SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any ForScan users here?? UPDATE: Made my first changes.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any ForScan users here?? UPDATE: Made my first changes. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Since deciding to buy the 2016 Expedition I have been reading and researching everything I can. Since actually purchasing I have been honing on some things I like to do. Turns out quite a few tweaks and changes can be done with a laptop, ForScan a free program (for now), and a $30 ODBII dongle.
There are tons of things that can be done to Ford vehicles.
I am not all that versed in it so I am only going to stick with changes that are proven for my specific model year.

I plan to activate my fog lights and parking lights as my daytime running lights. Currently my vehicle has no daytime running lights.

Switch to “Bambi mode” currently when you turn on the high beams the fog lights shut off. Bambi mode keeps the fog lights on.

I will enable remote start. All I need to do is buy 2 keyfobs with the remote start button. $34 for 2 and have the hardware store cut the keys. One can program the keys yourself if you have 2 factory keys. So for $45 I will have a remote start with no module or spliced wires. The dealer charges $350 and aftermarket splice jobs cost at least $150.

I’ll add the factory trailer brakes by activating them in ForScan and buying the factory controller for $75 as all the wiring is in the truck just not connected. Factory wants $350 and aftermarket splice job is at least $200 installed depending upon your unit.

There is tons of stuff people are doing with it constantly finding new abilities and options.
The Expedition forum has a spreadsheet they keep updated with proven options. I’ll keep an eyeball on the list and if any other neat stuff comes along I’ll be able to add it.

I was hoping someone could find a way that when you shut the truck off it automatically closes the rear window vents. No luck so far on that one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I had mine removed when I was eight days old.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure how many modules match up, but there's an extensive spreadsheet on the 2015+ section of F150 forum

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15152 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
I had mine removed when I was eight days old.
He said a "dongle," not a "mohel."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
We used to use them on babies born without eyelids. They just ended up a little cock-eyed.

o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Not sure how many modules match up, but there's an extensive spreadsheet on the 2015+ section of F150 forum

Quite a few or a lot of the ideas on what to test come from there. Most of the folks on the Expedition forum piggy back off the stuff from the F150s. Though some things people want to do just aren’t possible because of the SUV design being different. But there are some folks that are doing a whole bunch of trial and error stuff.

I am not very technically inclined nor do I have the time. So I just mooch off the fruits of others labors and keep apprised of when new codes are added to the Expedition spreadsheet.

Seems to be a pretty slick piece of software. I just put a fresh install of Microsoft 10 on an old vista machine and it will be solely for ForScan and the Fords Expedition Shop Manual I purchased the pdf of.

————————————————

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Tweaked a couple things with it on my 2017 Mustang GT.

Fog lights enabled with high beams
No drivers seatbelt chime
Radio on with car turned off

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

What dongle are you using?
I went with the USB connection should be here Monday.
OHP Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus Mazda OBD2 diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F...cp_api_awcYAbSBBYSD9

I just did not like the wireless idea for something that is making changes.

Just for reading and displaying to an iPad using ODBFusion or something I’ll go with a wireless dongle.

————————————————

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

What dongle are you using?
I went with the USB connection should be here Monday.
OHP Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus Mazda OBD2 diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F...cp_api_awcYAbSBBYSD9

I just did not like the wireless idea for something that is making changes.

Just for reading and displaying to an iPad using ODBFusion or something I’ll go with a wireless dongle.

That is the exact same one I went with. On the Mustang forum it was widely recommended and conversely, many folks who went wireless expressed problems with them working correctly with ForScan

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Good to hear.
Folks on the Expedition forum use this one or the wireless Mx which is like $100. I like the cheaper price and the wired idea much better.
I really only see myself making some initial tweaks so don’t feel like spending much.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My dongle arrived today.
The more I read the more nervous I get fooling with anything.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Finally got everything configured up the other night for the ODBII connection to the laptop.
I was able to make my first changes. Pretty nerve racking for the first time even though I saved all my factory module settings.

I was able to activate Bambi mode so my fog lights no longer shut off when you turn on the high beams.

I also activated my daytime running lights. I set them to be the fog lights and parking lights.

My factory settings did not have DRLs of any sort activated.
Of course I don't get to do anything productive until after we get the boys to bed so it is dark out and I can't test to see if I successfully activated the DRLs.
I followed the steps that have already been verified by someone else just like Bambi mode so it should be just fine.

Next up I will activate the remote start. I just need to order the proper keyfobs, have the keys cut, and program the keys.

Will likely be a couple weeks before I can order the fobs.

————————————————