SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    George Washington’s Recipe for Beer Inspired Budweiser’s Latest Patriotic Premium Brew
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George Washington’s Recipe for Beer Inspired Budweiser’s Latest Patriotic Premium Brew Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Seems like a tasty recipe...

Budweiser is using another old recipe to create a new brew. Like the Budweiser 1933 Repeal Reserve, the company has unearthed a historic recipe from 1757—this time it’s one from George Washington—to create the Budweiser Freedom Reserve Red Lager.

The new lager features molasses in the recipe, a nod to Washington’s mixture, as well as patriotic packaging from Jones Knowles Ritchie.

“We believe that the 140-year-old history of this brand and its connection to the country not only allows it to [create] incredible lagers but also bring incredible lagers with a taste of history inspired by that original recipe from George Washington,” explained Ricardo Marques, vp of marketing for Budweiser.

Marques continued: “This [recipe] was found in his military journal. One of the ingredients we took out of that recipe was molasses, which you’ll find in this beer as well. We think it’s a great story not only given the cause but the connection to the country.”

Digital, social and television work from VaynerMedia touting the new brew will be released in the coming weeks. Washington—to be clear, an actor playing Washington—will not make an appearance in the spot, according to Marques, who noted, “The star of the new spot is the beer itself.”

The beer was produced by veterans, who are featured prominently on the beer’s packaging via signatures on bottles and packs. Some of the proceeds will go to veterans through the nonprofit Folds of Honor, which provides educational scholarships to military families. To date, Budweiser has donated $14 million to Folds of Honor, according to the company.

“To call Budweiser a partner would be an understatement—they are considered family to us and the 3,000 families their donations help to support,” said Major Dan Rooney, founder and CEO of Folds of Honor, in a statement. “Freedom Reserve is a great testament to their unwavering dedication and compassion for our armed forces and we salute them.”

http://www.adweek.com/brand-ma...riotic-premium-brew/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Well, they really can't make it worse.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Well, they really can't make it worse.

True.

Still, with Budweiser's massive logistics and manufacturing experience, if they could figure out a way to make a decent beer, they could do great things.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be fair, they do make a decent (quality, consistent) beer. It just isn't a style most beer afficionados like (but the vast majority of Americans prefer).

I rarely drink "Light American Lagers" but on the rare occasion I do, I prefer Bud or Coors over Miller.

I looked up the original recipe, it would not have been good at all. Basically, boil hops to make bitter water and take off the heat. Add molasses, let cool an pitch the yeast. You'd end up with a lower alcohol "small beer" not containing any grain and not resembling what we know of as beer today.

A red lager with a hint of molasses actually sounds pretty good, I'll probably pick some up to try it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Here is my takeaway from reading this.

After reading Washingtos beer recipe and doing our research, we decided molasses was cheap enough we could use it. The rest of the recipe was of little use to us.

I am willing to accept the idea that Washington did not brew craft beer. It was probably brewed with a nod to cost and yield.

I love "inspired". McDonald's Mcrib is no doubt inspired by some of the great Kansas City pit masters. With a nod to legendary Memphis BBQ traditions. Re: we cooked up some hog meat, and put it on bread.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5148 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

I rarely drink "Light American Lagers" but on the rare occasion I do, I prefer Bud or Coors over Miller.

I am with you. AB's Bud is better than the other big American beers, but that isn't saying much.

And no one would like that "beer" so AB's version is only very loosely inspired by it be adding a little molasses to AB's usual rice beer.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:

After reading Washingtos beer recipe and doing our research, we decided molasses was cheap enough we could use it. The rest of the recipe was of little use to us.

I am willing to accept the idea that Washington did not brew craft beer. It was probably brewed with a nod to cost and yield.

Well, since Washington's recipe was just hops and molasses and yeast, they used all the ingredients he did. Bud's version costs more due to the grain bill. Not sure your point?

I read the article thinking I'd find the recipe and brew it Washington's way for kicks, once I realized all it was is low alcohol fermented molasses-hop water...no thanks!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Plenty of craft brewers have done batches inspired by Washington and colonial era recipes. AB keeps trying to lure craft drinkers while simultaneously insulting us in their marketing. I drank plenty of their beer in my younger days but in the last 15-20 years something happened and I can’t drink their brands even if I wanted. It makes me sick before I can finish a pint. A friend thinks I developed an allergy to beechwood.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't drink beer often. And, it's not like I always drink Bud, but I try to drink Budweiser once in a while because they're the only company I see willing to switch cans and send water to disaster areas.

That's about the only marketing on that level that gets to me. If a company can be depended on to do something in a disaster like Budweiser, they get my respect for it even if they are doing it for the free marketing.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

I looked up the original recipe, it would not have been good at all. Basically, boil hops to make bitter water and take off the heat. Add molasses, let cool an pitch the yeast. You'd end up with a lower alcohol "small beer" not containing any grain and not resembling what we know of as beer today.

I was curious and also looked up the recipe. In the comments someone mentioned this recipe gets reprinted often and it's missing a period between Bran and Hops. So the first ingredient is wheat bran. (and) Hops to taste.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I drank plenty of their beer in my younger days but in the last 15-20 years something happened and I can’t drink their brands even if I wanted. It makes me sick before I can finish a pint. A friend thinks I developed an allergy to beechwood.
That's very interesting. I stopped all alcohol drinking ~21 years ago. A-B beers (Budweiser and Michelob, specifically) didn't take maybe more than, say, eight beers to give me an hangover. I'd get progressively sicker until my body just wouldn't allow me to consume any alcohol.

IDK about relative alcohol contents, but other beers would only produce similar effects after drinking ~a case. Foreign, domestic..didn't matter. Just A-B products. Could drink a decent amount of gin or rum in mixed drinks with no issues.

Knowing no more than I did, I wondered if there was something about the yeast.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"inspired by that original recipe from George Washington,”

You beer snobs can say what you want about the taste of Budweiser... but they sure know how to market their products.

I agree that this will have little resemblance to that original recipe from George Washington's journal... but I'll try it. Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

You beer snobs can say what you want about the taste of Budweiser... but they sure know how to market their products.

Mmmmm, taste that marketing. It kinda overpowers the hops. Big Grin

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I don't drink muck these days but when I have a beer or two I want something that at least a step above yellow piss water. Budweiser is owned by InBev these days a brewing company from Belgium / Brazil. Not much of a George Washington - American type company.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:

Well, since Washington's recipe was just hops and molasses and yeast, they used all the ingredients he did. Bud's version costs more due to the grain bill. Not sure your point?

I read the article thinking I'd find the recipe and brew it Washington's way for kicks, once I realized all it was is low alcohol fermented molasses-hop water...no thanks!
i guess my point is they are using Washington as a marketing tool. If the beer sucks and you feel the need to change the recipe I guess you shouldn’t be claiming the heritage.

I have a wood framed house is it Monticello inspired?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5148 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I do hope that wheat is used in the recipe, otherwise it likely to be malta with a shot of vodka. Mind you, I have had some decent maltas from Becks and St Pauli. That was a while ago, the usual stuff is merely okay.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
My guess is that it's just going to be a wheat beer w/ some molasses, very mildly hopped like their flagship beers.

I have had a (honey?) wheat and pale ale that they made years ago. Apparently we were a test market. If I recall, they did it under the Michelob label. The beers were so-so. Unremarkable.
While they have some the best brewers in the world, I imagine they are limited by a hoard of bean counters.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:

Mmmmm, taste that marketing. It kinda overpowers the hops. Big Grin

And the rice...just leaves the water. Wink

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

And given that Bud Light is the number one selling beer in the US (by double its nearest competitor) and Budweiser is number four, I guess about 100 million people are wrong.

I like a decent craft beer as much as the next guy, but let's not kid ourselves. They sell a metric shit-ton of beer because it tastes better than the rest of them, goes down like water, is cheap, and they have great marketing.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like a decent craft beer as much as the next guy, but let's not kid ourselves. They sell a metric shit-ton of beer because it tastes better than the rest of them, goes down like water, is cheap, and they have great marketing.

When I'm not drinking craft beer, I've been drinking Billy Beer lately.
Billy Busch is the only member of the Busch family still brewing beer. I won't say we are friends but I know him and I am friends with one of his top guys.

Tastes better than Bud Light! Shameless plug for Kraftig:

http://kraftig.com/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post