SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Geologists-Iron in gravel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Geologists-Iron in gravel Login/Join 
posted
About a month ago, I had 10 yards of 1 5/8" gravel delivered so I could add some more along the shoulders of my asphalt driveway. Today, I started to lay a little down to see how much work I'll have in the near future. As I shoveled some into my wheelbarrow, a glint came from the rocks. A fair portion of the rock is heavily embedded with pyrite. Should I be concerned with pyrite oxidizing and releasing sulfates as it breaks down?

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's going to weather fast enough to cause any problems in your use.

The main thing to worry about is the neighborhood kids stealing all of it because it has "gold" in it.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I don't think it's going to weather fast enough to cause any problems in your use.

The main thing to worry about is the neighborhood kids stealing all of it because it has "gold" in it.

That's pretty much what I figured. Looks like I'll just have a sparkly driveway. No kids in the neighborhood, so I don't need to worry about it gradually disappearing.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell from your pic; are you sure it’s pyrite, and not schist? Schist has a lot of flat grained inclusions of things like quartz and mica that catch and reflect the light as you describe. Pyrite will tarnish when exposed to weathering and become less shiny over time. Are the “shiny” spots flat, or do they appear nodular.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Hard to tell from your pic; are you sure it’s pyrite, and not schist? Schist has a lot of flat grained inclusions of things like quartz and mica that catch and reflect the light as you describe. Pyrite will tarnish when exposed to weathering and become less shiny over time. Are the “shiny” spots flat, or do they appear nodular.

You sure your alias shouldn't be Rockhound?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The mica in schist can be a tabular mineral and will weather more rapidly than pyrite, quartz, or feldspar, but I doubt fast enough to make a meaningful difference when used as the OP intends.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
The mica in schist can be a tabular mineral and will weather more rapidly than pyrite, quartz, or feldspar, but I doubt fast enough to make a meaningful difference when used as the OP intends.

I think he was more concerned about the creation of sulfates (or kids carrying it off like dwarves) than from iron oxidation than just weathering of his gravel lol. Either way, I’m sure his yard and stability of his driveway will be fine.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

You sure your alias shouldn't be Rockhound?

Lol

posted Hide Post
quote:

They look flat. I don't think it will be a problem using the rock along my driveway.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think he was more concerned about the creation of sulfates (or kids carrying it off like dwarves) than from iron oxidation than just weathering of his gravel lol. Either way, I’m sure his yard and stability of his driveway will be fine.

Any suffates created would be the result of weathering.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, but mica breaking down does not produce them. Iron based minerals do. If his gravel has mica or quartz inclusions, it is not a concern. I think you may have misunderstood my point.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, but mica breaking down does not produce them. Iron based minerals do. If his gravel has mica or quartz inclusions, it is not a concern. I think you may have misunderstood my point.

Right.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The picture looks to me like something that came from igneous rock or slag from a smelter.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post