SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this portable power bank allowed in carry-on luggage?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this portable power bank allowed in carry-on luggage? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
It's a Poweradd Pilot 2GS. 10000mAh.

I can't find a definitive answer, but I'm still looking. I've got a 30 hour trip coming up and I was going to depend on this to keep my devices charged so I can binge watch all my movies during the trip.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's fine. I keep two 16,000 mAh ones with me traveling for business.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Tony.

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
You will be fine. I've flown many times with those small packs and much bigger ones for dive lights.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Carry on only. No lithium batteries in the cargo hold. Keep that in mind if you run out of overhead space and they want to gate check your luggage.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll likely have a power outlet on the plane too.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
You'll likely have a power outlet on the plane too.

Sometimes. More often than not, the USB ports don't work or there is no power outlet under the seat. I have been lucky, from time to time.

Tony.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Carry on only. No lithium batteries in the cargo hold. Keep that in mind if you run out of overhead space and they want to gate check your luggage.
Just curious -- if that were to happen, could you put the power pack in your pocket?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yes, you could just put it in your pocket, or hold it in your hands.

I try to travel with an overhead bag and an under seat briefcase/messenger bag. The under seat bag would have laptop, phone, battery bank, so it's not a problem if my overhead bag gets gate checked.

I imagine if you had only one bag and it had everything in it, you would want to pull your laptop, phone, and battery bank to hold in your hands until you are seated.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That is a long flight if you're going commercial. When did they start refueling in air? Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be aware that other countries have different rules & like to change them without warning or reason. China is odd about power banks. In a bag is a major clusterfuck, in your hands is OK Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Be aware that other countries have different rules & like to change them without warning or reason. China is odd about power banks. In a bag is a major clusterfuck, in your hands is OK Roll Eyes

Yeah, in Italy last year they required that every battery or battery powered device be taken out of your carry on and placed into a clear plastic bag to be inspected separately.

Weird.

The fear, as I understand it, is that lithium batteries can burst into flames if damaged. Like a really brief, really hot, road flare. Inside the cabin of an airplane, not a big deal--screaming people will alert cabin staff and fire extinguishers will make quick work of a fire. Inside of the cargo hold, a fire can grow to an unmanageable size before anything can be done.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I also did a quick google search, and I learned something new:

The FAA has a limit on the size and quantity of "large" lithium batteries. Max size is 160 watt hours, and you can carry up to two at that size.

I'm guessing a 5 volt battery pack can be sized up to 32,000 mAh before raising eyebrows.

There's no limit to the number of smaller batteries (less than 100 watt hours) a passenger can carry, so long as it is for the passenger's personal use and not for commercial sale.

At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I've flown all over the world with little portable power banks and never had any issues.
However, note what snidera said:
quote:

What passes fine with TSA here will get you special attention in other countries. Pay attention to the placards at security. I've found Europe to be the tightest on security, with Africa and India the loosest. Never been to China but they sound tight as well. Overseas, assume that everything with a battery will need to be pulled out of your bag, regardless of the policy on it here.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
1,000 or 10,000? 1,000 = 40% charge on cell phone. My flashlight batteries are 2,600. I have 20,000 one that will charge my phone about seven times. Weighs under 2 lbs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
1,000 or 10,000? 1,000 = 40% charge on cell phone. My flashlight batteries are 2,600. I have 20,000 one that will charge my phone about seven times. Weighs under 2 lbs.

He just dropped a zero. Thats a 10K unit.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

He just dropped a zero. Thats a 10K unit.

Yup, left out a zero. 10,000 mAh. This thing takes about 24 hours to fully charge. I use it for a few full recharges before it's dead. I love it.

Tony.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just got back from very long trip with intermittent power and communications. Will absolutely take a battery pack next time.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Just curious -- if that were to happen, could you put the power pack in your pocket?

Carry it like they did in "Papillon," and have the cord snaking down your pant leg.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:

This^^^

I just returned from a trip to Vietnam. When departing the country, their TSA selected my carry-on bag for additional inspection. I was carrying my laptop, which uses a Li-ion battery. They had no problem w/ that. I had a 10,000 mAh powerbank similar to the one benny6 posted. The inspector looked at it briefly, then put it back. I had a small, red, clip-on blinky light that's has a micro-USB rechargeable Li-ion battery. He took a long look at it. I think he was trying to determine if it had a removable battery. He decided it was OK.

Last, I had a pen light that uses two AAA batteries. That was a no-no. I thought the guy was using it as an excuse to confiscate it, but he let me keep it as long as I discarded the batteries.

Moral of the story is don't carry a battery that will upset you if it gets confiscated (excuse me... "voluntarily surrendered" is the proper term). For most of us, that's probably something that costs more than $20 to replace. In my case, that red blinky light is ~$30, and I would have been pissed off if I lost it.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post