was in a tractor with a cab at the time. Never move stuff that has been there for a while during the day in wasp season. I buy a case of wasp and hornet spray with 20-25 foot range every year and then watch them during the day to see where they go. Spray them in daylight and you will miss a lot of them that are out on wasp business during the day. After dark go soak their nest with the wasp killer. You get all of them that way. Work that a few years in a row and you will cut their numbers way down. Brush piles, lumber piles, paper and cardboard piles, old vehicles, outbuildings, playground sets, pipe, landscaping timbers, etc all provide them a place to build their nests. Also have found them in bushes next to buildings.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
This stuff works on them and is generally cheaper than products labelled to kill them.
Edit: Make sure you buy the stuff in the red can.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
We get about a gillion paper wasps around here in the summer. Thankfully, they are pretty docile and don't mess with you. It is still a bit unnerving having that many around though. I hit the visible nests with Black Flag Wasp and Hornet spray. Kills 'em dead instantly.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I would just use a chemical spray. Wasps are nasty and don't do any good. I wouldn't want to play with a nest of them.

I guess you could go smack the nest away with a broom but I wouldn't try that method myself.

Some wasps kill spiders. So they have that going for them, which is nice.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Brake Cleen! Spray the hive or any place they are gathering. They die nearly instantly, falling to the ground like a shot down goose.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had great success using a propane torch on softball-sized nests and smaller. I wait until just past dusk to ensure that all of the bastards have returned to the nest and then let them have it. The heat vaporizes the wings of the ones that try to defend the nest and they fall to the ground, I torch them after I'm sure that there are no more that are coming out of the nest.
YMMV. Also, this only works when the nest is not next to something highly flammable or where a scorch mark is something that I'll have to look at. I usually keep a watering hose on standby, just in case things get out of hand. I've never had to use it. The best part is that there are no residual toxins afterward.

Posts: 114 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If the nest is reachable with a garden hose and a pole, wait for a rainy night then hose it down with high pressure and knock it down. Soak the shit out of it. If brave, do it without the rain or during the day. I tried the sugar bait method without success.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
After dark go soak their nest with the wasp killer. You get all of them that way.

This has been successful for me the half-dozen times I've had to deal with them.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I had wasp nests for a period. I remember getting a wasp spray from orchard supply. One attribute it that it had an extremely long focused spray so that I could spray it from my driveway and hit the houses on the second floor overhang.

I figured I'd google it and here it is.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recommend spraying them when it's cold. Typically thats nighttime or just before dark. Otherwise, wake up early and hit the nest with Black flag foam. The foam covers the exit hole so you can make your get away. Works well too.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post