SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Then a member brought up her glasses being so big and her eyes magnified. Scared kitten look.

I went back through pictures posted a while back, and sure enough that was it.

What a fraud. I doubt she could even see out of those fucking things.

I was reading there were people theorizing they weren't even real glasses, and if you notice she kept pushing them up on her head as if they were sunglasses.

The whole thing was a big act.

Someone should have given her a DMV eye exam right there during the hearing while she was wearing them damn things

Then ask her why she was wearing them when they made her vision worse.

Credibility=0

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I saw somewhere his first case will be Budweiser.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
[QUOTE When I was watching the hearing I kept thinking What a fraud. I doubt she could even see out of those fucking things.
She "May have needed them for reading but the size was a given to make her look vulnerable. And to see who she was talking too she had to look over them.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So these are $5 reading glasses from CVS then?

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Many will enjoy this account of Justice Kavanaugh’s first court day, thanks to Mark Walsh of SCOTUSBlog.

quote:
A “view” from the courtroom: Justice Kavanaugh takes the bench

Three days ago, demonstrators were literally storming the steps of the Supreme Court and clamoring at the bronze doors over the contentious confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh.

So today, with the now sworn-in Justice Kavanaugh ready to take the bench for the first time, there is an expectant air in the courtroom. Will there be the kind of protests that marked the main part of Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing in the Hart hearing room, or his final floor vote in the U.S. Senate?

To not bury the lead (for a change), the answer is no. There will be no interruptions during two hours of arguments.

It may have helped that the court appears to have removed the wooden chairs that are normally situated in the back of the courtroom, which are typically filled by rotating spectators from the “three-minute” line. It seems there is no three-minute line today.

At 9:45, Kavanaugh’s wife, Ashley, and their two daughters, Margaret and Liza, arrive and take seats in the second row of the guest box. Kavanaugh had indicated last night at his ceremonial oath-taking at the White House that the girls would be missing school today to observe the first two cases he would hear as a justice. Liza, the younger daughter, practically sinks below the top of the seatback in first row of bench seating in the guest section.

Kavanaugh’s parents, Everett and Martha, are in the first row of the public gallery, just across from the guest box.

A few minutes later, retired Justice Anthony Kennedy, whom Kavanaugh has succeeded, walks in while chatting with Martha-Ann Alito, the wife of Justice Samuel Alito. It is slightly jarring, of course, to see Kennedy in the courtroom for arguments without his judicial robe. He takes the first VIP chair in the row of such cushy chairs in front of the guest box.

When the court takes the bench, Kavanaugh is at his place on the far right (looking at the bench from the audience), next to Justice Elena Kagan. Barring unforeseen events, they will be next to each other for years to come, even as the justices rotate from one side of the chief justice’s seat to the other as vacancies among more senior members of the court arise.

Chief Justice John Roberts has a few words to mark this day.

“Before we commence the business of the court this morning, it gives me great pleasure, on behalf of myself and my colleagues, to welcome Justice Kavanaugh to the court,” Roberts says, adding that Kavanaugh has taken his oaths and his commission “will be duly recorded,” and the court will have a special sitting at a later time to mark the occasion.

“Justice Kavanaugh, we wish you a long and happy career in our common calling,” the chief justice says.

With Kennedy in the courtroom, Roberts says he would like to note the justice’s retirement. “At the appropriate time, we will in accordance with tradition and practice read and enter into the record an exchange of letters between the court and Justice Kennedy marking his retirement.”

During the routine of bar admissions, Kavanaugh takes his first sip of a beverage from an elegant silver cup, the type that seems to be issued to each justice even though they often prefer to have their favorite coffee mug at the bench.

From there, the court plunges into two arguments over the Armed Career Criminal Act, the federal statute that imposes a 15-year minimum sentence on any defendant who, having been convicted of three prior “violent felonies,” is found guilty of being in possession of a firearm.

In Stokeling v. United States, about whether a state robbery offense that includes “as an element” the common-law requirement of overcoming “victim resistance” is categorically a “violent felony” under the ACCA.

This argument has some moments that even young spectators seem to enjoy, such as when Roberts describes having his law clerks try to pull a dollar bill out of his hand while he held tight. (This was in response to an argument in the petitioner’s merits brief that “robbery can … occur where the offender does no more than grab cash from someone’s closed fist, tearing the bill without touching the person.”)

“It tears easily if you go like this,” Roberts says to Brenda Bryn, the lawyer for petitioner Denard Stokeling, motioning as if to tear a bill in half. “But if you’re really tugging on it … it requires a lot of force, more than you might think.”

Justice Sonia Sotomayor asks about whether a “ordinary pinch” can involve sufficient force to break the law. And to demonstrate, she pinches her neighbor on her right, Justice Neil Gorsuch. At that moment, he is lifting his coffee mug for a sip, and his wide-eyed reaction to being pinched suggests a mix of bemusement and mild alarm.

Whenever a justice asks a question, Kavanaugh looks down the bench at his colleague. He sometimes dons his reading glasses, and he jots notes. We cannot see whether he has his trademark Sharpie marker.

At 10:25 a.m., Kavanaugh has his first question, asking Bryn about her arguments relating to a 2010 Supreme Court ACCA decision, Curtis Johnson v. United States.

“In Curtis Johnson, you rely heavily on the general statements of the court, but the application of those general statements was to something very specific: Battery and a mere tap on the shoulder,” Kavanaugh says to Bryn. “And all Curtis Johnson seemed to hold was that that was excluded. So why don’t we follow what Curtis Johnson seemed to do in applying those general statements to the specific statute at issue here and why wouldn’t that then encompass the Florida statute, which requires more than, say, a tap on the shoulder?”

In the second argument, for the consolidated cases of United States v. Stitt and United States v. Sims, the question is whether burglary of “a nonpermanent or mobile structure that is adapted or used for overnight accommodation can qualify as ‘burglary’” under the ACCA.

Kennedy apparently decides that one hour of argument about the ACCA is enough, and he slips out at the break between the two arguments.

The Stitt and Sims argument will lead to questions about cars with mattresses, homeless people living in their cars in New York and Washington, and unoccupied recreational vehicles and campers.

Alito tells Erica Ross, an assistant to the solicitor general arguing that burglary of an unoccupied mobile structure should count as a strike under the ACCA, that the court has “made one royal mess” of its interpretations of the federal statute.

Ross says that is something the court may need to think about in “some case,” but “I apologize … for continuing to bring us back to this case.”

This simple point really tickles Justice Clarence Thomas for some reason, and he laughs heartily for several seconds.

Kavanaugh asks more questions in this second argument, though he also loses a couple of what I call “faceoffs” — when two justices battle for the floor, continuing to speak until one relents. He defers to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg at one point, and to Kagan at another. (Although the rule of thumb is that a junior justice ought to defer to a senior colleague in such situations, that rule is not always observed.)

Kavanaugh will have several extended colloquies, appearing more at ease with each one. Several times, Jeffrey Fisher of Stanford Law School, the court-appointed lawyer for the respondents in the second case, begins his answer by saying, “Well, Justice Kavanaugh, …”

It is in those tiny moments that the reality sinks in that Brett Kavanaugh of Maryland is now an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks JALLEN, your post reminds me of what (and who) we were fighting for.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I saw somewhere his first case will be Budweiser.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fake News: CNN Falsely Claims Clarence Thomas Accused of Sexual Assault

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...d-of-sexual-assault/

CNN’s Kaitlan Collins inaccurately claimed on Monday that Justice Clarence Thomas had been accused of sexual assault during his nomination hearings in late 1991. Her CNN colleague Kate Bolduan further neglected to correct the false statement.

Tom Shattuck

@tomshattuck

Incredible. Kaitlin Collins of @CNN reports that Clarence Thomas was accused of sexual assault. No producer catches it, nor any colleagues. No correction. @brianstelter ? I’m not even suggesting maliciousness but where is everyone?
6:19 AM - Oct 9, 2018

1,133 people are talking about this

Collins described Thomas’s applause of President Donald Trump’s comments regarding the presumption of innocence during Monday’s White House swearing-in ceremony of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

Collins said, “As President Trump was saying that this shows that you are still innocent until proven guilty. Clarence Thomas was seen clapping in the room. I don’t know if any of the other justices were, but Clarence Thomas, who of course, during his confirmation hearings was also accused of sexual assault, was there clapping, as well.”

A September-published article at CNN — ostensibly a timeline of the FBI’s investigation of Anita Hill’s allegations against Thomas in 1991 — makes no mention of “assault,” “physical,” “threat,” or “violence” in reference to Thomas. It notes that Thomas was accused of sexual harassment.

The New York Times published a similar reminiscence in September, making no mention of “sexual assault” — or physicality of any kind — in describing allegations made against Thomas.

Hill’s accusations against Thomas were advanced by Joe Biden — then a senator from Delaware and chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee — as cause to oppose Thomas’s confirmation. Biden voted against confirming Thomas, who was confirmed with a majority of 52 to 48 in the Senate.

CNN markets itself as a politically objective and non-partisan news media outlet, previously branding itself “The Most Trusted Name In News.” Its’ current slogan is “Facts First.”

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Who's gonna "take one for the team"?

Looks like it's all on you, babe, because your ass is GONE

Clueless bitch. Happy now? Is that enough attention for you?

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Good. Now investigate her ass.

Edited to add..
Fox says law enforcement is investigating.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the favorite pieces of literature to all America hating Leftists is "To Kill A Mocking Bird". OK, it is good literature or everyone, but Leftists particularly love pushing the the racism theme.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I have been struggling ever since this Blasley Ford woman came on the scene to understand why so many came out to say they found her credible, in the face of what seemed to me so many points of uncertainty, lack of corroboration, etc.

All I can think of is that very many confuse credibility with sympathy. Very different concepts.

I didn't find her credible at all. I truly believe this is another Psych Degree Professional self diagnosing herself. To me her testimony seemed more of a dream newly "remembered" as a memory or an implanted memory. A lot of the other missing aspects/gaps of her "memory" is very consistent and explained as something else other than an actual event. I had one case where the woman had just moved into my town and venue when she reported a a suspect who got in her home and raped her. When I ran her name through the area Police Report system, there were FOUR other reports with four other departments (the four other places she had lived at prior). All four reports described the EXACT SAME incident and suspect. It turned out of course that she was mental and kept having this nightmare where she was raped. None it happened and because she was mental (no mental health court at the time), no charges for filing false police report were ever filed.

Almost all of the sexual assault victims I have interviewed, even the ones who were drunk or drugged (drugged ones didn't remember exactly what happened after being drugged but they remembered everything before and after drug wore off), had extensive memories of the events. They remembered voices, sounds, breathing, body odor, cologne smell, etc. The case of the false report, I referenced above had the exact same gaps and inconsistencies as Ford's story.

This reflects my experiences as well. You can tell when the story does not ring true. Anyone who does not believe some women will develop stories of sexual assault is naïve or refusing to accept the reality of it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Who's gonna "take one for the team"?

Looks like it's all on you, babe, because your ass is GONE

Clueless bitch. Happy now? Is that enough attention for you?

I despise Twitter, FB and other types of mainstream social media. But I'll admit that it is very useful in weeding out these types, putting them under higher magnification.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
I have been struggling ever since this Blasley Ford woman came on the scene to understand why so many came out to say they found her credible, in the face of what seemed to me so many points of uncertainty, lack of corroboration, etc.

All I can think of is that very many confuse credibility with sympathy. Very different concepts.

I didn't find her credible at all. I truly believe this is another Psych Degree Professional self diagnosing herself. To me her testimony seemed more of a dream newly "remembered" as a memory or an implanted memory. A lot of the other missing aspects/gaps of her "memory" is very consistent and explained as something else other than an actual event. I had one case where the woman had just moved into my town and venue when she reported a a suspect who got in her home and raped her. When I ran her name through the area Police Report system, there were FOUR other reports with four other departments (the four other places she had lived at prior). All four reports described the EXACT SAME incident and suspect. It turned out of course that she was mental and kept having this nightmare where she was raped. None it happened and because she was mental (no mental health court at the time), no charges for filing false police report were ever filed.

Almost all of the sexual assault victims I have interviewed, even the ones who were drunk or drugged (drugged ones didn't remember exactly what happened after being drugged but they remembered everything before and after drug wore off), had extensive memories of the events. They remembered voices, sounds, breathing, body odor, cologne smell, etc. The case of the false report, I referenced above had the exact same gaps and inconsistencies as Ford's story.

This reflects my experiences as well. You can tell when the story does not ring true. Anyone who does not believe some women will develop stories of sexual assault is naïve or refusing to accept the reality of it.

It is truly amazing the reasons women make up to justify a sexual assault claim. Had one case, the "victim" did not want to give her name or contact information, she just wanted us to go arrest the guy based simply on just her statement of he drugged her and raped her (I am not kidding, that was the extent of her statement). Well, the guy didn't need to drug her as she bought (paid for her own drinks) and drank 7, let me repeat this, 7 Long Island Teas. Lucky for the guy there was witnesses and video (as they left the club) with her all over him. Once she was confronted with facts and evidence, she said she made it up, wanted to get him in trouble for him not calling her right away.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once she was confronted with facts and evidence, she said she made it up, wanted to get him in trouble for him not calling her right away.

Word to the wise: Don't Be That Guy. Call.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
But, but, I just wanted to "rent", not "own"... Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Once she was confronted with facts and evidence, she said she made it up, wanted to get him in trouble for him not calling her right away.

She reported it day and half later......I mean give a guy some space.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many will enjoy this account of Justice Kavanaugh’s first court day, thanks to Mark Walsh of SCOTUSBlog.
<snip>

I did enjoy this peek into the nuts and bolts of a SCOTUS hearing. Thanks for the post.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A better choice is - Don't stick your "unit" in crazy.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:

A better choice is - Don't stick your "unit" in crazy.

If you do, use a fake name, a burner phone, and NEVER take her to your residence. This way you can disappear like you went into Witness Protection. Wink